Options

Just getting started

Scott BoyScott Boy Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited October 6, 2007 in Landscapes
Hi, just getting started with my new Olympus E-500.. I'm still trying to figure out the camera and all the functions but I've been taking a lot of pics and just was looking for some feedback.. thanks

sunset2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Hey Scott Boy - congrats on getting a new camera. I'm sure you'll have fun with it. As for feedback, this image appears to have a few opportunities for improvement. First, I would say that it is too dark. Granted, it might have been a generally dark part of the day, but you can still give the image a bit more fill light without compromising the feeling of time of day. An adjustment to the contrast, or setting black and white points in photoshop could also go a long way to making this image pop. Without that post processing, the image is kind of flat and muddy. I think you can bring out much more with what you have here. It looks like you have a good range of colors to play with.

I like that you utilized the leaves and branches in the forground. That's a good framing technique to help add some depth and convey distance in the shot. The part that puzzles me is that both the foreground and the bridge in the distance seem to be a bit out of focus. In that regard, it leaves me wondering what the actual subject of the picture is.

Keep shooting and keep on posting! There are lots and lots of people on here who can give you great tips for making compelling images. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    Hey thank a lot, I don't have photoshop yet so that pic is pretty much "as it was taken" it was just about dark so that's why it is so dark. I'm getting a copy of photoshop tonight so I'll start learning how to mess with that too.. as for the focus I just didn't get it right (still trying to figure out this camera) I think the focus kind of got caught on the water... thanks for the feedback.

Scott
    Hey Scott Boy - congrats on getting a new camera. I'm sure you'll have fun with it. As for feedback, this image appears to have a few opportunities for improvement. First, I would say that it is too dark. Granted, it might have been a generally dark part of the day, but you can still give the image a bit more fill light without compromising the feeling of time of day. An adjustment to the contrast, or setting black and white points in photoshop could also go a long way to making this image pop. Without that post processing, the image is kind of flat and muddy. I think you can bring out much more with what you have here. It looks like you have a good range of colors to play with.

I like that you utilized the leaves and branches in the forground. That's a good framing technique to help add some depth and convey distance in the shot. The part that puzzles me is that both the foreground and the bridge in the distance seem to be a bit out of focus. In that regard, it leaves me wondering what the actual subject of the picture is.

Keep shooting and keep on posting! There are lots and lots of people on here who can give you great tips for making compelling images. Good luck!
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Exposing sunsets dark helps preserve the reds which are particularly prone to getting washed out of you expose them brighter. You might have been able to get away with a stop more exposure on this one, but no more.

As for the softness, my guess is that it is camera shake rather than out of focus. What was the shutter speed on this? Sunset shots often require a tripod.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    On my Olympus E-500 in the scenes mode they have a sunset setting.... I haven't mastered most of the settings on the camera yet, I've only had it about a week and a half but I'm trying. thanks
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    I think this is a great shot first few times out. Don't think anyone on here is looking down on you or something. We're all just trying to improve. Take me for example. I was in your shoes not too long ago, and the absolute best thing you can do is post all over this site. Reading the tutorials (top of screen) and looking at tons of photos (including their EXIF data) and techniques is what it's all about. I've often found that 'presets' are useful only for their EXIF data. Take a peek at it and see what the camera did, then learn how to make an adjustment to get what YOU want out of the camera (in manual or a priority mode). Learn the nuiances of your camera, like what ISO's cause noise, how to add exposure compensation, and such. It sounds cheesy, but read the manual if necessary - know your camera down to being able to change almost any setting in the DARK.

As for PS, if you want a free alternative until you get it loaded up you may want to tryout the GIMP - an excellent open-source alternative.

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

Happy shooting and as always, congrats on new gear!clap.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler