Options

Just to introduce myself

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited March 6, 2005 in Sports
Just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am a photographer who specializes in racing (NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, Fiddle Back Racing, Toyota #66, Driver: Todd Bodine) and National Parks.

I am looking forward to a great time here in the message board.

The attached photo is last years truck which is a Ford #67 and was taken at the Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, KY.

Happy to be aboard.
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Welcome aboard Dixie!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    Just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am a photographer who specializes in racing (NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, Fiddle Back Racing, Toyota #66, Driver: Todd Bodine) and National Parks.

I am looking forward to a great time here in the message board.

The attached photo is last years truck which is a Ford #67 and was taken at the Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, KY.

Happy to be aboard.
    Another good one...so whats in your gear arsenal Dixie ?...some long stuff ?
  • Options
    Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Welcome to Dgrin Dixie! Looking foward to some more racing shots.
    -Mike
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Hi Dixiewave.gif :cheer Welcome welcome.. look forward to seeing your work.

Lynn 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Another good one...so whats in your gear arsenal Dixie ?...some long stuff ?
    Actually, not as long as you may imagine. I have a Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 which I use during daylight races, but I tend to shoot in the 150-250mm range. That lens is way too slow for the twilight and night races so last year I added the EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM lens to the arsenal which has worked out great and gets me the shot I need in most cases. I also have a Canon 2X teleconverter, but of course that halves the speed of the lens and I end up with lighting problems for stopping the action when I need to. I tend to shoot in the 1/100 -1/250 shutter speed range so that when I pan with the trucks I still get a slight illusion of speed by having the background blur slightly with the wheels blurred as they spin and still have enough shutter speed to capture a pretty sharp image of the truck itself.

I should also mention that I am a NASCAR licensed crew member for Fiddle Back Racing and that gets me right up to the firewall in the pits which gives me a pretty good advantage on being close to the action. Plus, I'm normally perched on top of a 7 foot tall tool wagon which gives me a pretty good angle to shoot over the safer barrier between the pits and the actual track.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Welcome Dixie. So now that we got a tease show us some more!
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Welcome Dixie. So now that we got a tease show us some more!
    I have to leave shortly for North Carolina, but will post more when I return the first of the week. Until then, here is a shot of Steadman Marlin, son of Sterling Marlin #40, who drove for us last year in Daytona.

So far there have been two truck races this year. I will start posting photos from this years races after the Atlanta race on March 18th. This year we are running a Toyota and our number is 66 with Todd Bodine behind the wheel.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    Welcome aboard!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    Welcome Dixie wave.gif

Nice pics and a very good tip about using somewhat slower shutter speeds to give the impression of speed (not to mention, tires rotating) clap.gif

I think you're gonna like it here nod.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Welcome aboard, its great to photo Nascar, I'm in talks with Lowes Motor Speedway about shooting the Coke-Cola 600 night race clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Welcome aboard, its great to photo Nascar, I'm in talks with Lowes Motor Speedway about shooting the Coke-Cola 600 night race clap.gif
    If you've never done night racing before just let me know and I'll pass on what I can to help you. I have to shoot at high ISO settings to get many of my shots. There is a piece of software named Noise Ninja which does a great job of removing noise from high ISO settings. I'm still in North Carolina, but when I get home tonight I'll get the link for the site where Noise Ninja can be purchased. It does an absolutely great job and if I remember correctly it sells for about $79.

Noise Ninja has definitely savaged a load of night shots for me. It also handles the processing in batch which also makes it a great tool when you shoot so many shots (I sometimes do close to a 1,000 shots per race just to get what I need). I shoot in multi-shot mode and generally fire from 3-5 shots per then pick the best from the series.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    The link for Noise Ninja 2 is http://www.picturecode.com.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie