I'm New, Be Harsh, Break Me In

PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited October 8, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey Everyone, I'm new to DGrin, but I'm willing to take a beating. Here's a link to the gallery of photos I've taken so far for the "Craggy or Smooth."

205627191-M.jpg
EXIF

205626581-M-1.jpg
EXIF

205625217-M.jpg
EXIF

Here's a link to the gallery http://pilznr.smugmug.com/gallery/3609674#205627191
There's some other photos there, but not worthy ones.

Give me all your honest opinions and advice.
Thanks!
Matt Pilsner

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    [note: work monitor is not very good at all]

In general, I like the concept for LPS, but the exposures are very off by at least a few stops. They're very dark. Was this done on purpose? Also, it needs some sort of emotional pull to it... maybe approach the shoot like it will be used for an ad to sell popcorn -- a photo that makes the viewer want to dive right and consume handfuls of hot, buttery popcorn.

1. For the longest time, I thought it was some sort of fungus. Even after seeing some of the other shots, it still took me a few minutes to recognize that it's a popcorn kernel.

2. It looks like a shallow DOF and I believe you're trying to focus on the center kernel. I think it might work better if it's a little less centered.

3. I think is your best composition of the three, but could be improved more with popped kernals on one kernal, and more DOF. But it's still suffering from the exposure issues.

In general, you have a good start -- just go out and shoot some more. mwink.gifComing up with the idea is one of the hardest things to do and you have already got that done! clap.gif Good luck.
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    #1 is definitely my fav. Cool Idea.

Could be my monitor, but it seems a touch underexposed & in need of a little contrast (as do 2 & 3).

I took a look through your Daily Photo pages...great stuff! I'm glad you've decided to enter LPS.

paul
  • PilznrPilznr Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    #1 is definitely my fav. Cool Idea.

Could be my monitor, but it seems a touch underexposed & in need of a little contrast (as do 2 & 3).

I took a look through your Daily Photo pages...great stuff! I'm glad you've decided to enter LPS.

paul

I went out and bought a tripod this afternoon to try and fix some of my exposure issues. I used to have a tripod but lost it in a move.

I took some photos of popcorn with butter, but I think I was unsuccesful in creating the mood I'm looking for. While I was taking those pictures, I found that the Parsley Root I had bought to take pictures of a few weeks ago was looking at me and sticking his toungue out...
    205727757-M-1.jpg

Here's the new Popcorn photos:
    205727862-M.jpg

205728003-M.jpg
    I was going for some sort of "Lonely chick-flick movie watching sadness" with this one.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    I like #1! But like Paul mentioned, it needs some contrast adjustment.