Options

when Lightroom and noise reduction collides

oddstuffoddstuff Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited October 9, 2007 in Finishing School
I have a problem trying to reduce noise with Neat Image (or Noise Ninja or whatever) after processing with Lightroom. I find that the noise reduction software will fail if I first tweaked the exposure settings in Lightroom.

What I did was to do just a simple export to Photoshop as PSD, then apply noise reduction, before going back to Lightroom to adjust the photo image's color balance, exposure and other settings. That was really quite a hassle.:whew

Anyone has better recommendation?
Anicca - the Theory of Impermanence: camera changes, photos stay (in Smugmug).
About me - one of the the junior siblings in Dgrin family (DOB May 2006).

Comments

• Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    it's not really the best solution either way. It's one of the biggest complaints I and many others have about lightroom. There is a hope that in one of the next updates to Lightroom, the API (which has been announced but not many details) will allow third parties to hook into things like sharpening and noise reduction so that we won't have to have crazy workflows like this.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    oddstuffoddstuff Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    jogle wrote:
    it's not really the best solution either way. It's one of the biggest complaints I and many others have about lightroom. There is a hope that in one of the next updates to Lightroom, the API (which has been announced but not many details) will allow third parties to hook into things like sharpening and noise reduction so that we won't have to have crazy workflows like this.
    They are not providing plugins for it yet... not sure if there will ever be one.
    Anicca - the Theory of Impermanence: camera changes, photos stay (in Smugmug).
    About me - one of the the junior siblings in Dgrin family (DOB May 2006).
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    oddstuff wrote:
    Anyone has better recommendation?

< smart aleck mode > Don't use an all-in-one app? < / smart aleck mode >

Seriously, this is why I don't like the concept. While it will take a little longer up front & on the surface seem more complex, IMHO selecting a best-in-breed app for each stage of PP is a far better way.

My better recommendation is find a better RAW converter; then select NN, Noiseware, or Neat Image--whichever fit's the "best-in-breed" tag for you. And so on.