Options

Photoshop help needed.

Stella BellaStella Bella Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
edited December 29, 2007 in Finishing School
I have seen a couple of pictures on other sites that seem to incorporate 2 or more pictures merged together. For example, there was a picture where a woman took a self portrait of her doing three different things in her kitchen and then merged them together. The final product look like one kitchen and three of her doing different things. How would you get this effect. I understand that you would set your camera on a tripod and take three pictures with your subject in different places, but what would you do in PS after that to merge them all? TIA.

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    I have seen a couple of pictures on other sites that seem to incorporate 2 or more pictures merged together. For example, there was a picture where a woman took a self portrait of her doing three different things in her kitchen and then merged them together. The final product look like one kitchen and three of her doing different things. How would you get this effect. I understand that you would set your camera on a tripod and take three pictures with your subject in different places, but what would you do in PS after that to merge them all? TIA.
    Here's one I did with my steps:
    • Set camera on tripod
    • Set exposure to manual and adjust it for proper exposure (you don't want the exposure to change from one shot to the next)
    • Try to set up a scene where the background will not change at all (this will make the post processing a ton easier)
    • Be careful of shadows
    • Pose the first shot and take the picutre
    • Repeat for all the other shots without moving the camera at all and try to make sure the subject that moves does not overlap from one photo to the next
    • Take all the photos and load them into Photoshop in layers one on top of the other
    • At this point all you will see is the contents of the top photo
    • Create a mask for the top layer. In the mask, fill the mask with black, then with a soft brush paint white only on the unique position of your subject. You can use a brush with a soft edge and just paint generally over your subject. Since the background of all your shots should align perfectly, you don't have to do a careful mask. All you want to do here is to expose the whole subject in this layer (let it shine through the mask) and not paint over any area of the background that contains other positions of your subject (don't let this layer's background shine through any of the other positions of the subject from below)
    • For each other layer except the bottom layer, repeat this same masking process, allowing that layer's unique subject position to show through, but not covering any of the subject positions below
    • After you've done all the layer masks except the bottom one, you should be done
    • Merge all layers up to a single new layer (I used Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E)
    • Do any final post processing (color, contrast, brightness, sharpening) on the composite layer
    • Save to JPEG
    Here is one of mine I did for my nephew and his friend (they were trying to mimick an album cover they'd seen). This one was a little harder because the waves in the ocean did move from one image to the next so I had to so some hand blending of the background too.

The layer palette:
    204735385-O-1.jpg

And the final image:
    204729682-M.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Stack your photos and use Layer Masks to reveal what you want revealed.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    Thanks so much! I'm going to try it out in the morning!
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    Tried it and it worked perfectly. thanks!
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    will the photostitch do this?
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    will the photostitch do this?

Usually, photostitching is for combining several photos end-to-end to make one longer photo when the camera has moved to a new orientation between photos.

That isn't what we're doing here. Here a piece of the subject moves, not the background. It might be possible to use such a program for certain types of these projects, but it's very easy just using layers in Photoshop.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2007
    here is my first try. just went to the backyard and tried it out.

205293325-M.jpg
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Nice job, first attempt.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    sreejassreejas Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2007
    Image masking
    You can use Masking techniques to bring interesting effects in an Image by controlling which parts of an image need to be painted. You can apply an Image mask to an image. You can also use an image as a mask to achieve an effect that?s opposite from applying an image mask. Use color to mask parts of an image, which includes the technique referred to as chroma-key masking. Get the complex images masked with a ease and perfection. With an Image where hair is a complex criterion masking comes first. There are various types of masking -Simple and Detailed. Sai BPO Services Ltd (SBL) is adaptive in performing each type of masking whether Simple masking or Complex masking with ease and perfection. SBL as an Image masking service provider has a workflow over India, UK and Australia providing masking services to all the clients keeping TAT and Quality in mind. With the dedication and quality of workers at SBL; it is one among the Best Image masking service providers.
    For more details:-http://www.saibposervices.com/Image_masking.aspx