Comments on Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, please.

Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited October 16, 2007 in Cameras
Greetings,

I am seriously contemplating the purchase of the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 lens with VR (vibration reduction/image stabilization) and I was wondering if those of you who have it in your bag could share a bit about your experiences with it.

I am particularly interested in seeing people post some images made with this lens in LOW LIGHT situations. I shoot a lot in large scale indoor venues, many with deeply saturated specialty lighting, and am trying to determine if this would be a good lens for my uses.

Also, if you care to add a few words summing up the pros and cons you have experienced while using this lens, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!

So, don't be shy. Post away...

Comments

• billg71billg71 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    All I can say is WOW!
    Howard, the 70-200 is, IMHO, absolutely awesome! I was perfectly happy with my 80-200/2.8 D until I used a friend's copy of this lens for a few minutes, then it was off to the races...:D I sold the 80-200, the 20-35, and a NIB FM-3A to finance the purchase and have no regrets whatsoever.

I don't have any low-light shots from this lens to show you, but here's a shot wide open at 200mm, ISO400:
    _DSC2512-1.jpg

And almost the same shot at f8:
    _DSC2515.jpg

After looking at these, I was absolutely amazed at how little difference there was in IQ and sharpness between wide-open and 3 stops down. There IS a small difference, but you have to look at the original files at 100% to be able to see it.

The 70-200VR is an incredible example of what Nikon can produce. Whether it fits your needs and your budget is a question you have to answer for yourself.

Bill
  • Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Thanks, Bill, I appreciate you sharing these shots. Looks awesome! Well, I couldn't wait. I went ahead and ordered the lens earlier today. It will be some days before it arrives on my doorstep, but from what I see here, I'm sure I'll be pleased.

Again, thank you.
  • billg71billg71 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    Thanks, Bill, I appreciate you sharing these shots. Looks awesome! Well, I couldn't wait. I went ahead and ordered the lens earlier today. It will be some days before it arrives on my doorstep, but from what I see here, I'm sure I'll be pleased.

Again, thank you.

Howard, after consulting my crystal ball and especially considering what you're using for glass now, I hereby predict that you will not only be pleased, you'll be astounded! thumb.gifbow

Stock up on Band-Aids, you may cut yourself on the files you get from the 70-200! I did....eek7.gif

Bill
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007

Again, thank you.

Congrats on the purchase! Simply said, you will love it.. It is amazingly sharp.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
  • Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    Check out this thread for some thoughts and pics.

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=60223

Mitchell, thanks so much for pointing me to that thread. It was just the kind of dialogue I was hoping to find. As I mentioned earlier, I have ordered the VR 70-200, and I can't wait until it arrives. I'll post some pictures here after I give it a test run. I have some jobs coming up that seem tailor made for this lens.