Really want the 1 Ds Mark II...

D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited October 10, 2007 in Cameras
I am just getting back into Photography after a very long hiatus ,20 +something years. Overwhelming this whole digital scenario can be for one who is somewhat ignorant , no really ignorant with the computer age. My old G4 is old , my old Samsung LCD is old , Due to circumstances when I got out of the business I was left with no camera's period.( I bought a Sony DSC-F717 to have something that was digital) I did shoot with Canon F-1's with Leica "R" lenses attached for the most part as well a my hasselblads as well as my Mamiya RB-67 as well as my Plaubel 8x10 view camera. Anyway I almost bought the 5 D canon , as I was always happy with my Canon's in my previos life , and then I saw that used 1 Ds Mark II's can be had for a little more money and I like the fact that the 1 DS mark II is weather resistent ( I live on the coast) and the pictures that I have seen that it produced were wonderful. I feel if I buy the 5 D I will be looking to upgrade sooner than later and this stuff is not cheap.... Then someone suggested to buy the new 40D but , I am used to full frame and use my wide angle lenses more than my telephoto's or used to at least. I am in no rush , I just ordered the PS CS2 and am buying a scanner so I can scan some of my old images to try to learn the PS skills that I see are neccessary in this new world.... I guess I am just looking for approval or disapproval... I chose this group of folks (Digital Grin) as the community seems to be out there to help such as the tutorials ... My first post long and winded as it is..... sc003111e1.jpg Me as a kid just starting out in the world

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 7, 2007
    David,

Welcome to the Digital Grin.

I think you would be pretty happy with any of the modern cameras, including any of those you mentioned above. You are right that Full Frame imagers do make the older wide angle lenses work as they were designed to work, but the new ultra-wide zooms designed for the crop 1.6x cameras work awfully well. If you want to get a Canon 1Ds MKII, I say "go for it!" It's all pretty good now days.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    What he said. I've seen the output of that camera in the past & was impressed, now that I got to test-drive one for three days....well, let's just say it's a good thing I don't have $5k laying around, as it would be gone. Just an amazing camera. The downside is there is a need for a pretty beefy computer to support it. My 2.2GHz dual-core box spent all weekend chewing on files.
  • D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Thanks guys , the computer is another thing I know. My old G4 is not going to cut it unless I want to read a book while I am processing in Photoshop. ( I saw an 8 core 3.GHZ with 10GB ram and way too much storage go for 4600.00 so the prices are coming down on they also) My old Sony point and shoot does only Tiff and that is slowing down the old girl. I am going to start out slow and use what I have to learn a little about CS2 . My friends in the business say the 1Ds Marl II is a solid camera and will exceed my demands and also something I did not know do not be so afraid of how many times the camera has been used (acuations ?) as the shutter can be replaced for around 350.00$$$ Thanks for the response and welcome
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 8, 2007
    D_C_NC wrote:
    ... the shutter can be replaced for around 350.00$$$ Thanks for the response and welcome

The recent quotes I have heard for the shutter on the 1Ds MKII are $450 - $650USD, depending on other components that might be replaced at the same time.

While the shutter box assembly is a common part to fail with high usage, there are other parts of the camera very expensive to replace, so there is a very real risk in buying used, just so you know. I have purchased 2 used 1D MKII cameras and I knew the risks and decided they were worth it to me.

Good luck,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 8, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The recent quotes I have heard for the shutter on the 1Ds MKII are $450 - $650USD, depending on other components that might be replaced at the same time.

While the shutter box assembly is a common part to fail with high usage, there are other parts of the camera very expensive to replace, so there is a very real risk in buying used, just so you know. I have purchased 2 used 1D MKII cameras and I knew the risks and decided they were worth it to me.

Good luck,
    That is a point well taken , I assume after the Mark III is out in the world possibly the price of a new Mark II might drop somewhat. I have friends in Charlotte and Raleigh on the look also for a quality used unit. I have plenty of time as just understanding the CS2 program as well as a few others will keep me busy. Actually thought about taking online classes to learn but , will give it a go first on my own and with the help of knowlegeable people in the community here and other places that they post tutorials . Thanks again.... ESLON.jpg Playing with my scanner, I have not got the reduction correct yet though....
  • ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Oh my gosh, somebody happens to be selling one:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=72880
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    D_C_NC wrote:
    Actually thought about taking online classes to learn but , will give it a go first on my own and with the help of knowlegeable people in the community here and other places that they post tutorials . T

Good plan. From the first brag photo, I'd say you have the basics down. :D So, it's just getting up to speed on the digital side of the camera & the computer PP. We've got plenty of experts & loudmouths around here who can get you going in the right direction.

Being a muckraker again, IMHO the whole shutter click count mania is a bit overblown as well. It's not like mechanical shutters are a new thing and have not had to be replaced in the past. Considering the overall cost of the Mk II, replacing a shutter is fairly inexpensive--and that shutter lasts for quite a while. Of course, I may be a bit biased in that my 20D is running at probably about 80k clicks and still going strong with no signs of impending failure (worst wear indication is a single (!) hot pixel in some ISO 3200 images); I'd expect a 1-series body to do better than that by a long ways.
    edited October 9, 2007
    Shizam wrote:
    Oh my gosh, somebody happens to be selling one:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=72880
    Thanks , I saw your stuff in the for sale dept. I am holding off since I have decided on the camera and the prices will drop after the Mark III is out and that will give me time to start to figure out the Digital Darkroom stuff that I am so ignorant in at the moment... Half the folks I see that are shooting have computer science degrees it seems...... Thanks again....
    edited October 9, 2007
    Good plan. From the first brag photo, I'd say you have the basics down. :D So, it's just getting up to speed on the digital side of the camera & the computer PP. We've got plenty of experts & loudmouths around here who can get you going in the right direction.

Being a muckraker again, IMHO the whole shutter click count mania is a bit overblown as well. It's not like mechanical shutters are a new thing and have not had to be replaced in the past. Considering the overall cost of the Mk II, replacing a shutter is fairly inexpensive--and that shutter lasts for quite a while. Of course, I may be a bit biased in that my 20D is running at probably about 80k clicks and still going strong with no signs of impending failure (worst wear indication is a single (!) hot pixel in some ISO 3200 images); I'd expect a 1-series body to do better than that by a long ways.
    Thanks I am anxiously waiting for the CS2 to arrive , along with the book a friend is sending me to begin the learning process . I do love a challenge ... Thanks for the input ......
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    D_C_NC wrote:
    That is a point well taken , I assume after the Mark III is out in the world possibly the price of a new Mark II might drop somewhat. I have friends in Charlotte and Raleigh on the look also for a quality used unit. I have plenty of time as just understanding the CS2 program as well as a few others will keep me busy. Actually thought about taking online classes to learn but , will give it a go first on my own and with the help of knowlegeable people in the community here and other places that they post tutorials . Thanks again.... ESLON.jpg Playing with my scanner, I have not got the reduction correct yet though....
    Unless you find someone with a new Mark II still in stock, you can't buy one -- the model has been discontinued in favor of the Mark III. I think I bought my Mark II N like the day before they discontinued it back in June! And back then, you had to get on a waiting list for the III.
    edited October 10, 2007
    KED wrote:
    Unless you find someone with a new Mark II still in stock, you can't buy one -- the model has been discontinued in favor of the Mark III. I think I bought my Mark II N like the day before they discontinued it back in June! And back then, you had to get on a waiting list for the III.
    I doubt that I will end up with a new one but , instead a well taken care used one is what I am after at a better price than exists at the moment. I have already purchased two lenses for it so I am committed to a camera as My trusty Sony DSCF717 is a fixed lens camera.. ( Leica R 16 MM Fisheye , Leica R 21 MM ) BUT , my trusty DSCF717 can create an image... DSC03324b.jpg Did this this morning....
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    D_C_NC wrote:
    Did this this morning....
    What a cool shot! How much of that is Photoshop vs. the original shot? By the way, if you were referring to a 1Ds Mk II, rather than the 1D, in the post to which I originally replied, I can't tell you for sure that the Ds is discontinued. The best way to find out is to check the Canon website -- if they act like it never existed (a la my camera), it's discontinued! They still provide over-the-top support, though -- I was on the phone for an hour last night with one of their techs.
    edited October 10, 2007
    KED wrote:
    What a cool shot! How much of that is Photoshop vs. the original shot? By the way, if you were referring to a 1Ds Mk II, rather than the 1D, in the post to which I originally replied, I can't tell you for sure that the Ds is discontinued. The best way to find out is to check the Canon website -- if they act like it never existed (a la my camera), it's discontinued! They still provide over-the-top support, though -- I was on the phone for an hour last night with one of their techs.
    I do not have photoshop yet but , the HP Photosmart Studio that came with my officejet all-in-one , allowed me to bump the contrast and saturation and volla.....I was up before sunrise and walked the beach.... Yeah I want A 1Ds Mark II..... More than I will ever need.... DSC03330.jpg