yes, no, maybe so?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited October 6, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Are the jagged edges of a leaf (and its shadow) considered craggy? Or do I need to keep trying?

204447508-L-1.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Are the jagged edges of a leaf (and its shadow) considered craggy? Or do I need to keep trying?
    First of all, gorgeous picture Elaine...I love the colors and the DOF.

As far as the theme, if it were the leaf alone, it might be a bit weak. But what's interesting is that the OOF shape of the tree mimics the leaf's craggy edge, so I think it's a great entry!!! clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Hi Elaine,

I agree with Lynne in that it's really nice to see the blurred trees mirroring the subject. But the shadows don't seem well-placed IMO. they are a little dark and although I understand and agree that the photo wouldn't be "craggy" without strong shadows, they seem to be hiding details more than anything else.

Maybe a backlit leaf? I dunno... I think leaves have a lot of potential little details in them but I'm not sure how I'd approach it myself. ne_nau.gif

I think you're on the right track, though. :)
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Thank you, both, for your replies! I'm glad I'm not totally off base anyway. Maybe I'll enter it and see if I can come up with something else better. ne_nau.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Elaine, I agree with Lynne and Schmooo. Beautiful photo. It may just be me, but the hand looks a little too yellow. Aside from that, it looks great.