Options

Please need help fixing photo

KMWKMW Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited October 11, 2007 in Finishing School
I did a beach photo session for some close friends of mine and I think they would love this photo but there's a shadow on her face. I have tried cloning out the shadow on her face but cannot make it look natural. Could somebody please help me with this? I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

205625146-L.jpg
Nikon D80
18-135mm 3.5-5.6
50mm 1.4
SB600

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    KMW wrote:
    I did a beach photo session for some close friends of mine and I think they would love this photo but there's a shadow on her face. I have tried cloning out the shadow on her face but cannot make it look natural. Could somebody please help me with this? I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

There are many rich options for fixing this, but have you tried the simplest thing I can think of - shadow/highlights. Try a shadow adjustment of Tonal Width = 22%, Amount = 55%, Radius = 30px or tweak it yourself from there. This will open up some detail on the shady side of both faces.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    There are many rich options for fixing this, but have you tried the simplest thing I can think of - shadow/highlights. Try a shadow adjustment of Tonal Width = 22%, Amount = 55%, Radius = 30px or tweak it yourself from there. This will open up some detail on the shady side of both faces.

Thanks for your advice. I have photoshop elements 5 and don't think I can enter the exact shadow adjustment. I tried the sliders and color curves but it just doesn't look right. I guess I don't have any other options. I'll just have to make sure I don't make that mistake again in the future. Thanks again.
    Nikon D80
    18-135mm 3.5-5.6
    50mm 1.4
    SB600
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    You use Nikon gear, do you have Nikon PictureProject software (look on your Nikon CD's)? This software has a D-Light featre, not as good as Photoshop shadow/highlight - but better than nothing! Some models have this built into the camera, it works on the JPG, if you shoot raw camera data and not JPG, one can attempt to fix this in the raw converter too.

Online, there is:

http://www.shadowilluminator.org/

I would not give up on APSE yet, but it is not going to be as full featured as Photoshop for correcting this in an easy fashion (but the free powertools from Richard Lynch may help with some things).

Good luck,

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    I tried and this is what I came up with.

test.jpg

If you send me the hi-res image I can do the same and send it back to you. It was a lot harder than I thought :-) You can send it to my email address emmett.photography@gmail.com
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    Thank you for your suggestion and link BinaryFX....I did shoot in raw. I'm still learning how to process raw files and was unable to fix it in the converter.

Pemmet...I love what you did it with it. I would really appreciate it if you could help me out with this. I will email you a high resolution jpeg. If your up for it and want to try it on the hi-res image. Please don't spend too much time on it. Thanks!
    Nikon D80
    18-135mm 3.5-5.6
    50mm 1.4
    SB600
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    KMW wrote:
    Thank you for your suggestion and link BinaryFX....I did shoot in raw. I'm still learning how to process raw files and was unable to fix it in the converter.

In the current version of ACR/ALR, on the first basic tab - adjust the fill light slider.

The old, free Pixmantec Raw Shooter Essentials has a fill light slider too, but it is a crapshoot if your camera is supported.

As the slider only has one control, there is not much to 'learn' (unlike shadow/highlight in Photoshop where things are more complex).

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/