Options

Saving pictures JPEG,TIFF????

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited October 18, 2007 in Technique
I read that it isn't a good idea to re-edit pictures saved as JPEG.
If so, should one shoot JPEG et save it as TIFF to edit and save it back to JPEG.

Is this a real big deal with resolution??

BP:scratch :scratch :scratch
:photo

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    As I understand it, a jpeg is re-compressed every time you save it.

Since compression means discarding information, you degrade the jpeg with each Save.

TIFFS are uncompressed, and so do not lose information when saved. So if you expect to continually open and resave your piccies, TIFF is a better format.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 11, 2007
    jpgs are for finished, fully edited images that will not be re-edited or re-saved in the future.

Psd's , Tiffs, are better for storing data for further editing as they are loss-less storage, unlike jpgs which discard information with every save.

The truth is that if you save at a level 10 quality, and edit an image briefly, and then re-save it you will not be able to see the degradation. But with a lesser quality file, say level 2 quality, you cannot be so cavalier.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    If your camera is capable of shooting raw then...shoot in raw and edit save the finished file as a jpg ready for printing.... raw converters do not actually change the raw file but each time it is opened in PS will open in the last edited version...Tiffs are just toooooo big for saveing unless there is a specific need for the tiff and I also save in the largest jpg size offered by PSCS (#12) those are quite manageable...........

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    If your camera is capable of shooting raw then...shoot in raw and edit save the finished file as a jpg ready for printing.... raw converters do not actually change the raw file but each time it is opened in PS will open in the last edited version...Tiffs are just toooooo big for saveing unless there is a specific need for the tiff and I also save in the largest jpg size offered by PSCS (#12) those are quite manageable...........

Good Luck

I am shooting with the Canon 30 D and never tried RAW, but maybe I should

Thanks
    :photo
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I just went thru all this jpeg, tiff stuff and went to shooting Raw. I was afraid to do it since it was new to me. I love Raw.

I purchased CS3 and editing Raw is so dang easy.

Only thing is I will have to buy some more memory cards. Raw takes up space.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2007
    I only ever save a handful of photos from each shoot, and storage is cheap, so I not only save my raws, I save important steps of my Photoshop work as .psd's (which are also lossless.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2007
    So when you save your photoshop work to psd's you can then go back and re-edit them if needed---right?

Also, you change them over to jpeg to print--right?

You didn't say how you save your Raw. How do you?
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    So when you save your photoshop work to psd's you can then go back and re-edit them if needed---right?

Also, you change them over to jpeg to print--right?

You didn't say how you save your Raw. How do you?
    Correct. I don't have a good eye for post processing, so I go back numerous times and try different things.

I don't print a lot. But I do save them as jpegs in order to send them to smugmug. If I want to print, yes, I make them jpegs.

For each shooting event, I create a folder. Into that folder I drag the RAW files I want to save. Usually I create a sub-folder for all my edited versions of each shot. I'm the creative type, so I name that sub-folder "Edited Shots." :D
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2007
    Ha---I'm a creative person to--I create subfolders titled Edited shots.

You have given me the information that I needed and very easy to understand. Thank-you!

Now I know a easy way to do it. I was saving into tiff and they take a lot of space and I was told I could print in tiff, but it didn't work for me.

~~~~Mary
  • Options
    Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    My workflow goes RAW to TIFF to JPEG. As you said you don't want to keep editing a jpeg.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    Ok....

1. Raw to tiff after editing--is this right?
    2. Raw to psd if you want to do some more editing later.
    3. Raw to tiff and then if want to print change to jpeg.
    4. Did I miss something?

---Mary
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    I don't bother with TIFF.

But there's nothing wrong with your approach.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I don't bother with TIFF.

But there's nothing wrong with your approach.

Ok---thanks.

----Mary