Options

Folio Templates?

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited October 11, 2007 in Finishing School
Below I have included an image of a folio we purchased as part of my son's senior portrait package. It is a leather folio with a 10"x10" insert on each side. I am currently working on senior portraits for my daughter and others, and my wife has asked about the folio. I have located a vender who sells the folio itself. I could very easily paste photos in layers on top of a black BG in PSCS3 to mimic this, but would rather create a template(s) that I can use over and over. I would want the black layer on top along with any borders. The photos would be on seperate layers below. What I cannot figure out, is how to get the photos under neath the black to retain their original aspect ratios. If I grab a corner to resize, then I risk distorting the image.

So in its simplest form, my question is.....How do I make a 10x10 template for a folio like this?

206431086-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    thejumpmaster68thejumpmaster68 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    I bought PixelCreatorPro. You can check it out at http://www.pixelcreatorpro.com/

It is expensive but I sure like it. It is amazing how easy it is to work with multiple images.

Here is something that I did with it.

167945287-M.jpg
    Will Marshall
    Canon EOS Rebel XT
    Canon EOS 30D
    Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Suzette Allen over at smartshooter.com has a wealth of tutorials on creating album and folio templates in PS. I'm hesistant to single one out, each one covers a different aspect of the process. They are definitely worth checking out. Look under smArticles, search by author Suzette Allen.

If you're not already a member of smartshooter, you can sign up without fear. They don't spam, the only e-mail I receive from them is a notification of the newest articles that have been posted and a very occasional list of their classes.

edited for typo
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:
    Suzette Allen over at smartshooter.com has a wealth of tutorials on creating album and folio templates in PS. I'm hesistant to single one out, each one covers a different aspect of the process. They are definitely worth checking out. Look under smArticles, search by author Suzette Allen.

If you're not already a member of smartshooter, you can sign up without fear. They don't spam, the only e-mail I receive from them is a notification of the newest articles that have been posted and a very occasional list of their classes.

edited for typo

Thanks I will check them out....... In the mean time I have a start at least. I don't particularly like the rounded corners of the stroked layers, but I can fix that by expanding the canvas size before adding the photos to the BG.

Here it is...
    206452855-M.jpg
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    I bought PixelCreatorPro. You can check it out at http://www.pixelcreatorpro.com/

It is expensive but I sure like it. It is amazing how easy it is to work with multiple images.

Here is something that I did with it.

167945287-M.jpg

Cool! It works with some versions of PS Elements too. That's a plus for me. Thanks.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    To fix the "rounded corners" in your photoshop stoke, choose INNER rather than outer stroke and the corners will be square :-)

To resize, before you grab a corner, hold down the shift key and keep holding it while you resize, your photo will be resized in proportion (not skewed).

If you know where you want your photos, just set up your guide lines, make your background black. Put your photos on layers where you want them, and use the layer effects to define your stroke width (remembering using inside stroke). You can "save" your layer effect as a style and it will always be there for you -- just select it.

There are so many different ways to accomplish this. Feel free to send me a PM if you have more questions.