LPS 14 - Argh!

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited October 13, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, does this happen to anyone else? You spend an entire day processing one image and go to bed happy and content that you've nailed it...only to wake up and absolutely hate some of the things you did the night before. :rolleyes Welcome to my morning!

I'm still tweaking this thing, but it's gotten to the point I just don't know anymore. So I figured I'd let all you experts have at it. Which version do you prefer?

Original Entry
205811066-L.jpg

New Version (lightened the face a little and made it a smidge less orange)
206023939-L.jpg

:dunno

Comments

• TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Kerry,

The differences are very subtle and my monitor on my work pc is bad, but it appears that the skin tones in the 2nd are more natural. Take it with a grain of salt though - it could just be my monitor.

I think the plain green background detracts from the image. I don't know if it possible, but if you could reshoot with a wooded backdrop, I think it would really make the image.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    I love this image. I think the eyes can be brought out a bit more, though. Try dodging them a bit do make them stand out and see how you like it.

I have a link bookmarked at home that may be useful for you.
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Yes! I do that ALL the time too...

#2 out of these two - great idea btw.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    I think the plain green background detracts from the image. I don't know if it possible, but if you could reshoot with a wooded backdrop, I think it would really make the image.
    Thanks, Travis! I find your opinion about the green background very intriguing. By "wooded," do you mean a full forest or just something with warm tones and grain?
    richtersl wrote:
    I love this image. I think the eyes can be brought out a bit more, though. Try dodging them a bit do make them stand out and see how you like it.
    Thanks, Linda! I have dodged the eyes a bit already (moreso in the second version than the first), but I'll take another looksee at 'em. I was afraid of going too far and making them look nuclear. mwink.gif
    sherstone wrote:
    Yes! I do that ALL the time too...

#2 out of these two - great idea btw.
    I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. :D Thanks for the feedback!
    edited October 9, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thanks, Travis! I find your opinion about the green background very intriguing. By "wooded," do you mean a full forest or just something with warm tones and grain?

Forest. The image really gives the druid vibe and a wooded setting would complete the fantasy.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Kerry,

Out of these I do prefer #2, however I think that a setup/backgroup other than a studio look may push this idea further. The wooded idea is interesting, but you could also try a black background and more dramatic lighting. You would need a little backlighting to make the twigs stand out as well.

Very cool idea and really nice as is, just a touch more drama would be worth pursuing.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Kerry!

I love the idea but I have to agree that I think a different background might work better. I love your paint color but the shadow from the twigs is distracting me. thumb.gif
    edited October 13, 2007
    After all the great feedback, I find myself stuck again. Are any of these an improvement? Heading in the right direction? ne_nau.gif

207599998-M.jpg

207599853-M.jpg

207599937-M.jpg

207600090-M.jpg
    (Sorry--I just really like green! :D)
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Hi Kerry,

You do have a tough choice to make here, but all of these are an improvement over the original with those shadows now gone. I actually find #1 out of this batch quite engaging, and it would probably be my top pick. The other versions are quite nice too, just have a more "polished" look to them , so I guess it depends on what you're going for.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited October 13, 2007
    #1 but you probably guessed I would say that :D Can I borrow the one you don't use seeing I have nothing so far? Laughing.gif
    edited October 13, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    #1 but you probably guessed I would say that :D Can I borrow the one you don't use seeing I have nothing so far? Laughing.gif

Ha! I'm flattered you'd even consider borrowing my stuff. :D

Thanks so much for your suggestion about the forest. I was lucky in that I went to the Poconos last weekend and had some fresh fall foliage shots to use. thumb.gif
    edited October 13, 2007
    Hi Kerry,

You do have a tough choice to make here, but all of these are an improvement over the original with those shadows now gone. I actually find #1 out of this batch quite engaging, and it would probably be my top pick. The other versions are quite nice too, just have a more "polished" look to them , so I guess it depends on what you're going for.

Emily

Thanks, Emily. You have a good point about the polished look. #1 certainly has more of a story with that background. Hm...headscratch.gif
  • MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I think the woodsy background of #1 compliments the mask.
    edited October 13, 2007
    MarkTodd wrote:
    I think the woodsy background of #1 compliments the mask.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :D

I wish all my life's decisions could be so easily swayed by popular vote... mwink.gif
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    The new #1 is my favorite!clap.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
    edited October 13, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    The new #1 is my favorite!clap.gif

Thanks, Felicia! :D

Guess I have no choice but to abandon my love of green. rolleyes1.gif
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thanks, Felicia! :D

Guess I have no choice but to abandon my love of green. rolleyes1.gif

There's still green in the background.... GREENery!
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Number 1 for sure! (the new one that is)
    edited October 13, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    Number 1 for sure! (the new one that is)

Thank you! I have submitted to the peer pressure. mwink.gif