Motorsports Photography - Critiques Welcome

MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited October 9, 2007 in Sports
Well, hope I'm doing this right. Just "de-lurked" and so will jump right in. Been a "smugger" for a short while, after jumping back into photography after a long absence. Of course the obsession bit again, and so all my hobbies now include the camera.

My favorite subject has always been motorcycle racing images. In the 90's it was Motorcylce Grand Prix and World Superbike because I lived in Europe. Now I race Harleys and have trackside access between rounds.

Thoughts on the quality of these images and how to improve is very welcome.

203329025-L-1.jpg

203291762-L-1.jpg

203329215-L-1.jpg

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Hi Mike, welcome to dgrin!

Great shots clap.gif

Focus and exposure look great in all three shots.

I think the first shot would have worked a bit better if you had closed down the aperture just a bit. I love the out of focus background, but the depth of field is a bit too small.

I really like that second shot, with the exception of the background. The legs on either side of the frame really stand out against that gray featureless pavement... IMHO. It also doesn't help that one pair of the legs is in short shorts lol3.gif

That thrid shot rocks! Normally I like a bit of motion blur in motorsports shots. In this case the rider's position and the front wheel haning in the air give the sense of motion.

Very well done!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Terrific!

Wish I could see the face in #2, might nice to lighten the face inside the mask on #3. But super job, excellent action, strong colors, great atmosphere. Very convincing. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Hey Mike, welcome aboard clap.gif

On your shots, #1 - colors look good and saturated, but the shallow DOF, and honestly I can't really decide where the focus is, leaves me wanting in this pic.

#2 - I like the blur on the front tire and the composition is good, with the exception that the wheel-stand caused the riders face to be blocked. I like seeing the face if at all possible.

#3 - Good shot thumb.gif - Focus is good on the riders head, you can see his face, exposure is good & blur on the front tire is a bonus.

Overall good job!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    Randy
  • MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    cletus wrote:

I really like that second shot, with the exception of the background. The legs on either side of the frame really stand out against that gray featureless pavement... IMHO. It also doesn't help that one pair of the legs is in short shorts lol3.gif

lol, for you Cletus...the wider crop of that scene. iloveyou.gif

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

205035287-L-1.jpg