some feedback on B&W conversions

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited October 9, 2007 in People
I did some quick conversions on the below foto using some lightroom presets and i was wondering if you could let me know which one you liked the most. i hope i didn't make too many. i find it hard to pick just one and wanted to get some opinions.

205636676-M.jpg

here is a link to the gallery with the B&Ws

http://fotosbydavid.smugmug.com/gallery/3598407#P-1-15

cheers,

Dave

Comments

• NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    00005-3 (plain BW)
    I liked the one that ends in 0005-3 best. Have you tried doing your BW conversion in Photoshop? I've used Lightroom (and presets) for BW, but when I want to truly tweak a shot I head to Photoshop. The shot you have in 0005-3 could also used a bit of sharpening, and Photoshop can do a better job of that. Although I often like a warmish tint on some BW, in this case, I prefer it without one, or without sepia added.

Thanks!,

N
    I did some quick conversions on the below foto using some lightroom presets and i was wondering if you could let me know which one you liked the most. i hope i didn't make too many. i find it hard to pick just one and wanted to get some opinions.

205636676-M.jpg

here is a link to the gallery with the B&Ws

http://fotosbydavid.smugmug.com/gallery/3598407#P-1-15

cheers,

Dave
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Opinions = bellybuttons
    #14 wins for me. I thought #3 too contrasty. That's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream! BTW, what a wonderful photo!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    I have a belly button and an opinion. :D

What look are you going for?

The stuffed animal becomes quite distracting in some of the conversions- here are the ones I like

-14 This one comes across very gritty like a photo journalism shot from a war torn or poverty area. I like it alot.

-10 This one seems most like a portrait. Very soft and bright around the face, good detail in the hair. The animal really bugs me in this one though.

-2 I like this one as well.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    #6, without a doubt.

Now, having answered your question, let me ask one of my own.

Why would you B&W a shot that looks so good, and tells such a powerful story, in color? Your color version is tremendous, super shot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    haven't tried PS
    thanks for your reply. i ahven't tried PS because, ummm, hmmm, i really don't knwo how to use it yet. I don't have access to any books because i am currently in thailand and i am just trying to keep up managing my photos in lightroom

Dave

ps know of any good B&W tutorials?
    Nacho wrote:
    I liked the one that ends in 0005-3 best. Have you tried doing your BW conversion in Photoshop? I've used Lightroom (and presets) for BW, but when I want to truly tweak a shot I head to Photoshop. The shot you have in 0005-3 could also used a bit of sharpening, and Photoshop can do a better job of that. Although I often like a warmish tint on some BW, in this case, I prefer it without one, or without sepia added.

Thanks!,

N
  • wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    What am I looking for? good question, i wish i had a concrete answer. Someone ask me if i had a B&W of this little guy. At it made me think. i have been trying to get different portraits by changing angles, "posing" even using flash and the question about b&W made me think about doing a little post production. Problem is i liked them and was trying to see if there was maybe one or two that "the general public" perferred. I know we take photos that we like or that we think other people will like in order to "sell" them. I think the war torn look is best for this guy. also i wanted to bring his eyes out a little. i have about 300 out of 10,000 travel photos that i think would look good with some type of "artistic" application. the problem is with presets i can whip out 25 i=of the same photo in 10 minutes and then spend an hour trying to figure out which one i like.

hmm, think i opened a can of worms

Dave
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I have a belly button and an opinion. :D

What look are you going for?

The stuffed animal becomes quite distracting in some of the conversions- here are the ones I like

-14 This one comes across very gritty like a photo journalism shot from a war torn or poverty area. I like it alot.

-10 This one seems most like a portrait. Very soft and bright around the face, good detail in the hair. The animal really bugs me in this one though.

-2 I like this one as well.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Hands down, my favorite you your #10 (test-200700005-3). It has a good tonal range, good whites (but not blown), good blacks (but not plugged). Well done.
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Ah, no Photoshop, no worries. Lightroom will allow you to play enough. Try doing your tweaks in color first (vibrance, clarity, blacks and recovery if any), then desaturate completely. In the Develop mode all the way to the bottom of the right hand column, the Camera Calibration sliders will also be helpful as you set the RGB values that have the effect you like. You can also adjust the tone curve, and finish with some sharpening. But I also agree that the color version of your shot is pretty good, so maybe it does not need to go BW? : ) Then again, BW is not for "not so good" shots.

gassho,

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho