Options

LightRoom import fr device issue w/Bridge?

ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited October 20, 2007 in Finishing School
Not sure if this happened with the LR 1.2 update, or install of CS3...
I just opened LR to import pics from my CF card,
used to do it using "import photos from device"
that option is not available now, only option "import photos from disk"
and when I open that...
I get Canon folders, no preview of shots, no option for folders or keywords.
I want the LR window, shows preview, lets you name files, add keywords.

Since Bridge has been installed with CS3... does it "think" I am supposed to use it, not LR? Cause I prefer LR.

HELP?
THANKS!

Comments

• Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    One of the applications has the ability to set what the default app to open is when you insert a CF card.

You didn't mention what Platform. With a Mac you can do this via the "Image Capture" application. On a PC you're on your own. My advice would be "Get a Mac." rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    ShebaJo wrote:
    and when I open that...

Since Bridge has been installed with CS3... does it "think" I am supposed to use it, not LR? Cause I prefer LR.

HELP?
    THANKS!

In Lightroom in the Edit Menu, click on Preferences. In the Import Tab click the "Show Import Dialog when memory card is detected" option.

If that is checked and you are on Windows (at least Vista), check the Autoplay options in the Control Panel. If you are on XP it is a bit more difficult but a utility exists: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en
    Note I have never used this utility as both of the machines I have PS and LR on are Vista machines.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    One of the applications has the ability to set what the default app to open is when you insert a CF card.

You didn't mention what Platform. With a Mac you can do this via the "Image Capture" application. On a PC you're on your own. My advice would be "Get a Mac." rolleyes1.gif

I did. (Get a Mac.) I recently installed the software that came with my Canon Camera (1d Mark II) and now this Canon-provided software (called Camera Windo DVC) jumps up and wants to import all my images instead of lightroom. I can't find any place to change this behavior to make this other software stop jumping up. I don't want to delete the software entirely because I intend to use it for capture when the camera itself (not just a card reader) is attached to the computer so I can automatically capture from the card to the laptop for a larger "review" on the laptop screen instead of the camera screen.

Can you give this Mac novice (and experienced Windoze user) detailed instructions on where to look for settings to change this behavior? I've looked in the application preferences - nothing there. The software isn't in the "system startup folder" - and it doesn't start when I boot the Mac, or when I plug in an external hard drive, just when I attach a CF card reader. I can't find anything in System Preferences but maybe I'm not looking in the right sub-module.

Thanks!

jc
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    On my Mac, I had to go to the Image Capture application. It was in the Applications folder. Then I had to go to its preferences and tell it what to do when a camera is connected.

Intuitive ain't it....eek7.gifheadscratch.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    ShebaJo wrote:
    and when I open that...

HELP?
    THANKS!

From what I understand, this is a bug in LR 1.2. The "Import Photos From Device..." menu option is disabled, but if you click on the "Import..." button at the bottom of the left hand Library panel, you can import from your card like before.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    jcdill wrote:
    I did. (Get a Mac.) I recently installed the software that came with my Canon Camera (1d Mark II) and now this Canon-provided software (called Camera Windo DVC) jumps up and wants to import all my images instead of lightroom. I can't find any place to change this behavior to make this other software stop jumping up. I don't want to delete the software entirely because I intend to use it for capture when the camera itself (not just a card reader) is attached to the computer so I can automatically capture from the card to the laptop for a larger "review" on the laptop screen instead of the camera screen.

Can you give this Mac novice (and experienced Windoze user) detailed instructions on where to look for settings to change this behavior? I've looked in the application preferences - nothing there. The software isn't in the "system startup folder" - and it doesn't start when I boot the Mac, or when I plug in an external hard drive, just when I attach a CF card reader. I can't find anything in System Preferences but maybe I'm not looking in the right sub-module.

Thanks!

jc
    In LightRoom...
    Under "Edit"
    click "Preferences"
    then "Import"
    First option is "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected"

I clicked it... no problems since. I also disabled the auto import option in PSElements via "Edit" and "Pref." I know the Canon program that came with my 20d has preferences under file. But, I am not sure that goes with the Canon program that came with the 1d Mark II... I wish I had that problem. mwink.gif

At least if you can get LR to launch it's menu, you can import with it, just say no to Canon.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    bug... grrr
    mike_k wrote:
    From what I understand, this is a bug in LR 1.2. The "Import Photos From Device..." menu option is disabled, but if you click on the "Import..." button at the bottom of the left hand Library panel, you can import from your card like before.

Thanks... I was hoping it was a bug with LR 1.2, not CS3.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    On my Mac, I had to go to the Image Capture application. It was in the Applications folder. Then I had to go to its preferences and tell it what to do when a camera is connected.

Intuitive ain't it....eek7.gifheadscratch.gif

As I said in my prior post, the software that is doing this is Camera Window DVC and there are NO settings (that I can find) within the software itself to make it stop doing it.

What I need to know is if there's anywhere that the Mac tells this software "hey, here's a camera or memory card" and if I can tell the Mac "don't talk to that software about this event".

jc
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    ShebaJo wrote:
    In LightRoom...
    Under "Edit"
    click "Preferences"
    then "Import"
    First option is "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected"

I clicked it... no problems since.

I have no problems with Lightroom - it does exactly what I want. The problem is with the other software.

You're on Windoze, yes? On a Mac the Preferences are found under the software menu (in this case the Lightroom menu) and not under File.

jc