Replacing my 17 - 85mm EFS IS

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited October 7, 2007 in Cameras
The first lens that I bought needs repair, and I have a whole league of basketball team photos to shoot next weekend. DavidTO very generously lent me his 17 - 55 f2.8 for the Glacier shootout, and I enjoyed using it. Haven't processed the shots yet (I'm still working the preshootout shots), so cannot say for sure if the colors pop more that they do with the 17 - 85 (my complaint about that lens). I can say I missed the longer reach of the 17 - 85. However, my other use for this lens is the above mentioned team photos. Right now my shortest lens is 50mm, and that won't do the job.

I have the 20d and the 1DmkIIN to work with, and of course the EFS lenses do not function with the 1D. After hearing the advantages of the 40d, I know my next body will be the 40d.

So, I am thinking of one of the following three lenses:
17 - 85 mm EFS
17 - 55mm f2.8 EFS
17 - 40L

Any advice?

ann

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 7, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:

I have the 20d and the 1DmkIIN to work with, and of course the EFS lenses do not function with the 1D. After hearing the advantages of the 40d, I know my next body will be the 40d.

So, I am thinking of one of the following three lenses:
    17 - 85 mm EFS
    17 - 55mm f2.8 EFS
    17 - 40L

Any advice?

ann

Ann,

I have the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM and, on the 1D MKII it is a very wide lens indeed. That combination is extremenly accurate to focus and the color and contrast are true "L" quality. A little more distortion at the wide end than I like, but not too bad and fairly easily corrected in post when necessary.

On a crop 1.6x body it is more like a "standard" zoom, but with the same attributes otherwise except much less visible distortion at the wide end.

For group images I generally use the Canon EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L USM, which is a predecessor to the more modern Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. This is a pretty wonderful lens and more of a "standard" range on the 1D bodies. I suspect you would be very happy with the 24-70mm, f2.8L for groups.

I don't have the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM but there are several DGrinners that have the lens and like/love it. I have read very little against the lens. As you mentioned, it would be limited to use on the 1.6x crop body. The IS is helpful for those occasions where you don't have, or can't use, a tripod.

Any of these lenses is a considerable upgrade over the lens that you had.

Good luck,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums