frustrating keywords

nardynardy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited October 12, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I keep reading in the forums and on the smugmug site that in the control panel under homepage there is a box to edit the bio and add keywords. Where is it? Its is not here and there is no tab to hide or unhide them. I am getting so frustrated with this whole deal. I am a photographer not a web designer but it seems like I spend all my time searching in forums. I took photos of an event last weekend and cannot even get Google to find it and all my competitors have theirs listed. I look at their source code and its right there. I'm about over it. If you can tell me where to edit the bio and keywords it would be a start. Thanks

nardy

Comments

• AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    nardy wrote:
    I keep reading in the forums and on the smugmug site that in the control panel under homepage there is a box to edit the bio and add keywords. Where is it? Its is not here and there is no tab to hide or unhide them. I am getting so frustrated with this whole deal. I am a photographer not a web designer but it seems like I spend all my time searching in forums. I took photos of an event last weekend and cannot even get Google to find it and all my competitors have theirs listed. I look at their source code and its right there. I'm about over it. If you can tell me where to edit the bio and keywords it would be a start. Thanks

nardy

www.delmarvasportsphotography.com

Sorry for the confusion!

You can keyword individual photos (look for the "edit captions/keyword bulk" photo tool in the photo tool drop down menu in any gallery).

You can also add gallery keywords just for search engines like google. Do this on your customize gallery page.

The keyword box that you can choose to display on your homepage simply shows photo keywords you've used so your visitors can click on 'em for easier browsing. Here's an example of someone who's showing the keyword box on his homepage: http://sheaf.smugmug.com/ .

All the boxes you can show on your homepage are listed here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/homepage-boxes . In general, you can choose to show these on your homepage or hide them in your control panel by simply clicking "show" or "hide" as shown on that help page.

However, you've added code to your CSS box on your customization page that specifically hides some things. Examples:
    .homepage #keywordsBox {display: none}
    #photoKeywords {display: none;}
    .homepage #galleriesBox,
    .homepage #categoriesBox,
    .homepage #featuredBox {
    display: none;
    }

Your bio is another box you can choose to show on your homepage. There is a sneaky way to edit it, however, and I'm sorry we don't mention it explicitly anywhere! Try this: go to your control panel and click on the "settings" tab. Click on any "change" link in that tab. Then look for the "bio" link listed on the page. Click it and edit to your heart's content.

-Anne
  • nardynardy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2007
    still trying
    Anne

Thanks for the fast reply. I do have some galleries customized with keywords. I tried to be specific so they would show up but if I do a google search I get nothing. Some were added a few weeks ago but I deleted some and added others over the past few days and I don't know how long it should take for them to show up.

I do not want the keywords to show on my homepage so correct me if I am wrong because I am CSS challenged but I thought that the
    .homepage #keywordsBox {display: none} and
    #photoKeywords {display: none;} would take care of that. There is no option in the "homepage" to hide or unhide these so everytime I would type in some keywords they would appear on the homepage. The rest of the code I copied with the slideshow feature.

The link http://www.smugmug.com/help/homepage-boxes lists the features and I have all of them but the bio box and the keyword options. Is this because of the CSS code telling them to turn off? I tried deleting those lines and I still didnt see them in the homepage option.

I did find the bio option under settings and I edited this the other night but I still didnt see anything so I didnt know if this was the same as the one under the homepage option.

If I do a google search for delmarva sports photography I do get the site but it's underneath all the smugmug photo sharing junk first. I am trying to get my site name to come up when I search for it. Like www.mlyphotography.com This site comes up on google as Michelle Young Photography - powered by SmugMug
    Thanks again for your time.

nardy

AnneMcBean wrote:
    Sorry for the confusion!

You can keyword individual photos (look for the "edit captions/keyword bulk" photo tool in the photo tool drop down menu in any gallery).

You can also add gallery keywords just for search engines like google. Do this on your customize gallery page.

The keyword box that you can choose to display on your homepage simply shows photo keywords you've used so your visitors can click on 'em for easier browsing. Here's an example of someone who's showing the keyword box on his homepage: http://sheaf.smugmug.com/ .

All the boxes you can show on your homepage are listed here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/homepage-boxes . In general, you can choose to show these on your homepage or hide them in your control panel by simply clicking "show" or "hide" as shown on that help page.

However, you've added code to your CSS box on your customization page that specifically hides some things. Examples:
    .homepage #keywordsBox {display: none}
    #photoKeywords {display: none;}
    .homepage #galleriesBox,
    .homepage #categoriesBox,
    .homepage #featuredBox {
    display: none;
    }

Your bio is another box you can choose to show on your homepage. There is a sneaky way to edit it, however, and I'm sorry we don't mention it explicitly anywhere! Try this: go to your control panel and click on the "settings" tab. Click on any "change" link in that tab. Then look for the "bio" link listed on the page. Click it and edit to your heart's content.

-Anne
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Hi, I'm your house pro and I'll help too.

First of all, welcome wave.gif

Getting found takes some time - and energy. You have to "work the web" and do "the google dance."

Here's how:
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/MaximizeYourFindability

Follow ALL of my tips and I promise results thumb.gif
  • joachimjoachim Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Submitting to Search engines; web page analyzer
    Hello Andy,

I followed your link, and, regarding submitting to search engines:

there are web page analyzers that allow for bulk-submission to several search engines and, in that process, allow for change of title (removing "powered by smugmug") and change of the meta tags (that are currenlty automatic, un-changeable, set to "online photo albums, photo sharing, photo hosting, photo storage, albums, etc, etc", according to such a free analyzer.

Has anybody tried those? Example is on scrubtheweb.com

thanks
    joachim

Andy wrote:
    Hi, I'm your house pro and I'll help too.

First of all, welcome wave.gif

Getting found takes some time - and energy. You have to "work the web" and do "the google dance."

Here's how:
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/MaximizeYourFindability

Follow ALL of my tips and I promise results thumb.gif