Options

Stats Question: How can I make it useful?

nowherenowhere Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited October 11, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

Just signed up for SM! I love it so far except for a couple things that aren't working for me. One of them is that I can't tell from the stats if anyone is looking at my stuff. I have a couple galleries for a large group of clients to view and buy prints/downloads. But in setting these up, I had to view them several times to validate changes, make sure things look ok etc. Each time I view them, I rack up 234 thumbnail hits so the hit count on my thumbnails is huge but it is almost all ME! Same thing goes for the larger formats but with smaller numbers. Unless I write down the last hit count I don't know whether the stats are just me or customers. Also, if I click on the stat graph, it brings up a page that has all the thumbnails on it and this seems to count in the stats too. I check the number on the graph before clicking it and after and it was different.

I would love to filter out of the stats any hits from the three IP addresses from which I work so the data is pure external hits. Is there something I am missing that already gives me this information?

Anyway, help me better use the stats please!

Thanks
Eric
www.ericmorganphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    nowhere wrote:
    Hi,

Just signed up for SM! I love it so far except for a couple things that aren't working for me. One of them is that I can't tell from the stats if anyone is looking at my stuff. I have a couple galleries for a large group of clients to view and buy prints/downloads. But in setting these up, I had to view them several times to validate changes, make sure things look ok etc. Each time I view them, I rack up 234 thumbnail hits so the hit count on my thumbnails is huge but it is almost all ME! Same thing goes for the larger formats but with smaller numbers. Unless I write down the last hit count I don't know whether the stats are just me or customers. Also, if I click on the stat graph, it brings up a page that has all the thumbnails on it and this seems to count in the stats too. I check the number on the graph before clicking it and after and it was different.

I would love to filter out of the stats any hits from the three IP addresses from which I work so the data is pure external hits. Is there something I am missing that already gives me this information?

Anyway, help me better use the stats please!

Thanks
    Eric
    www.ericmorganphoto.com
    Have you seen Statcounter? Look here.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Hey Allen,

Thanks for the quick replies! Actually anything.smugmug.com is blocked by our firewall. Cname lets me access my site ok. I will have to wait to get home to try Statcounter but as I understand, it costs more yah?

Thanks,
    Eric
    www.ericmorganphoto.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    nowhere wrote:
    ... try Statcounter but as I understand, it costs more yah?

Thanks,
    Eric
    www.ericmorganphoto.com
    It's FREE! With up to 500 page hits now. Only costs if you sign up for a higher level.

... and you can have it not record your own hits.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Ok sounds great. I will give it a try. THANKS!

Eric
    www.ericmorganphoto.com