Cannon Beach, OR

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited October 13, 2007 in Landscapes
This is an old shot I took of Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach, OR. It was, at the time, a snapshot -- I found myself with no tripod, no wide angle, resting the camera the best I could on a jagged log... so I never thought of it as a great shot. Recently however, I revived it as a way to play with Photoshop. Some folks have suggested that I get rid of the person and dog. They are too small, and serve as distraction more than anything else. But, in my estimation, given the bad quality of the shot itself, the dog and person are what piques my interest. Any thoughts?

cannonbeach.jpg

I have no EXIF info with me right now, but I'll try to post it later. If anything, the shot has been an eye opener in terms of learning more about post-processing, and looking deeply again at old pics.

Thanks,

N
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited October 13, 2007
    Looks like a beautiful spot.

The dog and person are so small that I hardly noticed them. I don't think it matters whether you clone them out. What I would like to see is a wider color range, but I don't know what possibilities there are with the original.

Regards,
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I've learned to respect people who walk into my shots. The person and the dog lend a sense of scale to the scene, which is invaluable. However I think the location of where they are in this picture could be better. Next time could ya maybe make them walk through the brighter part of the beach where there's water? :D
  • rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I agree with Schmoo, I think that they add a good sense of scale. For me, it also transforms it from a pure landscape shot to something else. It gives it a small human element, more than just the nature shot.
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Thanks
    Thanks folks. I wish I could have controlled the folks walking, but... no such luck. I agree with all the comments. It is one of those pics that I took and kept thinking "I wish..." "I wish that..." and then realized, what the heck, it's where I am, with whatever I have on me. Let's enjoy the moment. I learned much from that moment, and still am enjoying it. It has good memories attached to it of spending time with my son at the coast, so the picture was more of an afterthought.

Yes, a wider color range would be nice. I might play a bit more with it, but the original did not have tons of range. Thanks for all the thoughts, I appreciate them all.

gassho,

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Well, for just a snapshot at the time, I think you've made something quite lovely here. The subject matter is great, and I like the person and dog for the reasons already stated. I'm not sure I would have settled on this much purple for my own tastes, but it is fun to try new things and learn new PP techniques! Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography