Options

Dark Corners

kiverskivers Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 13, 2007 in Technique
I took a bunch of pictures this weekend while hiking up in the white mountains, when I got home and looked at some of the pictures I noticed there were some dark corners. See example... (click for larger)
205449963-S.jpg

What would cause this? It's not that bad in some pictures, but in some of the HDR pics I did the effect is very noticable.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    I am certainly no expert but if you did not use a lens hood it could be bright light getting into the lens creating a shadowing effect in the corners. I see what you are talking about but I think the picture looks good considering it looks like you took the picture in some pretty harsh light.
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2007
    Thanks!

Would using a UV filter make the problem worse? I had one on for all of the shots.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    kivers wrote:
    Thanks!

Would using a UV filter make the problem worse? I had one on for all of the shots.

That really depends on the focal length of the lens......how wide was the lens.......some lens hoods will cause vignetting at the widest focal lengths.....as for filters, for WA lenses most companies make an ultra thin model for WA lenses to decrease the probability of vignetting......

HTH
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 8, 2007
    The focal length was 18mm, but my f-stop was 11. From the wikipedia entry it seems that lowering that a notche would resolve some of the issue.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    kivers wrote:
    The focal length was 18mm, but my f-stop was 11. From the wikipedia entry it seems that lowering that a notche would resolve some of the issue.

If it is the filter causing the vignetting (definitely a possibility at 18mm) then stopping down will make the corners darker with a more defined edge. If the problem is lens vignetting, then usually the corners get lighter as you stop down. Given the you are already at f/11, my guess is that the UV filter is the problem.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    As others said it's certainly possible the filter is causing the issue. You can get thinner filters which are less likely to cause this.

That said, it's often not a huge deal. Most software has functionality to lessen or remove vignetting, specifically by brightening the corners a bit. So you can give that a try.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2007
    Thanks for all of the tips and help! Next time I'm taking photos like that I'll experiment with the filter and see if it is the problem.