Eastern State Penitentiary - Philadelphia, PA

2»

Comments

• KevinhooaKevinhooa Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    Cool shots. It's really a great time when they do the haunted walk in October. That tripod thing is new within the last couple of years. When I first went there in 2006 they didn't care.
    Kevin H. (Owls Flight)

There seems to be less and less garden in this state.
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    ya i thought at first, wow great they Allow tripods, LUCKY!!!
    but well i noticed your last comment so... lol

really,really great Shots i dont know what to chose, and SURE, it IS a Creepy place, and also feels sad...(just remembered "the count of Mont Kristo" Movie, and what he have experienced in that prison, and what he had been through). to live with no light

Well Done :)
  • NikonShooterNikonShooter Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    Hi Linda,
    Thanks for the info...... You just saved me $599.99. I was on the fense with the Tokina 11-16 for this day trip. I think I'm becoming a gear junkie...lol
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    I think that using a wide angle lens like that Tokina on the concourses would yield an awesome shot.

With regard to tripods, they charge you a small fee to bring one in with you. You could probably get away with using a bean bag in places to stabilize our camera.

ESP is a cool place. It felt pretty creepy though. You do meet all kinds of folks there and I mean ALL kinds. We ran into a ghost hunter group. The woman in charge was trying to "connect" with the spirits there. She wanted to take her shirt and bra off to see if she could entice the male spirits there to come over to her group. Apparently she did that in Gettysburg and it worked. lol3.gifgigglerolleyes1.gif It was more than I and my friend wanted to see, so we left....Laughing.gif.
    Linda,
    Were you locked into a tour group or was it ok to wonder around at will? Now I'm back on that fence again...... Thanks.. lol
    We could walk about as we pleased and at our own pace. You could rent a set of earphones and listen to a recording describing a particular area or you could just read the markers. With regard to the headphones, you just plugged them into a jack when you got to a location, if I remember correctly. They also had guided tours. Try to get there on a weekday or when they first open on a weekend. Have lunch at that former firehouse across the street. There is a parking lot just down the street. As a matter of fact, parking was a breeze!
    I plan on being there when the doors are open first thing in the morning. I hope they will let me wonder around at my own pace. I'm getting even more excited now...
    edited September 23, 2010
    I plan on being there when the doors are open first thing in the morning. I hope they will let me wonder around at my own pace. I'm getting even more excited now...

You won't have a problem wandering around. For safety purposes some prison areas are closed to the public. But you won't be disappointed.

Can't wait to see your shots! thumb.gif
  • bikergirlbikergirl Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    Fantastic shots and write up on a very interesting and different subject. Excellent bowdown.gif
    edited October 5, 2010
    Here is one from my last trip on Sunday. I found this place intimidating and eerie

dsc3452edited1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • bikergirlbikergirl Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Superb
    edited October 6, 2010
    Awww....you got a color shot of my little buddy. :D You had some gorgeous fall weather in Phillie last weekend, too.

He came out great, BTW.

Let's see more!!!! :lurk
    edited October 6, 2010
    I came upon this mural through the Chapel. This area is locked. I spotted it while on my knees changing out a lense. The colors just popped out at me. Shot through a glass window on my knees.

dsc3422r.jpg
    edited October 6, 2010
    Another nice one! thumb.gif

Feel free to start your own travelogue in Journeys about your trip to ESP. This way your shots won't be buried at the end of this thread where people might miss them.

I love seeing other peoples' photos of places that I've been too. For me it's fun revisiting them through someone else's eyes. :D
  • joedifjoedif Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Here is one from my last trip on Sunday. I found this place intimidating and eerie

dsc3452edited1.jpg

Marvelous shot!!

My SmugMug
  • joedifjoedif Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    Hope you don't mind me posting one. This was taken a few months back

937650784_S4z26-M.jpg

My SmugMug
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2010
    wow very informative love that you shot in black and white very fitting for the place thanks for shareing I enjoyed it