Options

Moving from LightRoom to Bridge/CS3

2»

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    Using the fact that CS3 is so much better than CS2 and therefore must be good is like saying a crap from a poodle is smaller than the crap from a german shepherd and therefore it must smell okay eek7.gif

Honestly though, reading a 10MP RAW image off the disc and rendering it is going to take a while no matter how good the code is. One of the fundamental differeneces between Lighroom and a file browser is that Lightroom keeps a prerendered cache of recently viewed images so, once the cache is built, you can view 10MP RAWs at 2MP JPEG speeds.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    Using the fact that CS3 is so much better than CS2 and therefore must be good is like saying a crap from a poodle is smaller than the crap from a german shepherd and therefore it must smell okay eek7.gif
    I don't know. I don't smell crap!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Honestly though, reading a 10MP RAW image off the disc and rendering it is going to take a while no matter how good the code is. One of the fundamental differeneces between Lighroom and a file browser is that Lightroom keeps a prerendered cache of recently viewed images so, once the cache is built, you can view 10MP RAWs at 2MP JPEG speeds.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought Bridge cached thumbs, too? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Br doesn't pre-render files.
    When you browase to a folder in Br, it references the XML data in said folder (or wherever you store your XML) and it 'looks' at the image like it's doing it for the first time.

I'm not sure, but I think Br caches each image as long as the application is running. As soon as you quit or exit. It dumps this cache.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    schmoo wrote:

Lightroom caches a large enough version of each image to generate a full screen preview which means you can run through a folder white balance, adjusting exposure, and contrast really quickly. It only needs to go to the orginal RAW when you zoom into actual pixels.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Lightroom caches a large enough version of each image to generate a full screen preview which means you can run through a folder white balance, adjusting exposure, and contrast really quickly. It only needs to go to the orginal RAW when you zoom into actual pixels.

Now if I can just figure out what all those sliders do... ne_nau.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Now if I can just figure out what all those sliders do... ne_nau.gif
    Once you figure them out. Lr is so cool! I promise it get's easier. When I first used Lr. I HATED it. Now I have no idea how I would get on w/o it.

-Jon
  • Options
    NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    If you do any siginificant amout of photo processing, you owe it to yourself to use a RAID for your primary drive. These days you can install a 1TB RAID 0 in your computer for not much over $250. In terms of bang for the buck, that's the best deal going in computer upgrades.

RAID 0 ain't raid. R = redundant. RAID 0 isn't redundant. RAID 0 is only striping. deal.gif If you want speed and protection, you need RAID 0 + 1.
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2007
    NavyMoose wrote:
    RAID 0 ain't raid. R = redundant. RAID 0 isn't redundant. RAID 0 is only striping. deal.gif If you want speed and protection, you need RAID 0 + 1.

For many of the reasons pointed out in this thread, RAID 1 is not a substitue for backups. If you are careful about backing up your working data to an offline or remote drive, all a RAID 1 does for you is save you the time of a restore when your working drive goes south.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Well after spending more time in Lightroom, I keep coming back to this thread to try and figure out the best way to do some things like the sidecar or not to sidecar the XMP info.

Anyone got any comments? The challenge I am having right now is that I want to do keywording in LR and do "Green eye" removal of the dog pictures in Photoshop and keep everything in sync.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    Well after spending more time in Lightroom, I keep coming back to this thread to try and figure out the best way to do some things like the sidecar or not to sidecar the XMP info.

Anyone got any comments? The challenge I am having right now is that I want to do keywording in LR and do "Green eye" removal of the dog pictures in Photoshop and keep everything in sync.

If you need the info/changes to be available to bridge automatically, the you want to check the "auto-save to XMP" box. I think 1.3 or 1.3.1 finally fixed the performance issues associated with this.

I don't use Bridge at all so it's not an issue for me.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    If you need the info/changes to be available to bridge automatically, the you want to check the "auto-save to XMP" box. I think 1.3 or 1.3.1 finally fixed the performance issues associated with this.

I don't use Bridge at all so it's not an issue for me.

Thanks. I am not using Bridge either but notice that when I do edits in PhotoShop CS3 I am losing keywords (but it could just as easily be operator error).

Next question, now that I checked it, is there a way to make sure that the change took place? In other words can I search for the XMP files?headscratch.gif
    -=Bradford

• Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Thanks. I am not using Bridge either but notice that when I do edits in PhotoShop CS3 I am losing keywords (but it could just as easily be operator error).

Next question, now that I checked it, is there a way to make sure that the change took place? In other words can I search for the XMP files?headscratch.gif

Yes, the .xmp files should be located in the same directory as the images.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Thanks, I will check that out tonight.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Once you have finished your initial processing changes in LR, all you have to do is export. I export them as jpeg, and keep them in a folder with the original raw files, the folder called Export. So each Raw folder by date and subject has inside an exportdate and subject, that way I have jpeg to work with, and I keep the original files clear, as LR uses non destructive processing. It keeps the originals original, you can always revert to the initial NEF (Nikon) file.

I then burn a DVD of the originals and the export folder with it. I might keep the export folder on my computer for a while, till I am done working with it on short time, but I do have original RAW files and a JPEG worked on version.

I use LR and photoshop... never use bridge.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Yes, the .xmp files should be located in the same directory as the images.

Is there a different location/extension in Mac world?ne_nau.gif I looked and I did a spotlight search.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Because .xmp files are usually hidden. I don't know which OS your running, but the following should sort you out:

To view all the hidden files in finder. Open terminal and type in the following command:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE 
       killall Finder 

Wow. Looks like mac has all those ugly files that windows has too. They just make it tougher to see them.

To hide all the hidden files again (make Finder act the way it did before):
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE 
       killall Finder

*BTW, all you did was change false to true or vice versa.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Because .xmp files are usually hidden. I don't know which OS your running, but the following should sort you out:

Wow. Looks like mac has all those ugly files that windows has too. They just make it tougher to see them.

headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

OS X does not hide .xmp files by default.

It's just that the XMP files may not be generated -- if you use Lightroom you need to tell it to write to XMP files (instead of to its built in database), and if you're using Bridge there's an explicit setting for it to use the xmp sidecar files instead of storing the information in the cache. Not exactly sure of the setting though... I use LR for this mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Maybe this was a setting I changed a while back and don't remember it. All my .xmp files are hidden though. I can see them in Br. But not in Windows Explorer.

Oh well, it's not that thenmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Okay. So I tried the Show Hidden Files, nothing visible.

So I did a search/spotlight for xmp - nothing

So I here is the way I have stuff set in LR 1.3.1
    239689843-M.png
    and I created a few new image edits to make sure that it might need to be updated. Does it only take effect on catalog creation?
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    I'm guessing a bit here. But I'm pretty sure you can tell bridge to either write the .xmp files in the same folder as the images are stored or you can have one central location where all your .xmp files save themselves.

Anyone know about this on a Mac?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm guessing a bit here. But I'm pretty sure you can tell bridge to either write the .xmp files in the same folder as the images are stored or you can have one central location where all your .xmp files save themselves.

Anyone know about this on a Mac?

Yeah. Why would it be any different? Answer: no reason! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    Just making sure :D
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    It's just that the XMP files may not be generated -- if you use Lightroom you need to tell it to write to XMP files (instead of to its built in database), and if you're using Bridge there's an explicit setting for it to use the xmp sidecar files instead of storing the information in the cache. Not exactly sure of the setting though... I use LR for this mwink.gif

I'll have to follow this thread. I set my XMP files to being local in the folder (going back several versions) because if you used the 'file browser' and moved the image file (like .CR2) to took the associated XMP with it. Could shuffle images around all day long and retain the link.

But it seems if you commit to LR and its database of XMP data, you can't switch back and forth between LR to manage you images and using Bridge or File Manager / Finder. You would hose either Lightroom's tracking of the images or break the link between the image file and the XMP sidecar. Is this correct?
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2008
    Okay so I did a search again, still can't find any. ne_nau.gif Maybe the catalog has to be started that way?
    -=Bradford