LPS #14 -- One more time

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited October 13, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just returned from a trip to "ye olde drawing board" with a few different candidates for "craggy".

Your input is welcome! Thanks!!!

#1 - Four Little Nuts (muted colors)
206616199-L.jpg

#2 - Four Little Nuts (a bit more saturated)
206615476-L.jpg

#3 The Old Red Door
206615587-L.jpg

#4 Chipped Paint & Rust
206615863-L.jpg

Comments

• PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Put me down for the Old Red Door! thumb.gif

paul
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Linda, this is some nice stuff! They all have a delicacy about the color, and they display fragility to me. I like the higher saturation of your "Four Little Nuts," but the crop of the second one leaves the dark triangle on the bottom, which is distracting. If you cropped that out, it would be my favorite.

I have to also note that I'm having a hard time generally seeing how to interpret the "craggy" side of the theme, so I have a hard time opining about how it fits the them... It's just not as easy as looking up the definition!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    I like #s 2,3 , I like this style quite a bit.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Old Red Door! clap.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Put me down for the Old Red Door! thumb.gif

paul

Will do! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, Paul! iloveyou.gif
    edited October 11, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Linda, this is some nice stuff! They all have a delicacy about the color, and they display fragility to me. I like the higher saturation of your "Four Little Nuts," but the crop of the second one leaves the dark triangle on the bottom, which is distracting. If you cropped that out, it would be my favorite.

I have to also note that I'm having a hard time generally seeing how to interpret the "craggy" side of the theme, so I have a hard time opining about how it fits the them... It's just not as easy as looking up the definition!

Thanks! :D

I appreciate you pointing out that black triangle in the saturated Four Little Nuts. After you mentioned it, I took a look at the photo again and wondered how the hell did I miss THAT? rolleyes1.gif

Regarding the "craggy" side of the theme: I've always associated that term with mountain peaks. Any "mountains" in my area have been too worn down by erosion to be considered "craggy" (and not worn down enough to be considered "smooth" :patch ) so I was stuck until I looked the term up and this is what I found:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/craggy
    crag·gy (krabreve.gifgprime.gifemacr.gif)
    adj. crag·gi·er, crag·gi·est 1. Having crags: craggy terrain.
    2. Rugged and uneven: a craggy face.

Adj.1.craggy - having hills and crags; "hilly terrain" cragged, hilly, mountainous rough, unsmooth - having or caused by an irregular surface; "trees with rough bark"; "rough ground"; "rough skin"; "rough blankets"; "his unsmooth face"

But will a judge see it that way? Who knows! ne_nau.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Hi Linda,

I really like #2 and #3. For #2 I agree with cropping some from the right. With #3, I would burn in some at the bottom and especially bottom right, to bring the tones down and keep the eye in the frame, and also to pull a little more of the color in there.

Beautiful shots!
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited October 11, 2007
    I like #s 2,3 , I like this style quite a bit.

Spassiboh! :D
    edited October 11, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Old Red Door! clap.gif

Thanks!! :D
    edited October 11, 2007
    Hi Linda,

I really like #2 and #3. For #2 I agree with cropping some from the right. With #3, I would burn in some at the bottom and especially bottom right, to bring the tones down and keep the eye in the frame, and also to pull a little more of the color in there.

Beautiful shots!
    Emily

Thanks, Emily! I will play around with the burning as you suggested on #3. thumb.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    1 more for the Old Red Door!
    thumb.gif
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Linda...Love the Old Red Door...the only thing that distracts me...the bright reddish line on the left side...I would burn a little saturation on the edges of the chipped paint to make them stand out more....
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    My $0.02, I prefer the first shot over the old red door. The oxidation on the right side is very cool. The hole is a lot less interesting. Can you reshoot this? I would go for a macro shot of the greenish oxidation, real close in. To my mind this theme is all about texture, so I don't want to be distracted.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Crazy thing -- I actually like #4 the most - In #3 the master lock pulls me away from the craggy area of the photo. Please do not base my one small opinin on how you choose, but I thought I would voice it.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Linda,

I really like your entry and it definitely says craggy to me. The blue in the master lock does draw my eye a little, but not too badly with all the wonderful textures there. I suppose you could tone down the blue a bit to make it less of an issue.

Still, I love this image!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Patina is cool. I am also for that old red door.
    Growing with Dgrin

• drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    In case you didn't have enough feedback Linda (rolleyes1.gif), I like 2 through 4 a lot, and lean toward the "red" door for sure. Though being a macro guy, I'd like to see some close in shots of the funky wood, metal & paint.

Can you send some of that stuff out to Oregon for me to play with? :D Do you have some salt air in New Hope?

No need to repeat the good suggestions you've already recieved, so Good Luck!

Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

• indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Hey Linda! Nice door!

Jesse
    edited October 13, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    thumb.gif

Thanks! :D
    edited October 13, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Linda...Love the Old Red Door...the only thing that distracts me...the bright reddish line on the left side...I would burn a little saturation on the edges of the chipped paint to make them stand out more....
    Linda,
    I really like your entry and it definitely says craggy to me. The blue in the master lock does draw my eye a little, but not too badly with all the wonderful textures there. I suppose you could tone down the blue a bit to make it less of an issue.

Still, I love this image!

Emily

Thanks for your suggestions!!! thumb.gif I burned in some more contrast on the chipped paint and added a vignette to (hopefully) lead the eye more toward the chipped paint and wood. We'll see what happens! I just don't want to obsess too much over this...Laughing.gif.
    edited October 13, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    My $0.02, I prefer the first shot over the old red door. The oxidation on the right side is very cool. The hole is a lot less interesting. Can you reshoot this? I would go for a macro shot of the greenish oxidation, real close in. To my mind this theme is all about texture, so I don't want to be distracted.

Thanks so very much for your comment. :D I tried shooting that oxidation again today and I was not able to get close enough to it to come up with anything worth keeping. ne_nau.gif But I did get some other cool shots, which I'll be adding to a new gallery soon.
    edited October 13, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    Crazy thing -- I actually like #4 the most - In #3 the master lock pulls me away from the craggy area of the photo. Please do not base my one small opinin on how you choose, but I thought I would voice it.
    Thanks, Sean!!! :D
    edited October 13, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    Patina is cool. I am also for that old red door.
    Thanks!! :D
    edited October 13, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    In case you didn't have enough feedback Linda (rolleyes1.gif), I like 2 through 4 a lot, and lean toward the "red" door for sure. Though being a macro guy, I'd like to see some close in shots of the funky wood, metal & paint.

Can you send some of that stuff out to Oregon for me to play with? :D Do you have some salt air in New Hope?

No need to repeat the good suggestions you've already recieved, so Good Luck!

Dane

Thanks for your comments, Dane.

Nope, no salt air over here in New Hope -- we're too far inland. rolleyes1.gif Acid rain perhaps? headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif

Those photos are of old trains that are sitting behind our restored Victorian-era train station in New Hope. There are several old locomotives that are sitting around waiting for someone to restore them.
    edited October 13, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Hey Linda! Nice door!

Jesse
    Thanks, Jesse! :D