Beach sillouette(I think thats how it's spelled)

Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited October 12, 2007 in People
We went to Lake Tahoe last week and took some shots from one of the beaches. I had my wife take this one of my son and I. It was about 15 min before sunset. C&C welcome! Thanks for looking!

IMG_2331copy.jpg

Comments

• Kevin GKevin G Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Deadeye008 wrote:
    We went to Lake Tahoe last week and took some shots from one of the beaches. I had my wife take this one of my son and I. It was about 15 min before sunset. C&C welcome! Thanks for looking!

IMG_2331copy.jpg

I like. Great job with the composition.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    She did a great job!!

Critique .....well I can say this confident I won't be disputed because I read it in the fixes every month in pop photo. Next time- try to avoid having the horizon split the photo in the center. It will be more interesting if they meet at the upper or lower third of the frame. Also, the horizon appears to be slightly tilted and ought to be straightened.

Comment; excellent exposure for such a shot and I really like the shadows reaching back to the wide angle lens!! If I asked my wife to do that...well...she would have had to be in the photo because she is so intimidated by buttons!!! Tell her it's outstanding and print up a 16x20!!!
  • Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    She did a great job!!

Critique .....well I can say this confident I won't be disputed because I read it in the fixes every month in pop photo. Next time- try to avoid having the horizon split the photo in the center. It will be more interesting if they meet at the upper or lower third of the frame. Also, the horizon appears to be slightly tilted and ought to be straightened.

Comment; excellent exposure for such a shot and I really like the shadows reaching back to the wide angle lens!! If I asked my wife to do that...well...she would have had to be in the photo because she is so intimidated by buttons!!! Tell her it's outstanding and print up a 16x20!!!

Thanks Jeff, I always appreciate your comments. I had another comment about how I needed to crop some of the empty space on top of the photo cropped out. I'll have to crop out some of the sky and straighten it out a bit. Thanks again!:D

Thanks KevinG for the compliment!
    edited October 11, 2007
    Another thought....
    If it were mine and I was planning on doing anything much with it in photoshop, I might at least make an attemp to get rid of the bicycle tracks. The footprints don't bother me so much, but the bike tracks kinda disrupt those awesome shadows. Be worth a try anyway.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    This is a touching moment and your wife did a really good job with getting that star-burst and you have a lot to work with here.

In post, I about the only thing I would do is:
    • Do something about the bicycle tracks
    • Crop out some of the sky
    • Level the horizon
  • Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    How about this?

IMG_2331a16x20copyweb.jpg
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    mmmm, I think there's an 'h' in there somewhere...

Cool shot, she did great with it. thumb.gifThat's one of those you will treasure for a very long time, I think.

I'm a bit unsure of the "level the horizon" bit - there's no horizon here so it's a very subjective thing. Maybe the edge of the water in the distance should be horizontal - or maybe the shoreline trails away at an angle? In shots like this with no obvious reference for horizontal or vertical I think it's best to just do what feels right. That being said, I think you over-tilted it to the left a touch in the edit. Just a thought -
    edited October 12, 2007
    Yup a tad to much on the tilt correction. Also I am now seeing some color banding in the sky above your head. If it isn't in the original size file no big deal, but I see it in the posted image.