Fall in Utah: Good while it lasted

Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited October 10, 2007 in Landscapes
While it's not officially over, I have a feeling that after this weekend snow, it more than likely will be. Which is ok--cause I'm jonesing like no other to ski some pow. The colors weren't off the hook this year by any means, but Mother Nature does what she does, and we deal. Anyway, I've been traveling so much for work that my time to shoot here in the Wasatch was somewhat limited. Regardless, it was nice to get out a bit and shoot. BTW-- for anyone nearby in Salt Lake City, I'll be teaching a fall photography course at the SLC REI on Tuesday, Oct. 9 for anyone interested. It starts at 7 pm and is free. Hope to see you there.

Cascade Peak w Alpine Loop
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3405&g2_serialNumber=2

Alpine Loop
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3403&g2_serialNumber=2

LCC w Fall Dusting
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3209&g2_serialNumber=2

LCC Maple Canopy
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3413&g2_serialNumber=2

LCC Maple Canopy (I had no idea how much this image would resemble an infrared image when I shot it--defnitely one of my favorites from this fall.
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3411&g2_serialNumber=2

More Alpine Loop
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3401&g2_serialNumber=2

And again...
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3399&g2_serialNumber=2

Yet again. This is a departure for me, and I'm looking forward to more of it.
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3397&g2_serialNumber=2

LCC
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3214&g2_serialNumber=2

More LCC
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3407&g2_serialNumber=2

Lastly, some gratuitous fishing shots. What would fall be without fly fishing?
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3415&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3417&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3419&g2_serialNumber=2

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3423&g2_serialNumber=2
It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Beautiful shots...

It's funny, that first fishing shot, when I looked at it I saw a nice stream closeup, then I saw the fisherman and the scale became apparent. (hold your thumb over the fisherman to see what I mean)

Must say that surprised both me and my eyes. thumb.gif
    Randy
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Beautiful. I grew up in Salt Lake City. The Wasatch mountains hold a special spot in my heart. Beautiful. And you did great justice to their beauty. Good luck with your course at REI (my other favorite store aside from B&H).
    edited October 5, 2007
    Also - I was wondering if you do anything special to get your colors like that? They are very vibrant, but not overdone.
  • Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Also - I was wondering if you do anything special to get your colors like that? They are very vibrant, but not overdone.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Addressing your question Swinton, I have been using selective color much more than saturation these days. I find it produces a more realistic representation of the vibrant colors, without overdoing it. I do still use saturation, but rarely, if ever pump any particular color beyond 7.

• hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    "Maple Canopy" takes my breath away. All gorgeous. Wow!! Thanks for sharing.
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Fantastic variety of shots, and I really like them all. Some pretty, colorful landscapes, and some tighter shots that show just the *right* composition and colors, or get down with their B&W bad self.
    clap.gifclap.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    A truly wonderful series of shots! Hard to pick a favorite, but I love the maple canopies. Both color and B&W conversions are awesome! You captured some great light. thumb.gif
  • Lyle CLyle C Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Wonderful images! Love the color, composition and detail.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 7, 2007
    Very nice shots you've got. I do like the maple shot as well.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 7, 2007
    Grizzle6 wrote:
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Addressing your question Swinton, I have been using selective color much more than saturation these days. I find it produces a more realistic representation of the vibrant colors, without overdoing it. I do still use saturation, but rarely, if ever pump any particular color beyond 7.

I have never really used the selective color tool. Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on how to put it to its best use?
    edited October 7, 2007
    I have never really used the selective color tool. Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on how to put it to its best use?

My best suggestion is to use it with moderation. Just as the sautration tool can get out of hand, so can this. That said, I feel it's a much more natural way of representing the colors. Unless you're well-versed on color theory, this tool is a lot of trial and error. Screw around with it, and familiarize yourself with it. You'll figure it out soon enough!

• theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Fall Photography Class @ REI
    Adam,

Thanks for all the fall photo tips tonight at REI in Salt Lake. I really enjoyed your presentation and the information you shared. And it’s always nice to meet a fellow DGrinner.
  • Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    I love the fishing shots! My father and I went up Logan Canyon fishing on the 8th. The leaves up there were awesome. Lots of yellow quaken aspens. Very nice job!
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Very nice.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited October 10, 2007
    theNOIZ wrote:
    Adam,

Thanks for all the fall photo tips tonight at REI in Salt Lake. I really enjoyed your presentation and the information you shared. And it’s always nice to meet a fellow DGrinner.

Always great to meet a fellow dgrinner (in fact--I think you're the first I've met!), and thanks for coming to the seminar. Hope to see you again in the future.

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    A friend of mine on here who is a lurker was supposed to go last night as well. I hope she made it in time! mwink.gif
    edited October 10, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    A friend of mine on here who is a lurker was supposed to go last night as well. I hope she made it in time! mwink.gif

Yup. Leah made it, and it was great to meet her.