Options

Climbing/Slacklining at the 2008 Shootout

Comments

• Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    About the A frames make sure that when you set them up you wrap around the peg in the middle correctly or else it will bust the peg. I have a picture of that I'll look for later!

Yeah we busted a peg that day by wrapping wrong. The pics above are wrapped correctly though, and in fact you can see the busted peg still working fine in the second one. rolleyes1.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 15, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    My freind dropped me because we didn't know a few important things and were newbies!
    my first 'accident' of sorts was on a rap. my mistake--before the days of
    locking 'biners. fortunately, a short drop and no fall :eek1
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Theres something I forgot to mention that just came to my mind.

What type of camera bag / carrying case will everyone be bringing?
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Theres something I forgot to mention that just came to my mind.

I'll take my Lowepro SlingShot 300 for the 30D and a compact bag for the Canon G6.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Crumpler Karatchi outpost. It's big, I could get another bag for the trip. I've been meaning to get a smaller bag. What works the best with climbing?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I have a Lowepro Dryzone 200 but will have a day pack as well (large fanny pack w/shoulder strap) which I can use if big packs are an issue.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Sticking with the gear talk-

You gave a list of gear for slacklining- is this gear good for climbing too or is there a different seperate list for that?

I know shoes- helmet- and carribeeners are universal but what about ropes and other things?
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 18, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I know shoes- helmet- and carribeeners are universal but what about ropes and other things?
    Unless you plan on doing more climbing on your own, anything beyond the gear you mentioned will cost a lot, and get used very little. Climbing is always done with a partner... if you are a beginner, you really won't need much beyond your personal gear (which you already listed).

A good rule of thumb: if you don't know what a piece of gear does/haven't been taught how to use it, don't buy it (yet).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    I think gear may be the peak of the learning curve. IMHO. I am a free climber, and I have been scampering over, and up, natures obstacles since I was a kid. I will still climb anything that doesn't move (no comments, please!). Alas, I still need to learn the gear, and am not embarrassed to say, 'teach me'! I also don't want to spend more than necessary, so I will bring the basics: helmet, harness, and shoes, and buy the rest on the backside of the learning curve; once I learn the technicals of the gear.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    On Topic: I use a TAMRAC Adventure 7. I've found that for a full on hike it lacks a bit o' space; and to store a body, and long lens (my longest is a 70-300m, 6-8") it is kind of hard to get it all in the bottom pouch, especially with say two more lenses, filters, and, well, you know, the little things you want in the field. But for short trips, into the green, it feels good, weight-wise on your back, just know for sure what you want to bring. This particular carrier has add straps to carry a tripod at the base of the pack, but it may rattle a bit on a long hike. It is a roomy day pack...great for an afternoon scramble/shoot..just add lunch! Haven't had it on my back for a climb (yet), but figure, stay light, and only take what you know you will use. Can't wait for 2008 gear reviews!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    ttorres33ttorres33 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Catching Up
    As far as what I'm looking to get out of this ...

My first reaction to the highlining photo was literally, "wow, that would scare the sh*t out of me."

And my second thought was, "I'll never forgive myself if I don't sign up."

So I'm just looking to force myself outside of my comfort zone.

I've done very small amounts of rock-climbing. I took a class on an indoor wall and went on an outdoor climb with a friend who had been climbing for years. But that was all years ago.

As for gear, I'll probably rent unless I get hooked on climbing between now and then.

Teresa
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Now that I've seen the pics, I think I'm puckering at about f/64..... eek7.gif

(I'm still game, though!)

Ahahahaha rolleyes1.gif Schmooo everyone is fair game at these things girl,
    and the instant you show the slightest hint of being clumbsy some buggar will capture it on film for sure, and post it on the forum rolleyes1.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    ttorres33 wrote:
    As far as what I'm looking to get out of this ...

My first reaction to the highlining photo was literally, "wow, that would scare the sh*t out of me."

And my second thought was, "I'll never forgive myself if I don't sign up."

So I'm just looking to force myself outside of my comfort zone.

I've done very small amounts of rock-climbing. I took a class on an indoor wall and went on an outdoor climb with a friend who had been climbing for years. But that was all years ago.

As for gear, I'll probably rent unless I get hooked on climbing between now and then.

Teresa

Sounds great. I am glad you joined up despite thinknig it was crazy! Were excited about it for sure.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Ahahahaha rolleyes1.gif Schmooo everyone is fair game at these things girl,
    and the instant you show the slightest hint of being clumbsy some buggar will capture it on film for sure, and post it on the forum rolleyes1.gif

.... Skippy :D

Oooh Kelsey is gonna kill me, but I have to since you posted that.... :Drolleyes1.gif

Kelsey on our recent rope jumping excursion:
    bridge24.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    Oooh Kelsey is gonna kill me, but I have to since you posted that.... :Drolleyes1.gif

bridge24.jpg
    Now that's a great shot! rolleyes1.gif
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:

:lol

Yeah Skippy, that's what I'm afraid of. In a way being around a bunch of great photographers is good therapy because you kind of just have to give up and trust each other at some point. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    Oh man John you are such a turd!! Always getting the worst pictures of me heh.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:

I haven't answered this yet because I'm a little confuzzled. Are we going to be lugging our gear up there? I had assumed that this was a separate activity and that I'd maybe have my P&S in a pocket, nothing more than that. But correct me if I'm wrong!

A backpack would totally throw off my (already very poor) balance.... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I haven't answered this yet because I'm a little confuzzled. Are we going to be lugging our gear up there? I had assumed that this was a separate activity and that I'd maybe have my P&S in a pocket, nothing more than that. But correct me if I'm wrong!

A backpack would totally throw off my (already very poor) balance.... rolleyes1.gif

Well you'll at LEAST need your camera with you! :D The main concentration will be on how to handle ropes and rigging in such a way that you can get YOU and your CAMERA into a better position for that sweet shot. Of course in order to do this we need to climb, and a prime usage of high angle roped photography is shooting climbers, so it all fits together nicely!

Your camera bag should of course be capable of lugging your equipment up to the rocks. From there, it's likely to be a matter of lighter and more mobile carrying methods to get the camera up the rock. I choose the "hang it around my neck" method typically, but to each his own. :D I have a small Lowepro backpack that also works well, although when I get into position I have to sling it around to the front and open it to get the camera out, which dramatically improves the risks of dropping things. Nobody wants to drop things, so our great minds will be put to work to prevent that.

Kelsey, what did you have in mind when you asked?
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    Well you'll at LEAST need your camera with you! :D The main concentration will be on how to handle ropes and rigging in such a way that you can get YOU and your CAMERA into a better position for that sweet shot. Of course in order to do this we need to climb, and a prime usage of high angle roped photography is shooting climbers, so it all fits together nicely!

Your camera bag should of course be capable of lugging your equipment up to the rocks. From there, it's likely to be a matter of lighter and more mobile carrying methods to get the camera up the rock. I choose the "hang it around my neck" method typically, but to each his own. :D I have a small Lowepro backpack that also works well, although when I get into position I have to sling it around to the front and open it to get the camera out, which dramatically improves the risks of dropping things. Nobody wants to drop things, so our great minds will be put to work to prevent that.

Kelsey, what did you have in mind when you asked?

Yup the main idea for us was getting you AND your camera up safely to take pictures. There will be times when we will rig others up just to take pictures from above and let you get some practice with that. Its a really fun thing and will mix most everything you will learn!

As for how to carry it thats a tuff one. I have found that my favorite choice by far is the really odd yet easy to use fanny pack. I usually just slide it around to the front and theres my camera. It is easy to slide around as well if it gets in your way while climbing. If its to big it will be combersome. I would think about a fanny pack big enough for just the camera and possibly one extra lens. With the backpack johns got it down pretty well and it is a good option as well. HOwever you don't want it huge! I would consider what john has the biggest you will want. Which one is it again john? Which would accomodate a few lenses and an extra battery along with the camera. Still, its good to remember the more you have the more you can lose! I like having just the camera with my pre selected lens attached.

You can bring your huge pack and selection to the base of the climb and select from there as well. If you don't have anything at all that will work for this we may be able to accomodate for this by swapping bags for the climb.

;)

Heres a list of important things to have:

Camera Strap on the camera! - Very important I believe. Its easy to fumble while hanging on ropes. First thing I like to do is put the strap around my neck then take out the camera.

A backpack or waistpack. - Not to big. Smaller is often better. You won't want to bring that 400mm and 300mm and 200mm and 50mm and and and.... ;)

A top strap on the backpack or waistpack - Most backpacks have this top strap. Its the little U strap on the very top of the pack. Make sure its strong. Often you will hang your pack from a hook or something simliar and its best to have something strong to hang it by!

A pen cleaning brush - These work great and are very small. Its really easy to get dirt and other things on your lens in these situations. You'll want something easy to carry and small to bring up the rock with you.

As far as what we will be doing the smugmug shootout is a photography shootout and our friendly gathering wont be much different, were just going to add another element. ;) I'll sit down soon and hopefully we can get some of the final details hammered out and so everyone will know what to expect. !
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    Thanks for the clarification, Kelsey and John! When I climb things for photos I generally hang the camera around my neck by the strap and pray that the hood will protect the lens from banging too hard against whatever's around me. But I think for this a smaller backpack or even a cheesy-looking waist attachment would be worth it. When I go shooting I use a Whickey and Cox which is half my size - way too big for climbing.

Although if I make it to the top of whatever wall you set us, at that point I am sure that the photos Dgrinners are taking from below will be much more valuable to me. :D
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I have found that my favorite choice by far is the really odd yet easy to use fanny pack. I usually just slide it around to the front and theres my camera. It is easy to slide around as well if it gets in your way while climbing. If its to big it will be combersome. I would think about a fanny pack big enough for just the camera and possibly one extra lens

Glad to hear this. It seems like one more reason to pony up for a Think Tank belt system, with chimp cage, or maybe the Change Up.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Thanks for the clarification, Kelsey and John! When I climb things for photos I generally hang the camera around my neck by the strap and pray that the hood will protect the lens from banging too hard against whatever's around me. But I think for this a smaller backpack or even a cheesy-looking waist attachment would be worth it. When I go shooting I use a Whickey and Cox which is half my size - way too big for climbing.

Although if I make it to the top of whatever wall you set us, at that point I am sure that the photos Dgrinners are taking from below will be much more valuable to me. :D

Taking a picture of climbing from below is often difficult and results in what we like to call the "butt shot" heh. Its very common from the ground. One thing we hope to work on is turning pictures into showing the action of climbing and get the real feel of height, energy, and exposure. Exposure in climbing sense is more of the height combined with your own personal comfort level. Here is a picture someone has taken from the ground. (Random picture from someone I don't know)

Its not to bad but shows little as to how he's feeling about his next hold. What is coming next? Whats below him? All unknown! So we add a new element into it and get above him! (Johns Picture)

image.php?action=image&dir=2006&image=climb31.jpg

Now we can see the face, whats next, whats below and it begins to look a little more intense! When we get to the point where john has taken this photo he's hanging from a rope above me.

Heres another example. Christopher is climbing here and from below this route doesn't look to intimdating. But from above it begins to look a bit more daunting. Also as a belayer I have to make sure if he falls he dosent fall all the way to the ground too! Its an interesting system to work and its one of the things I think we would like to do in this gathering as well.
    177168932-L.jpg

This is the system I had setup on this very solid anchor so I could belay and shoot, now christopher is hanging from it.

177165410-L.jpg

As far as having the camera around the neck the problem comes from the climbing! Its really tuff to climb and not have it banging against the rock constantly. You need both your hands and sometimes you just cant toss it back around! Ive had this problem before heh and Ive got some nice scratches on my past cameras because of it. Having it on a pack will do wonders. If you don't want to buy an extra one I wouldn't worry about it much we could always have you climb up and strap in and then we would tie your big ol pack to the end of the rope and you could haul it up! thumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 18, 2007
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2008
    We have some more openings if anyone would like to join in. There is going to be a small gear fee and if you got it then your in! Let us know!
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2008
    John and Kelsey,

The time is fast approaching. The original thread has come alive with recent posts. It seems to me the climbing/slacklining participation has waned a bit from the initial announcement. Have you guys figured out how the climbing schedule will fit into the general schedule? You might want to discuss the scheduling and group organizing details with Andy so we're all on the same page and have a better idea of what will happen when. Thanks.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    Cuong wrote:
    Have you guys figured out how the climbing schedule will fit into the general schedule?
    Cuong,

There is no general schedule... People go out when they want to go out and follow the pros when they head out. The shootout is very "loose"
  • Options
    aktse wrote:
    Cuong,

There is no general schedule... People go out when they want to go out and follow the pros when they head out. The shootout is very "loose"
    Looks like there will be group activities for sunrise, sunset, and night shooting. I figure climbing/slacklining will take place during the day, between sunrise and sunset. It'd be nice to have a general idea and approximate time of all the activities throughout the day so people know what to expect and participate accordingly.

Cuong
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    aktse wrote:
    Cuong,

While this has been true, it will be less true this year, as we do plan on providing more structure. And there is, of course, the matter of chasing the light, and the thinking that mid-day while the light is poor maybe a good time for this kind of activity.

The other thing that I want to be really clear on, is that this is NOT a part of the shootout. It's an ancillary thing that some of you are interested in doing, but it's not something that Digitlal Grin is taking care of or is responsible for. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops