Ready for the Homecoming dance

Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
edited October 8, 2007 in People
My niece was in town visiting and wanted pictures in her homecoming dress. I was extremely happy with the catchlights. I'm usually doing toddlers and babies, so it was nice to have a model that sat still for a change. The background annoys me a bit though. It is a white muslin that I was blowing out, but I turned off the background lights just to try something different.

The lighting was an Alienbee B400 in a brolly box as the main about 3 ft away (Camera left), a reflector for fill, and a SB600 on a optical slave as a hairlight. This is the second time I got to use the new Elinchrom Skyport triggers, and I really like them.

204899663-M.jpg
202285580-M.jpg
202282234-M.jpg

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    #3 is stunning!

#2 is nice, but looks green. I'm also not big on the diffuse light filter on it, but maybe it's just me...

#1 is nice, but I just love #3 where her personality really seems to be coming through!
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I probably should have mentioned that in #2 I was playing with a 50% sepia look.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Shane422 wrote:
    I probably should have mentioned that in #2 I was playing with a 50% sepia look.

You may want to change your sepia - it looks more green than brownish to me.... Of course, I haven't calibrated recently so it may just be me! (I've been known to be way off!)
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    LOVE #3! clap.gif #2 does look a bit green to me, too, but I like the shot. #1 is nice, but I prefer the others. thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    FWIW 15524779-Ti.gif with above comments. Adding to that, I think you did a wonderful job with the lighting on #1. Would have loved to see 3/4 or full-length shots as well - you say she wanted some pictures of the dress...
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Odd question, as I'm not much of a portrait taker. #1 and #3 have the top of her head cropped off. I assume this was intentional - this a common technique, personal decision, used to highlight the face? Certainly brings out the facial expressions. Nice shots thumb.gif
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I do have a full length and 3/4 shot, but I was not happy enough with them to share them. I find that my head shots are much sharper than full length, so I tend to keep more of them. But here is one that is OK. But I do have a habit of cropping down to the face. Just personal preference, and a lack of satisfaction with my ability to capture crisp pictures at full length.
    202282707-M.jpg
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    #3 is stunning!

#2 is nice, but looks green. I'm also not big on the diffuse light filter on it, but maybe it's just me...

#1 is nice, but I just love #3 where her personality really seems to be coming through!

Agree...perhaps Kickers would've helped a little.
  • Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    You have a gorgeous niece!

#1 I think most people have one eye that's slightly bigger than the other, but either the lighting or the angle of her face might be exaggerating the look in the photo. A 7/8 view with her smaller eye closest to the camera would make her eyes appear closer to the same size.

#2 I agree with what others have said about the color (but of course she's adorable anyway)

#3 is brilliant...I love her expression. clap.gif

Kari
    C and C always welcome.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    #3 is one of the best portraits that I have seen in sometime.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    #3 is fantastic!

What a dynamic portrait.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif