My first photo post!

patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
edited October 11, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hello everyone...

I am quite new to macros and enjoy taking then of flowers and the insects that live in my garden....

I hope you will enjoy this one!

Patricia........

Comments

• teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Very Nice
    We have an insect here in florida that looks does like yours in sweden.
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    awww, I really like your friend! However, he looks a little out of focus... did you crop a lot or lose it on compression? You might be able to clean it up a lil' with the Unsharp mark from the tutorials.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1104535
    I think that's it.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • ravicravic Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Yes, it seems to be out of focus.
    Let's try together!
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Thank you all for your comments....

Its heavily cropped as i got in a bit of a tizzy posting the attachment...going to try linking to my on line album....then you will see what i wanted to post...ah well gotta learn!!!!

We could try doing a focus thing on this one ...if you really think its possible???

I think this wasp kind of insect is quite common around the world....they have them in England too!!!

Patricia...........wings.gif

22-9-2007SAMSUNGMACROS040-1.jpg
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    MUCH better clap.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    We have an insect here in florida that looks does like yours in sweden.

I am learning too Patricia so here we go. I am in Scotland so here is one of our wasps. A damned good job it was dead or I would never have succeded.204061616-L.jpg
    edited October 6, 2007
    Thank you "King" for the link to the tute....Happy you think the second one better!!

Canon.....You have to be brave and get out there...i get well among the wasps when shooting and looking for other creepy things.....I used to really nervous of anything flying or creeping around...now i hunt for them....cant believe there are so many photographic little creatures in my garden....anyway its good exercise chasing the butterflies and other flyers around...HA HA!!!

Most of my photos in the link below were taken with a point and shoot...so i have to get close....Have to practice with my Canon Rebel lots.....trying the lenses at the mo to see what i can do with them....

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/patkaybeaumont/MACROSOFANYTHINGTHATMOVESINMYGARDEN

Patricia............:photo
    edited October 6, 2007
    Hello everyone...

I am quite new to macros and enjoy taking then of flowers and the insects that live in my garden....

I hope you will enjoy this one!

Patricia........

Here is another one of our pests. I am sorry I cannot get the photo to go down so I can add a caption. Cheers Bob
    204061546-L.jpg
    edited October 6, 2007
    Like this one Bob....Looks to me like you will be hooked on doing these...very soon.....nice to compare all our little visitors...not that i know the names of many!!!

Patricia.........:ivar
    edited October 7, 2007
    Thank you "King" for the link to the tute....Happy you think the second one better!!

Canon.....You have to be brave and get out there...i get well among the wasps when shooting and looking for other creepy things.....I used to really nervous of anything flying or creeping around...now i hunt for them....cant believe there are so many photographic little creatures in my garden....anyway its good exercise chasing the butterflies and other flyers around...HA HA!!!

Most of my photos in the link below were taken with a point and shoot...so i have to get close....Have to practice with my Canon Rebel lots.....trying the lenses at the mo to see what i can do with them....

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/patkaybeaumont/MACROSOFANYTHINGTHATMOVESINMYGARDEN

Hi Patricia,
    I didn't get time to finish my quote above. It was a good job it was dead because I can never get close enough. By the time I shoot it has moved. I used a Canon 60mm F2.8 Macro on this shot. However, brian gave me a couple of exercises to do with the extension tubes and if you care to look at the thread in this Forum 'Colour in Macro you will see the results. I also tried the tubes on my Canon 50mm F1.8 prime lens and wow it is just as good as the macro lens. I would be pleased to hear what you have to say about this.
    edited October 7, 2007

Hi Patricia,
    I have just looked through your Macro Album and they are brilliant. Did you take all those with a point and shoot digital? I use the Canon 400D but have just got the 40D. If you look at the thread I made Macro in Colour I am sure it will help you with the settings of your Canon Rebel and lens etc.
    Kind Regards
    Bob
    Scotland
    edited October 7, 2007
    Like this one Bob....Looks to me like you will be hooked on doing these...very soon.....nice to compare all our little visitors...not that i know the names of many!!!

Patricia.........:ivar
    Hi Patricia,
    Yes I have just started with photography about 3 months ago and I have just started this macrophotography and I love the results you see on here and that includes yours too. The problem I find is by the time I get the just focus just about right, it has Gone. headscratch.gif Mmmm never mind I will just keep trying and hoping.
    Kind Regards
    Bob
    edited October 7, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Patricia,
    I didn't get time to finish my quote above. It was a good job it was dead because I can never get close enough. By the time I shoot it has moved. I used a Canon 60mm F2.8 Macro on this shot. However, brian gave me a couple of exercises to do with the extension tubes and if you care to look at the thread in this Forum 'Colour in Macro you will see the results. I also tried the tubes on my Canon 50mm F1.8 prime lens and wow it is just as good as the macro lens. I would be pleased to hear what you have to say about this.

I am really intersted to learn about extension tubes and how to connect them to the lens and camera....do you have to have a special ring to attach them....see they sell them at Jessops...will check out the prices here first and then if they are horiffic i will ask my son to get them in England....Want so much for my camera....never ending but i must get a remote for taking photos when using the tripod! Going to look at Brians thread when i have answered your posts!!!

Guess we are learning together...although you are ahead of me with gear...but i am not scared of the small stuff!!! rolleyes1.gif

Patricia..........
    edited October 7, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Patricia,
    I have just looked through your Macro Album and they are brilliant. Did you take all those with a point and shoot digital? I use the Canon 400D but have just got the 40D. If you look at the thread I made Macro in Colour I am sure it will help you with the settings of your Canon Rebel and lens etc.
    Kind Regards
    Bob
    Scotland

So glad you liked my macros...its fun to share...I used a Canon powershot 300 and a new one i bought to carry with me at all times....Samsung S 1050...its a great little camera 10 mega pix with a 1.1 macro setting and soooo many other functions....I do love my rebel...but its too big to have with every day....I have a lensbabie bendy lens for that too and i am learining how to bend it to get the best results...will post my attempts soon!!!

Patricia.....
    edited October 7, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Patricia,
    Yes I have just started with photography about 3 months ago and I have just started this macrophotography and I love the results you see on here and that includes yours too. The problem I find is by the time I get the just focus just about right, it has Gone. headscratch.gif Mmmm never mind I will just keep trying and hoping.
    Kind Regards
    Bob

Are you using a tripod? Its not the best time of year now for insects as i imagine it will be getting cold in Scotland as it is here in Sweden...July for me is the best month...usually the bees and wasps like yellow flowers so there are lots to shoot....Maybe if you set up your tripod ,get the focus right on a place where there are a few and shoot in continuos...you are bound to get some good and even great shots!!!!
    Last summer was amazing for butterflies here never seen so many different ones...i didnt shoot on a tripod just chased them round the garden and shot in continuos....at some time i will post some of those too....I have every confidence you will get there as when you get interested in something...you are halfway there!!!
    Dont know what time you looked at my album but i added more this afternoon...

Good luck and thanks for your help!!!

Patricia......thumb.gif
    edited October 7, 2007
    Just thought i would include another one....

Patricia........
    101_0135.jpg
    edited October 7, 2007
    Bob.....
    Practice on these...they dont move fast!!!rolleyes1.gif

110_1088.jpg
  • Sir HawkinsSir Hawkins Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Wow
    Holy cow!!! Thoughts snails are big... Here in michigan we dont get them or at lest i havent see any....
    edited October 11, 2007
    Sir Hawkins...If you had them ...I am sure you would see them as when its wet there are many in my garden...

Bob...I was only joking!!!!

Patricia.............rolleyes1.gif