Popular Photography's "Your Best Shot"

davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited October 10, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi All--

Not sure where to put this post so since it is regarding a contest I thought it might be appropriate here (move as needed, though, mr moderator).

I got word yesterday that one of my photographs has been published as the 2nd place winner of Popular Photography's "Your Best Shot" contest. I'm really excited as it is one of my favorite images. It is in the November 2007 issue, which is on the stands now, should you care to see it in print. Otherwise, here it is... I'm so excited!!!! :barb

204854221-M.jpg

Comments

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    BIGTIME CONGRATULATIONS To YOU....ENJOY IT, REVEL IT....that image deserves it and so do you!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    congrats! wow, what a sweet image. I can't say I really know what it is for sure... it looks like a bunch of triangle-shaped starships stacked together pointing to the sky and resting on a Tron grid with a classic north star spiral in the background.

But I'm probably mistaken about the starships and Tron grid. ;)

care to divulge any secrets in how you created this?
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    BIGTIME CONGRATULATIONS To YOU....ENJOY IT, REVEL IT....that image deserves it and so do you!!

Thanks! I am enjoying it! I've had a stupid grin on my face all day!

I first found out about the photo's winning when someone emailed me about more specifics regarding the camera (this other guy had the same camera and didn't know how to use the bulb setting). So I was a little confused until a nice lady from the magazine called me to let me in on the win!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    What shutter speed did you use on this, how long of an exposure? and lens?? I believe those are stars..which the human eye does not detect but are constantly moving??
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited October 6, 2007
    gregneil wrote:
    congrats! wow, what a sweet image. I can't say I really know what it is for sure... it looks like a bunch of triangle-shaped starships stacked together pointing to the sky and resting on a Tron grid with a classic north star spiral in the background.

But I'm probably mistaken about the starships and Tron grid. ;)

care to divulge any secrets in how you created this?

Well I can tell you what it is :D It is actually the chapel on the US Air Force Academy's grounds-- and you're close to the idea about starships-- it is actually meant to resemble the wings of aircraft, put together to create the church. The building itself is a marvel and very pretty. And being it is so "spacey" looking, it had to be put with a star-trail photo, one I took on my family's ranch around the same time.

Whenever I look at it, I get a "in the hall of the mountain king" feel-- but that is probably because I know this church is in the mountains (ok, very well near them).
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Your image definitely gets thumb.gifthumb Congrats!
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2007
    Now that is spectacular. Congrats, how very exciting!!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Congratulations! That is an awesome picture!!!!! thumb.gif
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Congratulations on an exciting time. I bet the smile is still glued to your face mwink.gif

Nice shot too!
    edited October 7, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    What shutter speed did you use on this, how long of an exposure? and lens?? I believe those are stars..which the human eye does not detect but are constantly moving??

Thanks all!

Regarding the tech stuff:

for the stars: tripod mounted, 28mm wide open (f2.8) for an hour

for the church: 2.5s shutter at f/10 (the camera was set up for shooting fireworks, not still shots of a church! But you work with what you have).

both in iso200

The hour in which the stars were shot was 2AM to 3AM, traditionally the "darkest" time of the day. The church was shot around 10PM after a fireworks display, hence there were no lights on at the time (well, lights directly on the church).

Regarding the stars-- if you want to achieve a similar photo, and you're in the northern hemisphere (not sure about the southern), look for the big dipper. Find the leading edge of the "cup" and follow that upwards and the first bright star you come to is Polaris. I found it easiest to position the camera and its settings just as Polaris appeared in the evening twilight. There is enough light to get things ready and when you come back in the early morning, your camera's temp is stable. I have no proof but I'm told by others who do night photography that a changing temp in the camera can make things go awry.
  • andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    As soon asI flipped to that page in the mag I recognised the shot as being from a smugger :D

Congrats to you for this shot and getting selected
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Just got my issue....
    Nice shot! Congratz!

Jon
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Ryan,

I saw the magazine last night. The photo looks even better in print! Great job,
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    That is AMAZING - oh my wow!!

Congratulations on an impressive work of art, and especially for the very deserved recognition.

clap.gif
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Congratulation!!!
    davidryan wrote:
    Hi All--

Not sure where to put this post so since it is regarding a contest I thought it might be appropriate here (move as needed, though, mr moderator).

I got word yesterday that one of my photographs has been published as the 2nd place winner of Popular Photography's "Your Best Shot" contest. I'm really excited as it is one of my favorite images. It is in the November 2007 issue, which is on the stands now, should you care to see it in print. Otherwise, here it is... I'm so excited!!!! wings.gif

204854221-M.jpg

Well done! I live no more than 5 miles from the AFA and the chapel is one of my favorite subjects. You must be associated with it to have access at that hour of the morning! I have to run out and get my copy of the magazine.

Here is a link of some of the AFA chapel that I took for smugmug.....bet there are a few you recognize. http://poirierpics.smugmug.com/gallery/2797485#160826853

Great job,

Maureenclap.gif
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    congrats
    Wow, what a wonderful, exciting time. I received my copy of that mag the other day and thought what an awesome shot that was.

Big congratulations.clap.gifwings.gifwings.gif