HS Volleyball

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited October 11, 2007 in Sports
I have been experimenting with different types of shots with my 85 mm 1.8 and the use of flash. I used bounced lighting, ISO 800, and shutterspeed 400-500 for these.

This looks like simese twins are playing.

206686943-M-1.jpg

206686149-M.jpg

206685903-M.jpg

206686165-M.jpg

Straight on Flash for next one Ughhh
206688279-M.jpg

206685485-M.jpg

206685458-M.jpg

No flash in A mode set at 1.8 ISO 1600

206685253-M.jpg

206684936-M.jpg

206688157-M.jpg

206688092-M.jpg

206687912-M.jpg

206687820-M.jpg

206687980-M.jpg

Comments

• BWBBWB Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2007
    Shots 3 and 7 are my favs. The tighter the shot the better, IMHO. Here in IL they do not allow flash for prep sports and even Northwestern U among other D1 schools has told photogs to put their flash units away. Volleyball is one of the hardest sports to shoot I would say is second only to gymnastics. At least in volleyball you have more than one chance at getting a shot of a particular athlete!
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Thanks for sharing the bounce flash photos. I had considered it during last year's basketball/cheerleading season at our school but never got around to it. It gives me hope that I can get some decent speeds on my f2.4 lens at ISO800.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Basketball, cheer, volleyball... I've shot them all indoor. I always feel like I'm wanting a bit more. And there's always the "other people's shots look so good" syndrome, which I'm suffering from right now looking at some of these, john68!
    I just got my off-camera flash set-up going, but so far I've only had a chance to shoot [thread=72617]volleyball[/thread]. I'm looking forward to basketball and cheerleading.

You know, I tried bouncing the flash using an on-camera Canon 580EX and a f/2.8 lens, and the difference between flash & no-flash was quite subtle. Since the flash takes a few seconds to recycle, and I have to swivel it to do portrait orientation, I remember just deciding to go without it. I might
    try bouncing the off-camera strobes though... Lots to try. I'd love to try an 85mm prime too!
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    Basketball, cheer, volleyball... I've shot them all indoor. I always feel like I'm wanting a bit more. And there's always the "other people's shots look so good" syndrome, which I'm suffering from right now looking at some of these, john68!
    I just got my off-camera flash set-up going, but so far I've only had a chance to shoot [thread=72617]volleyball[/thread]. I'm looking forward to basketball and cheerleading.

You know, I tried bouncing the flash using an on-camera Canon 580EX and a f/2.8 lens, and the difference between flash & no-flash was quite subtle. Since the flash takes a few seconds to recycle, and I have to swivel it to do portrait orientation, I remember just deciding to go without it. I might
    try bouncing the off-camera strobes though... Lots to try. I'd love to try an 85mm prime too!

Nimai,
    I was also reading your thread about flash in the gym - what ISO are you using while struggling with flash?

And also, I admire your work - I've admired it for a long time - I also shoot High Schoolers and our styles are very similar. The students love pictures of themselves "doing their thing."

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    BWB wrote:
    Shots 3 and 7 are my favs. The tighter the shot the better, IMHO. Here in IL they do not allow flash for prep sports and even Northwestern U among other D1 schools has told photogs to put their flash units away. Volleyball is one of the hardest sports to shoot I would say is second only to gymnastics. At least in volleyball you have more than one chance at getting a shot of a particular athlete!

The only time I have been told to not shoot falsh was when I was right by the bench and the floor. I definetely turn it off when I am kneeling on the floor. If I use my flash, I am up in the stands. Usually one side of the gym, the one with the benches, is folded up so I clime on top of that. If I am on the floor, I will stand behind the benches or at the end of the floors. With the flash bouncing up, the flash is not as noticed by the players.

The differeces between straight on and bounce are subtle, but noticeable. No red eye and shadows being the biggest, and the players faces look more natural. I can get decent shots at ISO 400, but it makes the background look dark. I find ISO 800 is a nice blend of isolating the players, but doesn't make the gym look like a dungeon.

Also, if you get a shutterspeed reading in A mode non flash, you can then go to S mode and set that shutterspeed. In between cycles, you can still take pictures and the exposure will be decent.