lens field of view gadget

jeffajeffa Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited October 16, 2007 in Cameras
I have been wading through the web looking for information on the field of view of lenses. I coudnt find anything really good out there that would help me visualise the differences, so I put something together myself.

Figured I should share my Lens Field of View Tool

As ever your comments and feedback are greatfully received. I aim to please

Cheers

Comments

• wesleytwesleyt Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Jeff,

Neat tool; thanks! I expect it will be a very useful teaching tool.

Regards,
    Wes
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    wesleyt wrote:
    Jeff,

Neat tool; thanks! I expect it will be a very useful teaching tool.

Regards,
    Wes

I found this to be quite helpful....now "crop factor" is making sense to me. With the help of your tool, I think I finally understand what crop factor means, and how it differs from magnification.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Well, there is this page on the Tamron site: http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php

However, it doesn't account for comparing the various crop factors. Your tool is a nice addition for that.
  • jeffajeffa Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    FOV Tool
    Well, there is this page on the Tamron site: http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learning_center/tools/focal-length-comparison.php

However, it doesn't account for comparing the various crop factors. Your tool is a nice addition for that.

Hi,

Yeah, I saw the Tamron one on my travels, it pretty slick. It probably inspired my to some extent, but I was keen to do something generic that would apply (at least in theory) to any lens, by any manufacturer, on any body.

Thanks for you feedback

p.s. Do you mind if I transpose you comments here into the comments for the tool on my website?
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    jeffa wrote:
    Hi,

Yeah, I saw the Tamron one on my travels, it pretty slick. It probably inspired my to some extent, but I was keen to do something generic that would apply (at least in theory) to any lens, by any manufacturer, on any body.

Thanks for you feedback

p.s. Do you mind if I transpose you comments here into the comments for the tool on my website?

Not at all, though they are pretty brief.