Options

Help with combining images

thejumpmaster68thejumpmaster68 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited October 11, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi all. I'm trying to combine a series of images and would like your feedback on my first attempt. Thanks for your help/advice in advance.

Will

206428767-M.jpg
Will Marshall
Canon EOS Rebel XT
Canon EOS 30D
Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L

Comments

• Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Hi all. I'm trying to combine a series of images and would like your feedback on my first attempt. Thanks for your help/advice in advance.

Will

206428767-M.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Will,

Not bad, but the image looks very much put together in a bad sort of way. The cut out of the person isn't that bad, but the whole perspective thing goes wrong when you look at the grass and the size of the person in each shot.

The very first man is very small compared to the second one. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th shots all look similar and are OK, and then the 6th, 7th and 8th shot seem to be too small again. I'm not sure if you can go back to that spot and shoot three images without moving the camera, one from behind the puddle, one at the puddle and one in front of the puddle, to try and capture the correct perspectives?

I would spend more time on getting the perspectives correct with the current images and once that is sorted out, spend time of cutting out the original images again and putting them together with the new perspective in mind.

Cheers/Peter
    [/FONT]
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    3 additional ideas:

1) The final shot looks like the opacity is still slightly reduced. I think for a time-series, the last image should be completely opaque...as if it's the current point in time.

2) Compositionally, (and I don't claim to be an expert) I would prefer to have room in front of the last image to give him room to keep going - since I am looking at a point in time, I'd like to be able to anticipate his next move...
    ...that said...
    It may be your intention to have his next move be off the page and out of my view - which is a totally valid (and maybe more desireable) feeling - in which case, I would argue that the first image of him approaching the puddle be closer to the back corner - with less open space - to give the feeling that this sequence came into, and is now going out of, the observer's field of view.

3) And lastly, I understand the problem, but the third from the last photograph, you've masked away the top of his head...it bothers me. I realize you're trying not to cover the action behind him, but you need to find another way. Create more room by raising the background, or widening the arc of his path...I'm not sure what's right - but I'm sure the 'scalping' catches my eye in a bad way.

- Gary
  • Options
    thejumpmaster68thejumpmaster68 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    3 additional ideas:

1) The final shot looks like the opacity is still slightly reduced. I think for a time-series, the last image should be completely opaque...as if it's the current point in time.

2) Compositionally, (and I don't claim to be an expert) I would prefer to have room in front of the last image to give him room to keep going - since I am looking at a point in time, I'd like to be able to anticipate his next move...
    ...that said...
    It may be your intention to have his next move be off the page and out of my view - which is a totally valid (and maybe more desireable) feeling - in which case, I would argue that the first image of him approaching the puddle be closer to the back corner - with less open space - to give the feeling that this sequence came into, and is now going out of, the observer's field of view.

3) And lastly, I understand the problem, but the third from the last photograph, you've masked away the top of his head...it bothers me. I realize you're trying not to cover the action behind him, but you need to find another way. Create more room by raising the background, or widening the arc of his path...I'm not sure what's right - but I'm sure the 'scalping' catches my eye in a bad way.

- Gary

Thanks so much for the replies. I new I had some work to do but I just wasn't sure where to focus my efforts. Let me get back to work and see what I can do. Thanks again.
    Will Marshall
    Canon EOS Rebel XT
    Canon EOS 30D
    Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L