Options

Justi's "not as good as Davev" Glacier Shots

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited October 11, 2007 in Journeys
I've been processing a few shots from Glacier, and I know one thing for certain. It'll be a while before I get as good as some of the other folks on that trip. Also, Dixie is scary good at finding critters. Additionally, Schmoo is far too talented, and must therefore be destroyed.

I have come to realize that my quest to become the world's greatest photographer can only be accomplished by the elimination of all other photographers.

Regardless, here are a few of the more acceptable shots I got:

Mule Deer

203485493-M.jpg

203485603-M.jpg

My one and only bear shot:

203486346-M.jpg

Mountain Goats, or "why I really need that 400mm and TC" (thanks for lending me the lens Terrance):

203486758-M.jpg

203486979-M.jpg

What I might have entered in the LPS, had we the ability to access the internet:

203487267-M.jpg

203488901-M.jpg

Who needs grizzlies, when you have Grouse?

203490745-M.jpg

When they said the 10-22 was too wide for a polarizer, they weren't kidding:

203491110-M.jpg

203492027-M.jpg

"painting with light" thanks to Darth Nikolai

204248748-M.jpg

Big Chief Mountain

204248132-M.jpg
204249652-M.jpg

What Urban grungeshooters find, even in Montana:

204249178-M.jpg

Moonset:
204249384-L.jpg
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    DOOOD!

You are so modest. These are great - especially your views of the land. I did pass by that abandoned house a bunch of times after I saw your shot of it but the sky was never that good behind it.

You got some awesome wildlife in there, too. I can actually, like, see legs on those mountain goats. clap.gif

Sorry I didn't get to go shooting with you more but I'm glad that you went around with the wildlife Mastah. The only moose I saw was the chocolate mousse at dinner.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    ... Dixie is scary good at finding critters. Additionally, Schmoo is far too talented, and must therefore be destroyed.
    203491110-S.jpg

203492027-S.jpg

These are the best photos of this set, Justiceiro. :D
    The others are good but not that good ! thumb.gif
    Can you please give the links to the pictures of those you want to destroy for being so good ?
    I would like to see their pictures. mwink.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    The only moose I saw was the chocolate mousse at dinner.
    OMG thanks for making me laugh so early in the day, Steph! rolleyes1.gifrofl

Justi, these images are awesome....I just LOVE the grungeshack. And the light painting shot...wow, that is very creative and beautiful. Also agree with Antonio on the wide angle shots...beautiful colors and scenery. Thanks for sharing your trip with those of us who couldn't go!!! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    A fine bit of work my large bear-like friend. You need to find the Portuguese word for "image maker" and use that as an alter-ego.

The wildlife shots look real good. Try bringing up the details in the shadows and punching up the color in the leaves a little bit.

I love the shots from the cross location. Fantastic color and detail in the sky.

For the abandoned house, try less of a crop. Here's my version of the house. I like the way the weird sky overpowers the house. That's just me of course.

203442997-S-2.jpg
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    You need to find the Portuguese word for "image maker" and use that as an alter-ego.

15524779-Ti.gif

Especially for when you want to shoot kids and puppies!
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Amazing pics, but I really love that last one. As I was scolling through the images and got to that moonset image I was blown away. :oogle

Great shot! clap.gif
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Hey Ryan!
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I've been processing a few shots from Glacier, and I know one thing for certain. It'll be a while before I get as good as some of the other folks on that trip. Also, Dixie is scary good at finding critters. Additionally, Schmoo is far too talented, and must therefore be destroyed.

I have come to realize that my quest to become the world's greatest photographer can only be accomplished by the elimination of all other photographers.

Regardless, here are a few of the more acceptable shots I got:

Glad to see you're back online! iloveyou.gif
    Had a good trip back home?
    Nice piccies! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    image maker = criador de imagens

thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    bowdown.gif awesome! Very nice thumb.gif

Those mountain goats are so cool! I never knew they actually went up that steep hills lol3.gif (my country has the elevation of a pancake)

schmooo wrote:
    The only moose I saw was the chocolate mousse at dinner.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsUYTNdNPqo mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    (my country has the elevation of a pancake)
    If I remember anything from my Geography classes and my 3 month stay in Rijswijk (a small town between Delpht and Den Haage), it's a pancake situated 8 meters BELOW the sea level mwink.gif What's the term for negative elevation?
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    ivar wrote:

I have a debilitating fear of muppets!!! :wow

lol3.gif
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Great pics Ryan. How did you ever get such great shots of the mountain goats? bowdown.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Nice work, Ryan. Really love the sky in the wide shots from the drive to East Glacier! And the Montana Grunge shot.

(why is it that everyone competes with Davev?)

ann
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Nice work, Ryan. Really love the sky in the wide shots from the drive to East Glacier! And the Montana Grunge shot.

(why is it that everyone competes with Davev?)

ann

As Ric Flare would say "To BE the man you have to BEAT the man." :D
    Any wrestling fan will know what I'm talking about.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I have a debilitating fear of muppets!!! :wow
    headscratch.gif
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    davev wrote:
    As Ric Flare would say "To BE the man you have to BEAT the man." :D
    Any wrestling fan will know what I'm talking about.

Amen Brother!!
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    These are great Ryan. You don't give yourself enough credit. None of us can ever be as good as Davev rolleyes1.gif. I can't remember who I was driving with but I pointed out the red shack you got such a great shot of and they wouldn't believe it was the same one. You've got a great eye for broken down buildings. I hope to see you again next year. Maybe you'll even let me use your Panosaurous then beer.gif.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    You've got a great eye for broken down buildings.

Hence my living in Jersey City.

I hope to see you again next year. Maybe you'll even let me use your Panosaurous then beer.gif.

I definitely want to come to Arches next year, bt my cash liquidity is tapped out- the $300 signup fee already went to steaks at the lodge. I may need a month or so to recharge the batteries. Also, I may well be living in germany next year. Shootout in Berlin anyone?
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Also, I may well be living in germany next year. Shootout in Berlin anyone?

IN!
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Shootout in Berlin anyone?
    Ja, ja! Fotobildungen machen mir spaß, herr Hasselhoff! :D
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Ja, ja! Fotobildungen machen mir spaß, herr Hasselhoff! :D

The wife had the big dinner meeting with her potential boss last night, so it looks 95% certain that next year we will be in Ludwigshafen. IIRC that's about 4 hours from Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam and Geneva, more or less. Should be good shooting!

Here are a couple of more from Glacier. I need to chill out this weekend and do some more processing, BUT, given that this is the last fall weekend I'll be spending in the US with decent weather, Saturday it is Appalachian style smoked pork at Chez Jusicierre in Jersey City. If your in the neighborhood, drop by.205827117-L.jpg

205825359-L.jpg

204249980-L.jpg

204248132-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    The wife had the big dinner meeting with her potential boss last night, so it looks 95% certain that next year we will be in Ludwigshafen. IIRC that's about 4 hours from Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam and Geneva, more or less. Should be good shooting!

Here are a couple of more from Glacier. I need to chill out this weekend and do some more processing, BUT, given that this is the last fall weekend I'll be spending in the US with decent weather, Saturday it is Appalachian style smoked pork at Chez Jusicierre in Jersey City. If your in the neighborhood, drop by.

Wow wonderful landscapes!! This is the best I've seen from you (although I admit I miss the gritty tramping-through-politically-unstable-countries look that I associate with ya ;) )

We're actually in the NY/NJ area this weekend! I'll ring ya up even if it's just for a beer.gif

(And congrats for the move!)
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Congrats! Man, you've picked up a photogenic location! I'm all envy! thumb.gif
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Here are a couple of more from Glacier.
    Nice piccies. I like the #1 most, great juxtaposition! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Peter McLarenPeter McLaren Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Great images
    Who are you trying to kid:D ....There great images; I really like the wide angle with the polarizer I think it gives a rather appealing surreal effect. Great work, Peter