smugmug blocked from a lot of sites

AllizDogStudiosAllizDogStudios Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited October 12, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've sent out my gallery to only 5 people so far, and two of them told me that it was blocked by their company's IT dept.

right now I'm using the standard allizdogstudios.smugmug.com address. If I did that thing (cname?) where the address was www.allizdogstudios.com, would that help? Or would the servers still know that it's a smugmug site and keep blocking it?

Problem is, I may eventually have some clients that will need to see photos that I host here. Like if I shoot an event for them. So I'll need to find a workaround if there is one.

Comments

• cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Im not sure about the CNAME but most IT depts. (since I am in one) block based on content. Thier IT people may block photo sharing.....which in Smugmug's case probably wont ever change so people who cant get in would just have to do it from home. Besides people should be working at work right??? rolleyes1.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    I moved this post to SmugMug Support. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AllizDogStudiosAllizDogStudios Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    I set up the CNAME thing and my wife was able to access the site using www.allizdogstudios.com from her office. They had blocked allizdogstudios.smugmug.com.

So, seems to have worked clap.gif
  • stlracingstlracing Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Many corporations use software to block known photo sites simply to save bandwidth and to keep workers from spending countless time browsing their friends/families photo galleries.

Most of that type software that corporations use, block sites based off of domain names. So they are blocking everything that has smugmug.com in the domain name.

In order to save bandwidth, the US military is blocking photobucket.com on all of their networks, not only by domain name, but by blocking their entire range of IP addresses that they use/own.
  • RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    stlracing wrote:
    In order to save bandwidth, the US military is blocking photobucket.com on all of their networks, not only by domain name, but by blocking their entire range of IP addresses that they use/own.

To save bandwidth, I'm sure! rolleyes1.gif
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    cwphotos wrote:
    Besides people should be working at work right??? rolleyes1.gif
    That's pure poppycock! THat's why I quit my job..
    Didn't have enough time to spend on dgrin mwink.gif
    cwphotos wrote:
    To save bandwidth, I'm sure!
    USGov doesn't care about bandwidth. Every rule and implimentation they have ever created is because someone in the service did something really stupid..

Some rogue pictures probably showed up on the bucket and the right (read a big wig) person found out.... No more bucket...
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    I've sent out my gallery to only 5 people so far, and two of them told me that it was blocked by their company's IT dept.

right now I'm using the standard allizdogstudios.smugmug.com address. If I did that thing (cname?) where the address was www.allizdogstudios.com, would that help? Or would the servers still know that it's a smugmug site and keep blocking it?

Problem is, I may eventually have some clients that will need to see photos that I host here. Like if I shoot an event for them. So I'll need to find a workaround if there is one.

Yes, it will work. BUT, there is code on the page that will still refer to smugmug.com, which will cause some of the javascript to fail to load. For me, this causes the smugmug style to fail and all the ajax fanciness (a lot of the nice features) to fail. But I can change the page style to Traditional and my site works.

Dave
  • thehikingdudethehikingdude Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    I had the same issue for the last 2-3 years. Somehow magically our firewalls were updated to NOT block Smugmug. What's funny is that all the other photo sites are still blocked.

Needless to say I was very happy. It was such a pain to not be able to play from work. rolleyes1.gif

Now that I have a Pro Site it will be very interesting to see if they add Smugmug back into the mix along with an IP address range. I will cry if they do so. I won't mention that I work in the Info Security group of ______ and could use my influence to make changes to the firewall rules. That would be wrong.

What really burns me is that drgrin.com is blocked! ARGH!!!!!!!
  • RichardJohnRichardJohn Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    USGov doesn't care about bandwidth. Every rule and implimentation they have ever created is because someone in the service did something really stupid..

Some rogue pictures probably showed up on the bucket and the right (read a big wig) person found out.... No more bucket...

That's what I was alluding to... they're getting very irritated by footage and photos coming out of Iraq.