Options

? regarding watermarks and power user accounts & lightroom

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited October 8, 2007 in Finishing School
not sure if this is the right place to post so if not pleae move - cheers.

here it goes, i have a power user account and as such i can not use smugmug to add a watermark to my photos. i have 100s of photos in lightroom that i would like to add a watermark to (not to mention many photos currently residing in my smugmug account)

questions, what is the easiest way to add a watermark to the photos in my lightroom catalog? i am assuming i will have to export them and then import them into PS3 and then back out of ps3. Is there an easy way to batch this or do i have to do it manually? anyone have experience in this:dunno?

cheers,

Dave

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Dave, make sure you have something in the Copyright field in the metadata. Then use File>Export, check the watermark box, and you'll be all set thumb.gif
    skitch-20071006-084857.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    i am still doing something wrong
    thanks Andy.

i did waht you said (when did they add the watermark copywright to lightroom) anyway when i exported a photo to my desktop, with watermark checked and something in the copywright field i did not see a watermark "on top" of the photo. here is an example of a photo that i exported as mentioned above. do i need to create a watermark in PS first and put it somewhere in lightroom? here is a link to the below photo

http://fotosbydavid.smugmug.com/gallery/3598407#204606104

204606104-M.jpg

does the water mark show up "on the" photo or is it just in the metadata
    Andy wrote:
    Dave, make sure you have something in the Copyright field in the metadata. Then use File>Export, check the watermark box, and you'll be all set thumb.gif
    skitch-20071006-084857.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    thanks Andy.
    Dave,

you must have © Dave
    or something like that in the Copyright field in the LR Metadata. Then when you export, it will be on the photo.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Dave,

It worked for you. Look very closely in the lower left corner. It's not that large and certainly can be missed.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    ok, i found something out you must have constrain maximum size checked
    if you dont check constrain maximum size the copywright mark is almost invisible.

is there a way to make the copywright watermark bigger? i am assuming anyone can crop the little corner off, maybe what i am looking for is a big proof mark to put across the entire photo.

Dave
    Andy wrote:
    Dave,

you must have © Dave
    or something like that in the Copyright field in the LR Metadata. Then when you export, it will be on the photo.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    if you dont check constrain maximum size the copywright mark is almost invisible.

is there a way to make the copywright watermark bigger? i am assuming anyone can crop the little corner off, maybe what i am looking for is a big proof mark to put across the entire photo.

Dave
    You'll need to use photoshop for that.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    that is what i thought
    is there a way to batch a bunch of photos in photoshop or will i have to do them one by one or upgrade to a pro account

Dave
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Do it the easy way
    Upgrade to a Pro Smugmug Account. It gives you more options.
    When I export small jpegs (for proofs) from Lightroom to SM, I use Lightroom to add the watermark. If you upload a small image, the watermark appears larger, but still in the lower left corner. If I am uploading a full sized image, I use the SM watermarking that I created in PS. My workflow management sucks, but at least with a Pro SM account you have options about your watermarking.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Dave,

Thanks for posting the question. I found out how to place the watermark, but was looking for ways to increase the size and font as well. LR has a lot of room for improvement in this area. I don't have PS, so I will have to find a 3rd party application to add before posting to a website.

Dale