Options

Israel & Petra

traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
edited October 20, 2007 in Journeys
I finally got around to processing a bunch of shots from this past summer when I traveled with my family to Israel and for a day to Petra in Jordan. Here are a few teasers with a link to my favorite (so far) 20 shots. There is also a more extensive gallery under "TRAVEL" for those inclined to take a more detailed tour through Israel and Petra.

Link to Top 20 - http://www.kt.smugmug.com/gallery/3628426#P-1-15

Hope you enjoy...

The Bahai Temple in Haifa, Israel - world headquarters of the Bahai Faith
206686976-L.jpg

Painted Electrical Box in Zefat (also known as Safed) - perhaps the premier artist colony in Israel.
206688367-L.jpg

First view of the Treasury Building carved out of the rock wall at Ancient Petra in Jordan. For those unfamiliar, Petra was the site of the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade climax scenes and was filmed at least in part on location. Petra is considered one of the modern wonders of the world.
206689314-L.jpg

Jordanian Honor Guard at Petra - these guards are almost certainly Bedouin as Palestinians are rarely seen in the southern half of Jordan - the desert that borders Israel.
206694249-L.jpg

If you want more, holler and I'll be glad to post more extensively on the trip...

Regards..KT
Beam me outta here!:winkKT

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 13, 2007
    Awesome. Best pictorial of Israel I've ever seen, Keith. I looked at every one of your pictures in your public Israel 2007 galleries. You had no worries venturing into Jordan?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see more extensive commentary on the trip. You evidently posted at an unfortunate time because everybody is still going gaga over the Glacier shootout threads (and rightfully so of course.)

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2007
    Hey, Joel...
    Thanks for the kind words. Believe it or not, in this endeavor, if you keep taking enough shots, you actually do start to get better. I think my quotient of keepers definitely increased on this trip. And I do appreciate what a shootout or meet and greet can do to us orphan threads rolleyes1.gif

Petra was a piece of luck. It was not on our itinerary, but my brother in law, who is one of the senior guides in Israel, had no fears about Petra and said it was possible to arrange on a free day we had planned in Eilat (Petra is about a two hour trip from Eilat in Southern Israel). I felt that it was something that should not be missed given we actually had a chance to go and I don't regret the trip one bit - it was spectacular. Mostly it is considered fairly safe as the bedouin control southern Jordan and there are few, if any Palestinians in the area - not true of northern Jordan however. Of course, about two weeks after we got back, we understood that a travel warning was put out to Israeli citizens about Petra given specific intelligence regarding Hezbollah plans to kidnap israeli tourists. So perhaps we were lucky/naive. But to anyone who has a chance to go - it may be hot but it is an amazing sight.

Regards..Keith
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Spectacular - really beautiful scenes, incredibly well captured.

ann
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Very nice. I would so love to go there some day. thumb.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    Thank you Ann and CW -
    believe it or not, i haven't quite yet finished processing. There are at least a couple of more winners in the last two folders...iloveyou.gif

Regards...Keith
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    traunerk wrote:
    If you want more, holler and I'll be glad to post more extensively on the trip...
    HOLLER! deal.gif More please!
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    That first picture looks almost ethereal. I would personally love to see more of your trip. :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose