Options

Pro Pricing is BADLY in need of a makeover

pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
edited July 13, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I set portfolio pricing a long time ago and have barely ever adjusted any prices. But tonight I'm trying to change the price of just 9 pictures in one gallery (that has many more pictures). What an incredible pain! Seems like such a simple task, but it's taking me forever.

First I set prices for one of the images. I realized that it took way too long to do eight more times. So I smartened up and created a new private gallery with one picture and set gallery pricing on that one. Then I'm able to select each of the nine photos I want to change and set their pricing to match the pricing of the gallery I created.

The first few went fine. Then I forgot to change to pricing just that image, so I changed the pricing of the entire gallery (the default). Then I had to play around for a while to figure out that I could clear the gallery pricing to recover the portfolio pricing (the custom pro pricing page shows 0 profit next to each item, so I wasn't sure).

I was happy to find that even though the gallery pricing was reset, the pictures that I individually priced retained their prices. But it takes a lot of steps to figure that out... I'd imagine that it would be a royal pain to try to clear all individually prices pictures in the gallery later if I decided to reset them.

Anyway, I'm just finding this very frustrating, so I'd just like to recommend that smugmug take a look at what they can do to make this process a little (ok a LOT) smoother. I would recommend that custom pro pricing should appear under the gallery tools dropdown (defaulted to "gallery" pricing), and it should also appear under the photo tools dropdown (defaulted to "image" pricing).

But work on package pricing and photo books first! :D

Edit: Just after posting this, I mistakenly edited my gallery pricing AGAIN. I give up. Too stupid to set prices. :)

Dave

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Thanks Dave.

All the tools are due for a makeover - you can count on it.
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Haha- Oops, I just saw this post, and I had just made one of my own!
    I feel your pain, bud, but I do trust that the SmugMug heroes will save us!
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 10, 2007
    G'day Dave,

We just recently exposed pro pricing via the api, so I am hoping that at some point we will start seeing pro pricing in some 3rd party apps as well.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    In the meantime, for my own sanity, I've just posted [thread=73443]this thread[/thread] with some javascript code to add a direct link to Custom Pro Pricing for the current photo. Should help me a bit, hopefully others too.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Step two in my effort to make pricing easy for me [thread=73473]here[/thread]. It's a FireFox GreaseMoney user script to set prices to 0 for all prints that would require cropping.
  • Options
    BelgBelg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    a front-end for it that works like the "bulk add/edit keywords" with selectable images... pick the picturees you want, then click "adjust pricing" would be effective and efficient.

Have never tried it below gallery level, so I don't know if it exists... shoot me if it does :)
  • Options
    bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    pilotdave wrote:
    But work on package pricing and photo books first! :D
    Seriously! Is there still no word on when this is going to happen? I fear my year of being a pro user is nearing and I'll have to switch, even though I really don't want to. Package pricing/coupon codes/discounts would definitely keep me here iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Another request for bulk-order discounts or email-able discount coupons. I have people asking me to make a deal if they order several prints of the same photo. The only way I can figure out to do that is to adjust the pricing for a short time when I know they're going to order and then set it back to the original. I don't want to so blatantly slap other customers in the face with the knowledge that ofter they ordered theirs at the original prices I lowered the price for someone else.

Also, is there any way to kill the default-pricing "non-report" so when we ignorant noobs leave it at the default, we actually know who may have ordered what (oh, and how much SmugMug and the printer may have made off our galleries ne_nau.gif )?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    Also, is there any way to kill the default-pricing "non-report" so when we ignorant noobs leave it at the default, we actually know who may have ordered what (oh, and how much SmugMug and the printer may have made off our galleries ne_nau.gif )?
    I assure you our intent is not to make money off your galleries, we want YOU to make money off your galleries thumb.gif

Yes, there's a way. Set Portfolio Pricing. That way, you'll never be caught with non-priced galleries.

We outline that in the pricing help page and pricing video: http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Yep, I realize that Andy. And I fully admit that it's my own fault for not fully reading the instructions and setting my own pro-pricing first (even if I only set the margin at $.01 to just get them to register). Not blaming or accusing you guys of anything untoward, just asking that you help us protect ourselves from ourselves lol. I really like this site and really appreciate the help you've given me in turning a hobby into a way to make a bit of money (buying the new Nikon I want won't be as painful now :D). Just offering what I would find helpful, not trying to slag what is here.
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Pro Pricing
    Andy wrote:
    I assure you our intent is not to make money off your galleries, we want YOU to make money off your galleries thumb.gif

Yes, there's a way. Set Portfolio Pricing. That way, you'll never be caught with non-priced galleries.

We outline that in the pricing help page and pricing video: http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing

Hope this helps!
    I emailed you about the same thing as the above post. Some of my galleries were set incorrectly to sell prints thru smugmug and were un protected for 6 hours on monday. I have not had a sale all week in these 5 galleries. I wonder why??? I must have started with the Default gallery. Please change the default to be private and no sales of prints to protect us from ourselves!!!!!! Tried setting the Portfolio pro pricing but it does not seem to be working. I set all pricing to zero which is supposed to set that item not to show up but they still show up.
    HELP!!!! This is killing my bottom line.
    I really need to know how many sales I lost this week!!!!
    I know this is not the spot to ask but I relly need to be able to know how many hits I get at any time frame I want to check.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    MJRPHOTO.....site Hijacks my browser !!
    Just reading thru this thread, and wanted to check out your site/photo's. To my suprise and it really PISSES me off your site hijacked my browser. Do you have code in your site that will not let me or anyone else use the back button? I tried about 12 times using the back button to get back to this thread with NO success, I had to exit my tab completly, then enter Dgrin again. You may like this or even think its cute or keeps customers at your site. But for me I will never visit your site again or any site like yours. I find it very unprofessional and it again REALLY PISSES me off.

If for some reason this was just a glitch, my sincere appologies for my rant.

BUT, if it is your intent to trap customers/people at your site let me say it again....IT PISSES ME OFF!!! and I bet many other users that have visted your site.
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Onrey wrote:
    Just reading thru this thread, and wanted to check out your site/photo's. To my suprise and it really PISSES me off your site hijacked my browser. Do you have code in your site that will not let me or anyone else use the back button? I tried about 12 times using the back button to get back to this thread with NO success, I had to exit my tab completly, then enter Dgrin again. You may like this or even think its cute or keeps customers at your site. But for me I will never visit your site again or any site like yours. I find it very unprofessional and it again REALLY PISSES me off.

BUT, if it is your intent to trap customers/people at your site let me say it again....IT PISSES ME OFF!!! and I bet many other users that have visted your site.

Did you hit the back button once or twice? I ask because it looks like he/she has a redirect on the site. So you go to www.mjrphoto.net and it redirects to the smugmug site. And if you hit back once, it will just redirect. But if you hit it twice, it should return here.

But for me, it opened in a new browser window so I had to close that window and come back here....

I doubt it was malicious.

--- Just a barely interested bystander.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    Onrey wrote:

Hey now, don't get flaming now, it's probably an honest mistake :)

Mike, (MJRphoto), you are using improper forwarding :) Use a proper CNAME Alias, and that nasty register.com interstitial page won't happen. Also, forward can cause havoc with visitor cookies for shopping cart, and for gallery passwords. How to CNAME? Right here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

Write our support heroes at the help desk if you need help deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    Photogmomma, I just clicked on his link, went to his page tried to leave by clicking on the back button about a dozen times with no luck, just kept being sent back to his page (redirect/hijack) pretty much the same in my mind, the intentions are the same, to trap people. This I dislike, ALOT.

Andy, no "flame" intended, just a honest personal review of his site :andy
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 24, 2007
    Onrey wrote:
    ust kept being sent back to his page (redirect/hijack) pretty much the same in my mind, the intentions are the same, to trap people. This I dislike, ALOT.

I highly doubt this is the intention of the site owner, his custom domain isn't configured correctly and that's causing the issue that you are seeing.

His custom domain redirects to his SmugMug domain, so by only clicking "back" once...it takes you back to his custom domain which then forwards to you back to SmugMug domain...it's hardly hijacking your browser. If you had clicked "back" twice, you would have returned to the page you were originally viewing.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    I have posted this twice now, I clicked back 12 times! not once not twice but 12 times. All it would do is take me back to the exact same page I was viewing. I hate that.
    www.fitephotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Onrey wrote:
    I have posted this twice now, I clicked back 12 times! not once not twice but 12 times. All it would do is take me back to the exact same page I was viewing. I hate that.
    Onrey, enough please :D I'm *certain* that it is a simple user mistake. Please, you are :deadhorse

Move along, give the poster a chance to fix his setup, okay?
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Onrey wrote:

If you use Internet Explorer, just just the Back button's drop down menu. You'll see a history of previously visited pages. Open this dropdown menu and click the second from the top and you'll be able to go back.

His site is not hijacking your browser in the sense that every "window.close"-event (when you move to another web-page) causes the browser to go back to the same page again and again and again. It's just an HTTP-REFER.

(Of course, if his site opens in a new browser-window, the history is only one long and it looks like hijacking.)

I admit it is a little anoying, but certainly not hijacking.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    If you use Internet Explorer, just just the Back button's drop down menu. You'll see a history of previously visited pages. Open this dropdown menu and click the second from the top and you'll be able to go back.

His site is not hijacking your browser in the sense that every "window.close"-event (when you move to another web-page) causes the browser to go back to the same page again and again and again. It's just an HTTP-REFER.

(Of course, if his site opens in a new browser-window, the history is only one long and it looks like hijacking.)

I admit it is a little anoying, but certainly not hijacking.
    Hey. Just saw this responce to my site. I am really sorry if the way I have this set up is causing trouble. It was not intentional. I am not a wizkid at the web setup as you can tell. If you think I did this on purpose you are giving me way to much credit. I will try to fix this at some point. I am way to busy at this point to figure it out now. All help will be appreciated.

Michael
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    capricapri Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2008
    Going back to what this thread was about....
    MJRPHOTO wrote:
    Hey. Just saw this responce to my site. I am really sorry if the way I have this set up is causing trouble. It was not intentional. I am not a wizkid at the web setup as you can tell. If you think I did this on purpose you are giving me way to much credit. I will try to fix this at some point. I am way to busy at this point to figure it out now. All help will be appreciated.

Michael

I do agree that the pro pricing needs help. My main concern at this point (as I posted in another thread) is we need package pricing. I am totally confused with html, so setting up a paypal link for package pricing is totally daunting. I am getting ready to start portrait parties, but without package pricing it is totally ridiculous to even attempt to make any money. People don't want to pay for packages without being able to see them first and they don't want to have to go to a site and then e-mail me and then wait until they can get me a check or cash since I can't take cards at home and I don't want to order without their money in hand. Anyway, please get package pricing SOON!

Thanks for listening to my plea!
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    capri wrote:
    I do agree that the pro pricing needs help.

We recently revamped the tool to make it easier to gr0k.

Packages? Yeah, I want 'em too :D