Options

How do you take this shot or why would you want to

VivianGVivianG Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited March 5, 2005 in Technique
Hi all,

First thanks to Nir for teaching me how to post here. Here's the question how would you take this shot getting the photographer and the image in the other mirror in focus? Thank you for your help.
16877102-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    You need to increase your f value so that the lens aperture gets smaller and the depth of field gets greater.

Watch your shutter speed though as it will slow down, if it gets too slow your image will start to get blurred because of camera shake!

Have a look here for a more detailed discussion.

I hope that helps :D
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Ignoring the fact that this has to be one of the worst ways to do a self portrait in the history of photography...mwink.gif

Another thing that will give you a larger DOF is to use smaller focal lengths. So don't zoom in as much. Use a wider angle and get closer to the mirror.
    VivianG wrote:
    Hi all,

First thanks to Nir for teaching me how to post here. Here's the question how would you take this shot getting the photographer and the image in the other mirror in focus? Thank you for your help.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    Vivian,

While I agree with Shay's point about this not being the best way to do a self portrait, I do like your use of multiple mirrors to get that endless number of images effect, that trail off into the distance thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    Thanks to all of you for your help. I really wasn't trying to make a self portrait I was trying to understand aperture, depth of field and focus...phewwww. I know I know.... keep reading. Besides at that time of the morning if I took a self portrait I would crack my lens rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Adding a mirror makes it a lot more interesting. naughty.gif Andy and I had a discussion about this. The image in the mirror is further away than the mirror's surface. It's actually exactly twice as far from the camera as the mirror's surface. Kinda cool.

13990792-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    gee, thanks sid....
    wxwax wrote:
    Adding a mirror makes it a lot more interesting. naughty.gif Andy and I had a discussion about this. The image in the mirror is further away than the mirror's surface. It's actually exactly twice as far from the camera as the mirror's surface. Kinda cool.

for makin' my head hurt again with all that math 'n stuff

10852456-Ti.gif

lol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    for makin' my head hurt again with all that math 'n stuff

10852456-Ti.gif
    lol3.giflol3.gif

:lol
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

13990792-M.jpg

you sexy man you, is it just me or do the rest of yall suddenly want to buy a gillette razor?

cb
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Self portrait before and after the surgery:

16922299-M.jpg

16922298-M.jpg
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifroflol.gif
    Name of the Dr. please.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifroflol.gif
    Name of the Dr. please.
    Dr Katz....sorry sorry.....very famous here in upstate new yorkrolleyes1.gif