Options

Wide angle and fast

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited March 4, 2005 in Cameras
Ok, shot at the club last night with my new 20D and the 50 f/1.8 (broke after a wedding and a honeymoon so I had to stay cheap). The ISO and speed of the camera still amazes me...but 50 is not wide enough.

Sooooo, since I am still low in the cash department, what do you recommend for a comparable lens to the 50 f/1.8? I need it to be fast (1.4/1.8/2.8) since people are dancing and it is dark in there.

Samples from last night:
http://studio819.smugmug.com/gallery/420245

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    I like the 16-35mm f/2.8 and have my eyes on the 24mm f/1.4

If you really need cheap, just keep using the 50mm f/1.8 and move farther away. Don't waste your money on a cheap wide angle, they don't make em like the 50mm f/1.8 plastic fantastic. It's one of a kind.
    BBones wrote:
    Ok, shot at the club last night with my new 20D and the 50 f/1.8 (broke after a wedding and a honeymoon so I had to stay cheap). The ISO and speed of the camera still amazes me...but 50 is not wide enough.

Sooooo, since I am still low in the cash department, what do you recommend for a comparable lens to the 50 f/1.8? I need it to be fast (1.4/1.8/2.8) since people are dancing and it is dark in there.

Samples from last night:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    Yeah, having my eye on that lens is all I will be for a while. Wow

I like the 16-35mm f/2.8 and have my eyes on the 24mm f/1.4

If you really need cheap, just keep using the 50mm f/1.8 and move farther away. Don't waste your money on a cheap wide angle, they don't make em like the 50mm f/1.8 plastic fantastic. It's one of a kind.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    While on the subject of club pictures though, I forgot how to get those streaking lights in a picture while keeping the person in focus. How do I do that?
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    Drag the shutter, but use flash to freeze the action. You can't do it with just ambient light.
    BBones wrote:
    While on the subject of club pictures though, I forgot how to get those streaking lights in a picture while keeping the person in focus. How do I do that?
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    hopefully the internal flash will suffice for now then, no way I can buy an external.

Shooting low light/high ISO now though, won't that "burn" the subject?
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    hehehe, only if you let it mwink.gif

Try dialing in some negative flash compensation, or if using a flash with manual controls, just turn it down in intensity.
    BBones wrote:
    hopefully the internal flash will suffice for now then, no way I can buy an external.

Shooting low light/high ISO now though, won't that "burn" the subject?
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    WHEEEEEE!!!!!

I love learning new stuff on the fly. I'll try to give it a try tonight with the onboard flash but I will likely go back to using just the same settings I used for last night.
  • Options
    dawsondawson Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    WHEEEEEE!!!!!

I love learning new stuff on the fly. I'll try to give it a try tonight with the onboard flash but I will likely go back to using just the same settings I used for last night.

Please post your results! I'm interested in seeing them. I believe your shots from last night turned out pretty nice. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    Ah, so you are the one pounding that link ;)
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 3, 2005
    hehehe, only if you let it mwink.gif

Try dialing in some negative flash compensation, or if using a flash with manual controls, just turn it down in intensity.
    Yup, I was just gonna say, the onboard flashes of the 10D and 20D have the saving grace of having compensation. I was amazed at how much better my shots were with just a little bit of flash. 10D -2 FE comp worked nicely. Give it a try, you have no idea how good you have it till you compare with a Drebel! :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    I will have to reset that each time I set up a shot won't I?

DoctorIt wrote:
    Yup, I was just gonna say, the onboard flashes of the 10D and 20D have the saving grace of having compensation. I was amazed at how much better my shots were with just a little bit of flash. 10D -2 FE comp worked nicely. Give it a try, you have no idea how good you have it till you compare with a Drebel! :D
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    I will have to reset that each time I set up a shot won't I?
    Nope, stays put where you set it. At least on my 10D it does. I think even turning it off doesn't affect it.
    Erik

• Options
    canonguycanonguy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Great shots! How do you shoot with an ISO of 1600 or 3200 and not get crazy noise?
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    canonguy wrote:
    Great shots! How do you shoot with an ISO of 1600 or 3200 and not get crazy noise?
    Canon 20D
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Nope, stays put where you set it. At least on my 10D it does. I think even turning it off doesn't affect it.
    Yup, just went into our network cable room with all the lights off and had it set for -2, ISO 1600 and 3200, 1/30, 1.8 and it didn't burn anything.

Betting though I will need to settle it down just a little bit there tonight though, there are some dance floor lights that it will see. Maybe 1/50th or ISO 1600 only.....*shrug* buncha playing ahead of me now.

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    BertBert Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    BBones wrote:

Samples from last night:
    I've got the 24mm F1.4 I originally used with my EOS3. What a wonderful lens, that I'm now using as my standard lens (38mm) for my 20D. Highly recommended.thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    The 35 f1.4 is prolly outta yer price range right now, but is an excellent lens for your needs. I suspect the 16-35 f2.8 might be too slow.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    Well, the 2nd part of this thread (about the club lighting to make the lights get streaky) didn't work last night. I tried alot of different things but just ended up with worse shots then I did the night prior:

http://studio819.smugmug.com/gallery/421397