Canadian Rockies: Icefield Parkway

CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
edited October 10, 2007 in Landscapes
Not the nicest of days... but I took what I could get.

Peyto Lake... supposed to be beautiful from this vantage point:

205233324-L.jpg

Mount whatsitsname:

205233998-L.jpg

Forget the name of this glacier, but it's a real tourist trap. There are ice buses which actually drive on it... in the full res you can see them in driving through the picture, lol:

205234553-L.jpg

Bow River:

205236106-L.jpg

Athabasca Falls (luckily, we just missed the hordes... 3 tour buses dumped off just when I finished shooting):

205236913-L.jpg

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    I really like the Peyto Lake shot - great heavy snow on the trees - I think Peyto is really hard to be at at the right time - it is pretty high up. When we were there August 1, 2002 it was snowing.

And Mount whatsitsname is Cheffrin - I have a similar view from 2002 and spent an hour or more trying to find the same spot this year, only to come away with this.

The big glacier is the Columbia Icefields, Athabasca Glacier, and it is absolutely massive. The ice tours have existed since the early tourism days and will probably continue until there is only a speck of glacier left. When we were there this year (Sept. 21), it was absolutely freezing and completely clouded in, and there were tourists from Asia in mini skirts and bare legs!!!! You got a good view of it.

Keep 'em coming!

ann
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I really like the Peyto Lake shot - great heavy snow on the trees - I think Peyto is really hard to be at at the right time - it is pretty high up. When we were there August 1, 2002 it was snowing.

And Mount whatsitsname is Cheffrin - I have a similar view from 2002 and spent an hour or more trying to find the same spot this year, only to come away with this.

The big glacier is the Columbia Icefields, Athabasca Glacier, and it is absolutely massive. The ice tours have existed since the early tourism days and will probably continue until there is only a speck of glacier left. When we were there this year (Sept. 21), it was absolutely freezing and completely clouded in, and there were tourists from Asia in mini skirts and bare legs!!!! You got a good view of it.

Keep 'em coming!

ann

Funny thing about Peyto lake is how you can get what looks like a "peaceful" shot and then have hundreds of europeans dump off a bus and crowd the platform just behind you. Shutter speeds need to be high enough that people walking around on the platform don't shake the tripod :cry

It's obviously the highest point on the parkway -- given the amount of snow it had!