Options

question?

Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
edited March 4, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
so im starting to take pictures in RAW format on my canon. for some reason my computer doesnt want to recognise them when i try to upload from the computer. the only reason ive started is because ive finally got photoshop on my pc and thought id have more control over the final picture if i shot in raw, but its becoming a real PITA because i cant see them. why is this hapening to me? what did i do? can you help me? where did we come from, where are we going and how did we get here?

charlie
I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Guessing that you are on a PC, by "recognize", I assume that you mean that you can't see a thumbnail with Explorer. This is normal. If you can't see a thumbnail with Photoshop or Elements, you likely just need a new Camera Raw update.

Let us know the specifics of your working environment and we'll try to help!

Regards,
    Brad
  • Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    there is a chair and a desk and a computer, nest to my bed. thats my normal working environment. ok ok, im using xp. ive got a canon s50, i hook it up to the pc via usb cable. normally a screen pops up asking me what i want to do, i tell it to download the pics from the memory card in the camera. i then see the thumbnailed images and pic and choose which ones i actually want to put onto the computer. if the images were shot in RAW format, they dont show up as being on the memory card. if however i choose "show all pics and download manually" i can see the pictures are there but no thumbmais lof the images. i dont know if this is normal or not. if it is then i guess there is no problem, i just dont like not being able to see what pics im puting on the computer.

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Charlie,

• Windows explorer doesn't recognise raw files so won't display thumbnails.
    • Photoshop CS is shipped with an inclusive plug in that will recognise and process raw files.
    • PS7 also has a plug in that's avaialable but as a chargeable download.
    • Quite a few people use C1 Pro, it's apperently excellent but its not cheap :D
    • Failing that you'll need to use "Canon digtal Camera file viewer utility" which is part of "Zoombrowser" and should have been supplied with the camera.
    Hope that helps! :D
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    I have an external harddrive, and have about the same problem. With the My Pictures on my XP hard drive, the ones converted to jpg show up when I am browsing for a photo to put on smugmug, say, or send to someone. The folders show up with my pretty photos to show which folder has which.

With Maxtor, the ext hard drive, I can only deal with numbers, it is a PITA.

Does anyone know of a way around that?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    Charlie,

I had the same issue with the 20D. Because I've never used a cardreader, I just hooked up the USB cable and tried to upload as usual. No dice. As you point out, I could se the jpgs and upload them, but no joy with the RAW files. They were invisible ne_nau.gif I had the right ACR update and everything, but I could not see the RAW files in the card headscratch.gif

The way I finally solved the problem was to load Canon's EVU software and I now use it to upload pics from the camera/card. I just click cancel when the Windows pop up that asks what I want to do comes up and use EVU instead to do the transfer. It works great and I haven't had any problems since :D

Good luck,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    You could see the files, right? Just not the thumbnails?

I can open my CF card using Windows Explorer, and I see all the RAW files as little squares, they all end in .CR2 or whatever it is. And I can drag them over to new folders. I just can't actually see the actual images without the right RAW software.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Just think of your card reader and or cam as another drive.Open that drive and bingo,they are there.No thumbnails of images,just data.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    CB,

Unfortunately the native operating system can't display your RAW files, so as basically stated by everyone here, you'll need to use some other piece of software to view the thumbnails.

Besides the ones already mentioned (C1Pro, Canon's viewer, etc.), here are a couple of other inexpensive software possibilities:

1. Photoshop Elements 3. Reads RAW just fine and will automatically (just like you want:D ) bring up a list of the thumbnails that can be transferred (you can select which files you wish to transfer or transfer all). It gives you options on where to upload and some simple renaming. This program gives you the benefit of a pretty decent cataloging program. If you don't already have a system to organize and archive, this is a very cost effective way to track your photos. I have this software at home for primarily for my wife, but it reads my 20D RAW files perfectly. We have about 17,000 files cataloged. She edits with Elements, I edit with CS, but we both load our photos automatically with Elements.

2. My second suggestion is to try Adobe's free version of Photoshop Album. It cripples a few of the extra features, but I bet it will still see your RAW files and let you transfer them just fine. It doesn't cost anything to try ...

Regards,
    Brad