Zoya

J KaceyJ Kacey Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited October 12, 2007 in People
Hello everyone,
This is couple of recent picture's of a young aspiring model in my area. Her name is Zoya. Wondering what you folks think? This is attempt of finding a cute Russian model here in the States. Not up to Yuri image standards, but I think they turned out well.

Image 1
206116712-L.jpg

Image 2
205476177-L.jpg

Comments

• 12201220 Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Nice work! I happen to like both shots, and she does very well in front of the lens. Its the kind of sequence (IMO) that leaves you wanting more and ultimately thats a good thing. Keep up the fine work.
    Disclaimer: Just because I have an opinion, that doesnt mean I'm right.
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    cool, full lenth and a 3/4 shot...now lets see some yuri style headshots...and those yuri eyes that we're all so jealous of! iloveyou.gif
  • J KaceyJ Kacey Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    gpphotos wrote:
    cool, full lenth and a 3/4 shot...now lets see some yuri style headshots...and those yuri eyes that we're all so jealous of! iloveyou.gif

I've got alot to learn before I anywhere close to Yuri bowdown.gif .... I thought I did good finding a Russian Model
    Image 3
    204997283-L.jpg
  • thejumpmaster68thejumpmaster68 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Wow, very nice indeed.
    Will Marshall
    Canon EOS Rebel XT
    Canon EOS 30D
    Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    All gorgeous, but that last shot?!? Wow! Nicely done!
    edited October 10, 2007
    Thanks for the comments so far everyone.
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Very nice shots...I really like #2 & #3!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    I like 1 and 3! Nice!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited October 11, 2007
    Thanks Cuties and evoryware
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    I like them all. They are all very nice shots and poses.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Jerry
    Hello everyone,
    This is couple of recent picture's of a young aspiring model in my area. Her name is Zoya. Wondering what you folks think? This is attempt of finding a cute Russian model here in the States. Not up to Yuri image standards, but I think they turned out well.

Image 1
    206116712-L.jpg
    Priviet, Jerry!
    First, I am not that guy to criticize your photos.
    And what is more, I prefer Natural light photography if it is possible...
    But... You asked me. So... I will give you MY vision.
    Sorry, Jerry, I have not much time, so I will write c&c only to one of your three portraits...

At the first glance everything is OK with the light here. But. Lets look closely. We see cloudy, overcast day. As I wrote at our Mothly Assignment - the most perfect weather for portraits shooting. Perfect, because the light gives NO SHADOWS, coming from everywhere :-)
    Yes, such a weather brings not that MUCH light. But. We can use (As I do) higher ISO and/or tripod.

As I can see, you used additional light here.
    It
    1. Made a deep shadow under her chin.
    2. Made a shadow of her hair on her breast. (the photo is too small - this might be a mistake)
    3. Made the shadows of her boots.
    4. Brightened the left part of her face.

All these four things (taking into consideration the 'Natural' surroundings) make this photo UNNATURAL for me. And naturalness for me (in expression, in composition, in light) is a main part of the Beauty.

As for the pose - I dont like this right shoulder. As we know from the rules of human vision, the most bowed lines of the composition attract most attention. This right shoulder looks like an arrow and it was the first my eyes look at, when I see this photo. Is it bad? No, but for me women's beauty is much more with rounded lines so to say...
    What to do? If only you could see this before shooting, you could use her hair (from the right side of the head) to prolong the line of her right hand. Or (as a variant) bend her head to the right a bit, again hiding this 'arrow' with hair on a shoulder.
    The pose (except the above) is very beautiful.
    This diagonal adds quiet to relaxed model.
    I'd also ask her to turn her head to the left (3/4, so the end of the nose still is in cheek area) and look strait. Just like a variant.
    Spasibo, Jerry and again sorry,
    Yuri
    edited October 12, 2007
    Thanks Yuri,
    I think you misunderstood..... I never said you "criticize" the photo's.
    Just wondering what your opinion was....... The model wanted something a little less traditional for her portfolio. These shots were not meant to be "Natural" that's why I did not post any of them from this shoot in your assignment. Which I will be following..... I appreciate you taking the time to teach.

Sometimes it's nice to break the rules. There are many amazing photo's IMO dont follow them.
    Thanks again for you honest opition, it will make me a better photographer
    Jerry