Options

Shopping for Tripod according to One's Stature??

2»

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Just to throw a monkey wrench into the discussion:

Designed for professional use, the 3021Pro can easily hold anything from 35mm to small view camera systems. What sets it apart from the 3021N is the capacity of the center column. Converting easily to a lateral arm, this allows the photographer to mount the column ninety degrees relative to the legs, making for completely unobstructed straight-down shooting. This is a huge advantage for macro shooters.

I have this one, and while it, combined with the ball head, is heavier than I would like, it has served me well.

I am waiting for the rumored carbon III helium filled tripod to become commercially available. :D

Sam
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Pick any two of three
    You can have any two of the following three attributes - but, genarally (unless you find an exceptional used bargain) you cannot have all three"

1. Sturdy
    2. Light
    3. Cheap

I don't believe that you can be too short to use most tripods because the legs retract. You can be too tall to comfortably use many shorter tripods without extending the center column.

You might look at eBay and seek a Bogen/Manfrotto (they are the same) 3001, 3001P, 3021 or 3011 tripod legs. These can usually be had for under $100 and usually for quite a bit less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bogen-3001-Professional-Tripod_W0QQitemZ220159210932QQihZ012QQcategoryZ30095QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Put a Manfrotto Midi 488RC2 Ball Head and you will have a tripod that is not too awfully heavy but, which will easily support your 70-200mm f/2.8L lens.

I have a 3001P which is a bit scratched up but in excellent mechanical condition along with a nearly new 488RC2 Midi Ball head that I will let go for $90.00.
  • Options
    kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    THANK YOU EVERYONE for your helpful and very informative posts!! Mary (Dogdots) helped to make the deciding factor in the purchase of the tripod I was looking at--thanks, Mary! Although I haven't had the opportunity to use it much yet, so far I'm really happy with it and don't regret the purchase. I may order a ball head for it though.

Thank you to the others for posting--with 3 little ones, and at this point it being a hobby, I didn't feel like I could justify going with the models pointed out ($$) though I will definitely keep these in mind for future!! If (hoping for when rather than if) I get to the point where I can bring in some income from my habit, mwink.gif I can upgrade then. Until then...wish list deal.gif
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    kenlyne: I'm so happy you like the tripod. Helping and giving advice sometimes doesn't work out well, so I'm so afraid to do so. But when I saw you were looking at the same one I purchased -- I figured what the heck, help you out some.

I too love mine. And someday in the future I will get a ball head. Till then I have something I can use, it works, costs some, but not much.

When ever I make a big sale I will buy an expensive one as a "gift" for hard work :D .

---Mary