Dumb Question from Me....

D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited October 20, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
COMPUTER.... What to get .... I know the faster the better but , how about this from EBAY.... I will be downloading 14 MB files RAW and then doing what I have to do... Which I have no clue but , my G4 is hurting with the Tiff files from my Sony Point and shoot.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200158711686&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010 This is just a reference.... Photoshop CS2 to begin with in my Digital Darkroom... This is all new to me.....

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 9, 2007
    Lots of threads on this topic, and lots of personal opinions...

but the basics... image files are very large, so you'll need, in order of importance:

(a) plenty of RAM, 1gb at the very least, so that things don't slow to a crawl as you're manipulating the image. working on multiple images with multiple layers, you'll really want more than 1gb.

(b) plenty of hard drive space, depends on your storage needs, but try to keep at least 10% of your hard drive free - this affects your temporary work space and filling your drive will slow you down.

(c) a nice big monitor! with all the photoshop toolbars and sizes of images from big megapixel cameras, you'll want all the screen real estate you can get

(d) processor... to be honest, most modern processors will run photoshop just fine, it's really more about the RAM. With nearly equal RAM, I don't see huge speed differences from my old Powerbook G4 to my MacBook Pro, where the latter has a nearly twice as fast processor.

So in summary, get something that fits your budget, spend money a nice big monitor and plenty of RAM.

As to your ebay link for the Pro, based on your question, you don't sound like a pro, I would say you really don't NEED a quad-core processor for photos. Wouldn't your money be better spent on a complete package? For that kind of money, you can get the top of the line 24" imac.

And FWIW, if you're buying Apple, I would always buy direct from Apple. the $50 you save on ebay or from a reseller isn't worth the possible hassle, again, just personal opinion, but Apple's sales service has done me right many times over.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 9, 2007
    CS2 is SO yesterday:D

CS3 has some REALLY big advantages over CS2, that I cannot imagine choosing to use CS2 except under duress. I usually hate Adobe's upgrades and extortions, but this upgrade is very worthwhile.

Adobe Raw Convertor 4.1 is heads and shoulders better than the version in CS2. The Highlight Recovery and Fill Sliders are absent in CS2 and would be sorely missed. The Clarity and Vibrance sliders get frequent use also.

I do not mean to step on delicate feelings here re CS2 vs CS3, but this has been the opinion of a large number of pros as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And FWIW, if you're buying Apple, I would always buy direct from Apple. the $50 you save on ebay or from a reseller isn't worth the possible hassle, again, just personal opinion, but Apple's sales service has done me right many times over.

I agree, and would add that their refurbs are a good way to save money.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • D_C_NCD_C_NC Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Lots of threads on this topic, and lots of personal opinions...

but the basics... image files are very large, so you'll need, in order of importance:

(a) plenty of RAM, 1gb at the very least, so that things don't slow to a crawl as you're manipulating the image. working on multiple images with multiple layers, you'll really want more than 1gb.

(b) plenty of hard drive space, depends on your storage needs, but try to keep at least 10% of your hard drive free - this affects your temporary work space and filling your drive will slow you down.

(c) a nice big monitor! with all the photoshop toolbars and sizes of images from big megapixel cameras, you'll want all the screen real estate you can get

(d) processor... to be honest, most modern processors will run photoshop just fine, it's really more about the RAM. With nearly equal RAM, I don't see huge speed differences from my old Powerbook G4 to my MacBook Pro, where the latter has a nearly twice as fast processor.

So in summary, get something that fits your budget, spend money a nice big monitor and plenty of RAM.

As to your ebay link for the Pro, based on your question, you don't sound like a pro, I would say you really don't NEED a quad-core processor for photos. Wouldn't your money be better spent on a complete package? For that kind of money, you can get the top of the line 24" imac.

I am ignorant as said earlier on this subject, I made a living shooting for 15 years before circumstances created an early retirement ,not by my choosing , and I went sailing for quite awhile ... Now I need to have a reason to be here on this planet and the only two things actually three things I have excelled at are still photography , commercial film production , and sailing a sailboat anywhere in the world. I can not sail a boat through out the world as I did as I got remarried , I am on old fart and the commercial Film industry eats you alive at 19 years old , well here we are with stills and if you want to get to Pete Turners fame yes it will kill you,,, ( anyone know Pete turner) anyway I am in this because I want to have a purpose and I did OK as kid , retired at 30 ... Retirement is not all it is cracked up to be.... Thanks for the help.... Here is a memory that will freak you out, maybe not ..... sc00005207.jpg I am there in that photo,,,,
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Haha, nice photo!

Anyway... that should be a very good computer for editing. It would run Lightroom or Aperture nicely. As for Photoshop... you'd want CS3 as it will be roughly 3x as fast as CS2 on that machine (CS2 is PowerPC native, CS3 is also Intel native, and that makes a huge difference).

2 GB of RAM will be okay... if you are running LR and Photoshop at the same time you may want 4 GB of RAM in which case you can buy it later (very, very easy to install).

That machine will have legs for years. So much faster than your G4 it's not even funny.

As far as warranty, etc., it has AppleCare so as long as the seller properly transfers it to you (they have to send in a form to Apple) you should be just fine.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 9, 2007
    D_C_NC wrote:
    I am ignorant as said earlier on this subject, I made a living shooting for 15 years before circumstances created an early retirement ,not by my choosing , and I went sailing for quite awhile ... Now I need to have a reason to be here on this planet and the only two things actually three things I have excelled at are still photography , commercial film production , and sailing a sailboat anywhere in the world. I can not sail a boat through out the world as I did as I got remarried , I am on old fart and the commercial Film industry eats you alive at 19 years old , well here we are with stills and if you want to get to Pete Turners fame yes it will kill you,,, ( anyone know Pete turner) anyway I am in this because I want to have a purpose and I did OK as kid , retired at 30 ... Retirement is not all it is cracked up to be.... Thanks for the help.... Here is a memory that will freak you out, maybe not ..... I am there in that photo,,,,
    Well there's some history! :D

I didn't mean anything by the "you don't sound like a Pro"... just pointing out that unless photo/video processing are the real core of your business or time, your money is better spent on a big monitor and RAM than on super fast processors.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited October 9, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Well there's some history! :D

I didn't mean anything by the "you don't sound like a Pro"... just pointing out that unless photo/video processing are the real core of your business or time, your money is better spent on a big monitor and RAM than on super fast processors.
    No harm no foul as I am really trying to wade my way through the jungle of digital, rather be to much than too little.... I do have a Samsung 210T LCD and it seems to work OK , I have just noticed the little bit of messing around with the HP stuff I have the TIFF images really slow the old G4 down and when I get the 1 Ds Mark II , I am wondering what I will need.... Thanks to all , I am just learning and will ask dumb questions but , realize I will try not to make the same miststake twice and not waste your time.... Thanks to everyone.... The quality of Digital is really cool But , German glass still rules
    edited October 10, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    CS2 is SO yesterday:D

CS3 has some REALLY big advantages over CS2, that I cannot imagine choosing to use CS2 except under duress. I usually hate Adobe's upgrades and extortions, but this upgrade is very worthwhile.

Adobe Raw Convertor 4.1 is heads and shoulders better than the version in CS2. The Highlight Recovery and Fill Sliders are absent in CS2 and would be sorely missed. The Clarity and Vibrance sliders get frequent use also.

I do not mean to step on delicate feelings here re CS2 vs CS3, but this has been the opinion of a large number of pros as well.
    I asked a few other people and they agreed for the most part with you , So CS3 it will be... Thanks for the thoughts....
  • jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    jesus going from a 100mhz fsb g4 to that monster mac pro's gonna be like night and day.I think its overkill unless u are gonna be doing very processor demanding video apps, a core 2 duo imac be plenty fast rolleyes1.gif
    jm photography
    edited October 18, 2007
    jay wrote:
    jesus going from a 100mhz fsb g4 to that monster mac pro's gonna be like night and day.I think its overkill unless u are gonna be doing very processor demanding video apps, a core 2 duo imac be plenty fast rolleyes1.gif
    My G4 died Tuesday ( I just got back from NYC, went to B&H bowdown.gif)so I am going to see tommorrow if it ( G4 ) can be mended enough for me to fool around with the CS3 I just received in the mail. The guy at B&H told me about a must read book to help you with CS3 but , I forgot the name and went to Barnes and Noble and of Course there are more than one can anyone give a suggestion? You can not upgrade the imac very much is my only problem with it but , you are correct about overkill I know . I am waiting awhile anyway to get another computer unless of course my G4 is DOA... Thanks for all the help... Really liked the 1 Ds Mark II camera ( Small LCD , do not know if that really matters) and the 1 D mark III looked great ( lighter , newr software ) also then the 1Ds Mark III REALLY SOUNDED GREAT , B & H is a place you prove if you have any restraint or not... eek7.gif Thanks Again....
  • jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    i run cs2 on a g4 its upgraded a little though but is usable but nothing like the intel macs. the imacs will accept 4 gigs of ram now and have a pretty good processor so power or any upgrades are not going to be needed forawhilerolleyes1.gif
    jm photography
  • mrbill62mrbill62 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    The Apple Store online has (as of this posting):

Refurb Mac Pro Quad 2.0 GHz/1 GB RAM/250GB HD/16x Superdrive/NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory for $1899

-- or --

Refurb Mac Pro Quad 3.0 GHz/2 GB ram/250 GB HD/16x Superdrive/ATI Radeon X1900 XT with 512MB memory for $3299.

Just add RAM from somewhere else OWC etc.

Good deals on previous generation iMacs 20" for $1099 or 24" for $1449.