Where to shoot freestyle to make money?

Kevin GKevin G Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited October 7, 2007 in People
I'm looking for places where I can just show up and start shooting and then casually mention to people who are there that they can view and purchase the pictures off my webiste.

I was thinking like kids soccer/football/gymnastics, etc. Some of these events are harder to get access to as they get to high school and up...

But does anyone have ideas on how to do this successfully and where?

Comments

• S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Karate tournaments - they already know you.

Seriously, it is the fact that they know you which will make it work. If you start showing up somewhere, plan to do that min 3 times before any sales result.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Maybe HS sports, but expect to have to really lock down the photos really well and have people complain if you charge more than $1 for 4x6's...

I'm sure if you head over to this forum: http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29 and search for sports, you'll find a LOT of information about how to do it - and how to protect yourself. but just realize you probably won't be able to make a living this way.

But if you're doing it to get your name out there and get better, it's a decent way to go.

Also try community events - especially for non-profits, if you're not looking to make a lot of money - as you can get fun photos that way and maybe try your hand at a couple of different styles.

Good luck!
  • ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    There was a photographer doing exactly what you are describing at a car show I attended the other day. It was a concours type event, where owners show off their prized collector autos. The photographer had a small stand at the show with his contact info and examples of his work. I thought he was pretty clever.

ERF
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    I did rodeos, and horse gaming shows, one summer, and had requests from so many people to purchase my shots it was overwhelming. I also picked up two coorperate jobs (Innerstate, Copenhagen) for local events that paid $500 per day, and was contacted by Western Horseman of Oregon, and Western Horseman of Washington. The problem- I was not prepared, as a photographer, or with the equipment, to provide what they wanted. I attempted the jobs, but was very dissapointed in my work. Customers seemed pleased, but when I look back at those shots, I am embarrased that I collected the money. Folks will want to buy shots pretty much anywhere ego roams; be prepared to deliver. I wasn't and regret it.
    Growing with Dgrin