My first pano: overlooking Waterton, Alberta

TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
edited October 11, 2007 in Landscapes
Here's my first attempt at a pano, taken while on the 2007 Shootout. This was taken from an overlook named Bear Hump. The climb was about 900 feet over 1.5 miles. It was a toughie, but worth the view. This was done handheld, rotating my hips.

The original is 11574x2188 and used 16 images to create. Those proportions would produce a really weird looking print I think, but it was cool to capture the expansiveness of the mountains and lake.

206664866-L-1.jpg

Click here to see the full-size image (6.8MB).
Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen

Comments

• zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Wow! Great first pano! Too bad this was from before the "DevSpeedPano"™ :D might have made it a bit easier lol3.gif
    Travis
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Wow! Great first pano! Too bad this was from before the "DevSpeedPano"™ :D might have made it a bit easier lol3.gif

I must learn this technique. I followed the "Marc Muench Bridge Is Your Friend" method to make this one. If it wasn't for the fact I was doing this on a Mac Mini, it's really fast and as accurate as reported.
    Terrence

My photos

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    16 images!! :wow

I didn't hike up there so I'm glad you took the shots to share here. I'm sure it was 100,000x more impressive in real life as that's how it always is. The one bad thing about posting panos is that we can't see 'em really big. :\

Devpanos are pretty simple. Set your drive to burst mode and hold the shutter down while you spin in a circle. :giggle
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Devpanos are pretty simple. Set your drive to burst mode and hold the shutter down while you spin in a circle. :giggle

That is hernia belt busting hilarious! Gotta try a few of those on the new 40D!

And...you're right. The live view was absolutely stunning.

I edited the OP with a link to the full-size image. That sucker is biiiig.
    Terrence

My photos

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    That is a stunning example - especially as your first try at one. I've attempted to do a couple, but didn't know what I was doing. Looking forward to finishing up the processing on wedding/engagement shoots so I can start working on my Glacier photos.