A different little boy in the same aspens

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited October 15, 2007 in People
Sort of funny that I got two little boys in less than two weeks about the same age (this one is 5 months younger) and ended up in the same location. Hopefully I managed to make things look different, though. I hate the thought of everything looking the same - please let me know!

As a side note, I thought because mom mentioned that she wanted the dad along, too, that it would be a family shoot. But that wasn't the intention. I did con them into a few quick shots - hopefully they'll be happy with the family photos!

I loved this aspen covered path! I think I could have done a few more interesting things with it, though.
1. 204890963-M-1.jpg

The dad was really sweet - he seemed to reluctant, but ended up being so happy in most of the photos that i thought it was really cool!
2. 204891014-M-1.jpg

This is a *tiny* bit soft on his eyes (VERY shallow DOF), but I liked the look and included it.
3. 204891051-M-1.jpg

And he was so smiley in spite of getting over a cold!
4. 204891354-M-1.jpg

Playing with focal lengths - this at 12mm on my 5D (full frame). I had to get soooooo close to him that this was his expression ("what the heck are you doing?!?") in most of the photos shot with this lens! LOL! (I'm less than 2' from him here!)
5. 204891453-M-1.jpg

Mt. Crested Butte in the background of this budding basketball player! (He LOVED this ball!) What are your thoughts on the color in this one? Playing around, but not sure I like the result - I do in some areas, not in others.
6. 204891623-M-1.jpg

I just love the little piece of grass stuck to his tush! It's not that noticeable here, but in a bigger version it's pretty obvious.
7. 204891806-M-1.jpg

Does this tilt work for you? It was tilted a tiny bit, I tilted a tiny bit more. I just imagine that this is how the world feels to someone new on their feet....
8. 204891908-M-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Any and all CC is always welcomed either here or in the gallery. You can see more photos (25 of the 75!) here: http://tippiepics.smugmug.com/gallery/3602499 (private and not seen by the parents)

Comments

• Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Your pics are all great. But your setting makes me incredibly jealous. Mountains trump corn (Iowa) every day.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Andi the entire gallery of this little guy is just adorable! The family should be very pleased. You are so lucky to live where you do....what great scenery! You captured some wonderful expression in #3 through #5. You asked about the color in #6. I would say that this shot is my least favorite of the entire gallery. I'm not really sure why, or that it has to do with the color, but maybe it does. I think I'm just not crazy about the DOF with the mountains and some of the trees being so soft. This is more noticeable in color than say in the Sepia toned ones. In fact, the shallow DOF works really well in the sepia shots. That is something I have never run across before and found interesting. Love the closeup of him looking up at your camera. All in all a wonderful set you should be very pleased with. thumb.gif
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I love your eye for detail and the way you put thought into composition and editing! Both the tilt and the little piece of grass are good examples.. :) Very nice!
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Shane422 wrote:
    Your pics are all great. But your setting makes me incredibly jealous. Mountains trump corn (Iowa) every day.
    Thanks, Shane.... And yeah, it's pretty amazing here! I'm in awe every time I go outside - there are very few ugly spots to take photos and that helps a ton! Laughing.gif!
    saurora wrote:
    Andi the entire gallery of this little guy is just adorable! The family should be very pleased. You are so lucky to live where you do....what great scenery! You captured some wonderful expression in #3 through #5. You asked about the color in #6. I would say that this shot is my least favorite of the entire gallery. I'm not really sure why, or that it has to do with the color, but maybe it does. I think I'm just not crazy about the DOF with the mountains and some of the trees being so soft. This is more noticeable in color than say in the Sepia toned ones. In fact, the shallow DOF works really well in the sepia shots. That is something I have never run across before and found interesting. Love the closeup of him looking up at your camera. All in all a wonderful set you should be very pleased with. thumb.gif
    Susan (right? I think that's your name...), thank you SO much! I appreciate your kind comments and your wonderful feedback! I haven't released this to the family yet - I took the photos yesterday and am already done editing - I love LR! And I hate releasing them that quickly and setting up a precedent. Anyway, I'll play around a bit more with the color on that and see if changing the color lessens the effect or if I need to go sepia/b&w (which I LOVE doing anyway).

Thanks again for taking the time to make such helpful comments and say so many nice things!
    ulrikft wrote:
    I love your eye for detail and the way you put thought into composition and editing! Both the tilt and the little piece of grass are good examples.. :) Very nice!
    Thank you very much! I love when others see the little details I see, too. Thanks!
    Andy wrote:
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    eek7.gif Bowing smilies from Andy? Must have been a message board glitch....

(Thank you SO much! It means a LOT to me to get those from you.)
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Wow Andi these are just stunning and what a beautiful location!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 7, 2007
    great photos, andi-
    edited October 7, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Wow Andi these are just stunning and what a beautiful location!!!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!
    gefillmore wrote:
    great photos, andi-

Thanks, George! That means a lot!
  • Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I just love this set. You're images are gorgeous. You've really given them a nice combination of color, black and white and sepia. My favorites are #4 (for the composition and expression) and #7 (because it captures the sweetness of a baby from a different perspective). I'm also jealous of your beautiful location.

Kari
    C and C always welcome.
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Beautiful as always Andi. I like the color ones in your gallery, the yellow of the aspens is so nice that it almost seems a shame to lose it in the BWs.

I'd say that 5, 10, 13, and 15 in your gallery are my favorites, but they're all beautiful. The family should be thrilled!
    edited October 8, 2007
    Mrs F wrote:
    I just love this set. You're images are gorgeous. You've really given them a nice combination of color, black and white and sepia. My favorites are #4 (for the composition and expression) and #7 (because it captures the sweetness of a baby from a different perspective). I'm also jealous of your beautiful location.

Kari

Thank you so much for your feedback and favorites, Kari! That's really helpful! And thanks for your nice comments...
    rustic wrote:
    Beautiful as always Andi. I like the color ones in your gallery, the yellow of the aspens is so nice that it almost seems a shame to lose it in the BWs.

I'd say that 5, 10, 13, and 15 in your gallery are my favorites, but they're all beautiful. The family should be thrilled!

Thanks, Rustic.... I should find out today if they like it - I haven't released them yet. Laughing.gif! Thanks for listing your favorites - that helps me out!

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful comments! I really appreciate it a LOT!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    1, 3 and 5 are classics.

You have such a talent for turning every day photos into timeless works of art. These are so earthy and completely absent of the typical one-year-old portrait "kitsch". We all have so much to learn from your obvious talent behind the lens, as well as how you get families to relax and interact without looking forced or uncomfortable. That says as much about your photos as your beautiful knack for conversions and toning.

A wonderful set, Andi!!! iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    1, 3 and 5 are classics.

You have such a talent for turning every day photos into timeless works of art. These are so earthy and completely absent of the typical one-year-old portrait "kitsch". We all have so much to learn from your obvious talent behind the lens, as well as how you get families to relax and interact without looking forced or uncomfortable. That says as much about your photos as your beautiful knack for conversions and toning.

I wholeheartedly agree with Lynne, Andi! thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    1, 3 and 5 are classics.

Very well said!!! Andi, can I come take lessons and just watch you work??!! :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    I LOVE #4 and #5!!!!iloveyou.gif

You've come a long way, baby!!!!
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    I love love love #5 - his curiosity and questioning comes right through in this image. Amazing capture!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Yowza! bowdown.gif These are all just fantastic. Beautifully done. Numbers 1 and 7 just give me the warm fuzzies. :D
    edited October 8, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    1, 3 and 5 are classics.

iloveyou.gif Thank you. Thank you so much!
    adpace wrote:
    I wholeheartedly agree with Lynne, Andi! thumb.gif

Angela, thank you sooo much!
    Elaine wrote:
    Very well said!!! Andi, can I come take lessons and just watch you work??!! :D
    Of course, Elaine! Any time you want.... :D Thank you so much!
    Mitchell wrote:
    I LOVE #4 and #5!!!!iloveyou.gif

You've come a long way, baby!!!!

Thank you very much, Mitchell! :D
    Jnichols wrote:
    I love love love #5 - his curiosity and questioning comes right through in this image. Amazing capture!
    That one really cracks me up! I didn't think I'd gotten any good shots from that lens so I was glad when it was more fun than I expected. Thank you!
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Yowza! bowdown.gif These are all just fantastic. Beautifully done. Numbers 1 and 7 just give me the warm fuzzies. :D
    Another bowing smiley?!? Thank you so much!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Andi, these are awesome! 121181858-O.gif

The "what the heck are you doing!?!" shot is too funny! I'm really liking the smiling one as well (#4) thumb.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Andi, I don't know what else I can add that hasn't been said already. I'm amazed everytime that I see work. You definitely extend beyond the technical and into the creative portrait successfully. Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Wow! What a great set of photos. I really like your compositions. I am envious of your talent.
    edited October 15, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Andi, these are awesome! 121181858-O.gif

The "what the heck are you doing!?!" shot is too funny! I'm really liking the smiling one as well (#4) thumb.gif

Thank you so much! That shot cracks me up, too.... Thanks!
    Travis wrote:
    Andi, I don't know what else I can add that hasn't been said already. I'm amazed everytime that I see work. You definitely extend beyond the technical and into the creative portrait successfully. Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
    Thank you soo much! I really appreciate it!
    DavidS wrote:

Wow! What a great set of photos. I really like your compositions. I am envious of your talent.

Thank you! *blush* :D
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    I opened your thread & saw the first one & yelled out WOW !! Trully great work.
    edited October 15, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I opened your thread & saw the first one & yelled out WOW !! Trully great work.
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!