RAW, DNG what is actually uploaded? Smugmug as backup?

dardensdardens Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited December 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I apologize if this is a FAQ. Where are the technical docs on what smugmug does with our uploaded originals?

I ask because it appears that smugmug offers a serious photo backup option due to redundant copies of uploads on multiple Amazon S3 + internal smugmug servers.

But what is actually stored, and what is actually delivered in the event we order DVDs from smugmug due to asteroid strike -->> ?

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    dardens wrote:
    I apologize if this is a FAQ. Where are the technical docs on what smugmug does with our uploaded originals?

I ask because it appears that smugmug offers a serious photo backup option due to redundant copies of uploads on multiple Amazon S3 + internal smugmug servers.

But what is actually stored, and what is actually delivered in the event we order DVDs from smugmug due to asteroid strike -->> ?
    See this page. Your original is not altered in any way. Upon upload Smug
    creates the sizes for display, thumbs, small, medium and large.

Only display files are watermarked if they are larger then 800 on the
    longest side I believe.

You original is use for printing.

This help?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • dardensdardens Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    This help?

Thanks Allen. It still is not clear what smugmug does with e.g., Canon .CR2 Camera Raw files. I just did a test gallery, loaded a single .CR2 8 megapixel image here

http://dardens.smugmug.com/gallery/3628860/1/206719407

The pic info shows it is a .JPG - of the correct XY size. I do not know who or how the RAW CR2 -> JPG conversion was done. Was it PictureSync on my MacPro or ...?

What I think this tells us is that smugmug is not intended for archiving Camera Raw images. For that we can use Amazon S3 directly, distant friends for our DVD backups etc.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    dardens wrote:
    Thanks Allen. It still is not clear what smugmug does with e.g., Canon .CR2 Camera Raw files. I just did a test gallery, loaded a single .CR2 8 megapixel image here

http://dardens.smugmug.com/gallery/3628860/1/206719407

The pic info shows it is a .JPG - of the correct XY size. I do not know who or how the RAW CR2 -> JPG conversion was done. Was it PictureSync on my MacPro or ...?

What I think this tells us is that smugmug is not intended for archiving Camera Raw images. For that we can use Amazon S3 directly, distant friends for our DVD backups etc.
    That shot must have been converted prior to uploading. Our uploaders will give you an error if the file isn't a jpg, gif, or png.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited October 11, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    ...Our uploaders will give you an error
    Thanks Mike - exactly what I needed to know.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    dardens wrote:
    What I think this tells us is that smugmug is not intended for archiving Camera Raw images.

That is correct. No RAW or TIFF uploads. This is something that has been asked for by many of us a few times.
    edited October 11, 2007
    ...This is something that has been asked for by many of us a few times.
    I'll speculate that a poll of the pro members would show a majority would appreciate the lossless option. For Smugmug the key question is likely "how much will you pay?"

Personally, I will pay a premium -- mostly for the workflow convenience, as I still need to control my own primary backup.

Smugmug wouldn't want to insert their service between a camera raw matrix and image output. I wonder how many members would be interested in a new premium upload format = DNG incl. fullsize preview? I.e., where Smugmug stores the DNG but only processes the fullsize preview. And of course delivers the DNGs via such as existing DVD service.
  • Ian SpencerIan Spencer Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 27, 2007
    dardens wrote:
    Smugmug wouldn't want to insert their service between a camera raw matrix and image output. I wonder how many members would be interested in a new premium upload format = DNG incl. fullsize preview? I.e., where Smugmug stores the DNG but only processes the fullsize preview. And of course delivers the DNGs via such as existing DVD service.

I have just used the Ligtroom Smugmug plugin and it would be fantastic if I could upload a JPG with the DNG which would just turn Smugmug into a complete backup solution. Later DNG only could be implimented in the far future. I would pay a lot more.