can I borrow 2cents please?

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited October 14, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am leaving on a trip tomorrow morning that will most likely not include anything theme related so...

I thought I would ask for some opinions.

1. Leave my currrent entry.

Leg Liberation
204924015-M.jpg

2. Under the Wave
205967535-M.jpg

3. convergence
206319503-M.jpg

4. face of the ancients
206346718-M.jpg

5. try again next round. (no photo)

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look.

Sean

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    All three of your craggy shots truely are craggy shots. Nice visuals for the theme. I'm not qualified to pick the best of the three, but the one (second in series) with the ferry is pretty cool! I really like the balance, feel, and sharpness of #4 in the series. I am not a fan of #1. Even though you are (I believe) trying to get me to feel 'smooth' I actually am feeling 'bumpy' which is not quite 'craggy'. Of course, IMHO.
    Growing with Dgrin

• FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    I'm partial to Leg Liberation because it made me laugh rolleyes1.gifand because it reminded me how fetter my legs are...
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    All three of your craggy shots truely are craggy shots. Nice visuals for the theme. I'm not qualified to pick the best of the three, but the one (second in series) with the ferry is pretty cool! I really like the balance, feel, and sharpness of #4 in the series. I am not a fan of #1. Even though you are (I believe) trying to get me to feel 'smooth' I actually am feeling 'bumpy' which is not quite 'craggy'. Of course, IMHO.

Thanks leaforte, It's great to have feedback like this, I'll put everything on a scale and see where things balance out in the end. Your not the only one that has voiced a like for #4 and It has grown on me that is why I included it in the choices.

Thanks again.
    edited October 12, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    I'm partial to Leg Liberation because it made me laugh rolleyes1.gifand because it reminded me how fetter my legs are...

fetter = better? just so it's clear it is NOT my leg mwink.gif

I'm tickled to hear it made you laugh, thanks.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Shaving is a good idea (I thought for a while about shooting one myself) but i think "Under the Wave" is the strongest image.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Sherstone, I'm torn here, but got to be honest. I made a mistake and meant that I liked three in the series for sharpness, clarity, and theme. Off of theme, I also really like how it looks like a Sea Monster (anything over 12 inches max to me is a Sea Monster) coming up on shore, or at least trying. There is also a magical connection from the swirl of the waves, as to how the natural sculpure was erected. Just my opinion. #4 is cool too. Like I said, my opinion should always be taken with a grain of salt (gulp).
    Growing with Dgrin

edited October 12, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    ... my opinion should always be taken with a grain of salt (gulp).

The way I look at it all opinions are of equal importance no matter how qualified the opinion giver feels. You know what you like and dislike so that IMO makes you qualified.

Thanks for the clarification. thumb.gif
    edited October 12, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    fetter = better? just so it's clear it is NOT my leg mwink.gif

I'm tickled to hear it made you laugh, thanks.

Typo... that was supposed to be fettered... AKA NOT liberated of hair... AKA just don't have the time...

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    ... i think "Under the Wave" is the strongest image.

15524779-Ti.gif
    edited October 12, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Shaving is a good idea (I thought for a while about shooting one myself) but i think "Under the Wave" is the strongest image.
    richtersl wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Thanks both of you for your thoughts -- I think I might work on the light balance a bit more if I decide to use that image.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    I love #1 for it's cleverness in the message. It's well shot, love the color combos and totally says smooth.

Out of the other shots, I really like #2, but would personally consider cropping some from the left of the frame.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    I love #1 for it's cleverness in the message. It's well shot, love the color combos and totally says smooth.

Out of the other shots, I really like #2, but would personally consider cropping some from the left of the frame.

Emily

I agree about #1, but I'm trying to decide if I like or dislike the texture of the skin. You're trying to get the idea of "smooth" across, so I wonder if using the spot healing tool on the skin to make it look really smooth would look even better. Overall, I like the green background as a contrast to the red razor and the diagonal line of the leg.
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I'll wade in and say that I think you should stick with your current entry for 3 reasons:

1. "free from hair" is a definition of smooth (eg. see here: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/smooth) and I instantly picked up on the theme when you posted the shot;

2. The colors are great and the image grabs my eye; and

3. It's different to anything else which makes it stand-out.

Particularly in relation to #3, I think there are plenty of shots posted and or asking for opinions where the "craggy" nature of the subject is the whole story. So if you post one of the craggy shots, it will just be another one in the pile.

I think the smooth shot has more depth to it.

Just my 0.02.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    #1!

Your craggy shots are fantastic, but your smooth shot is the winner.

Jesse
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    I still really like your current entry. The story, composition, and color are all very engaging. An earlier suggestion about cloning the smooth portion of the leg to make it look even smoother would give it that extra oomph, I think. Love your original idea. thumb.gif
    edited October 14, 2007
    Thanks everyone!

I think its pretty clear from the general consensus that the original entry is something that should stay put.

Thank you for all your suggestions and feedback - I find it very invaluable and helpful
    edited October 14, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    ... Even though you are (I believe) trying to get me to feel 'smooth' I actually am feeling 'bumpy' which is not quite 'craggy'. Of course, IMHO.
    MarkTodd wrote:
    I agree about #1, ... You're trying to get the idea of "smooth" across, so I wonder if using the spot healing tool on the skin to make it look really smooth would look even better. ...
    Llywellyn wrote:
    ... An earlier suggestion about cloning the smooth portion of the leg to make it look even smoother would give it that extra oomph, I think. Love your original idea. thumb.gif

Thanks for the suggestion,

Done! and updated

208102213-M.jpg
    edited October 14, 2007
    Hey Sherstone! My legs have now been liberated and are no longer fettered!!! Well... for another day or so... dang Mediterranean genes! :D

edited October 14, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    Hey Sherstone! My legs have now been liberated and are no longer fettered!!! Well... for another day or so... dang Mediterranean genes! :D

Is it not accepted practice to leave legs and other hairy sections of the body un-liberated, in certain countries?
    edited October 14, 2007
    Oh, it's accepted in many countries... just not the one I'm currently living in. Not that I didn't try to live leg liberated while in college. But... I got no dates. :cry Anyway, TMI?