Caterpillar Hole

teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited October 13, 2007 in Holy Macro
Tonight while walking around the lake, I came across a caterpillar that appeared to be licking a leaf.
It took a closer look to see it was not licking it was eating a hole and, the leaf was not a leaf but a POD of some kind.
After finishing its hole, the caterpillar squeezed inside. See a series shots here. I love this stuff.

207433019-L.jpg
“I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
— Lord Byron

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Tonight while walking around the lake, I came across a caterpillar that appeared to be licking a leaf.
    It took a closer look to see it was not licking it was eating a hole and, the leaf was not a leaf but a POD of some kind.
    After finishing its hole, the caterpillar squeezed inside. See a series shots here. I love this stuff.

Excellent series of captures - interesting behaviour. Wonder if it was a temporary home or whether the insides are better eating (or both).
    Brian V
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Thanks
    Excellent series of captures - interesting behaviour. Wonder if it was a temporary home or whether the insides are better eating (or both).
    Brian V

I was thinking the same thing.... a home? Maybe it goes inside to make its cocoon? Would have plenty to eat while building it. If I find anything on the web about it I will post it here. MM

Couldn't find them name of this Caterpillar but did find a few references referring to a Caterpillar that turns into a moth and it spends its larvae stage in a seed Pod.
    — Lord Byron
  • zeveckzeveck Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 13, 2007
    Mind if I ask what camera/lens you used?
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Not at all
    zeveck wrote:
    Mind if I ask what camera/lens you used?

Nikon D200 Aperture Priority Mode, most images with a Nikon 105mm f2.8 Macro, last few I use a Nikon 50mm f1.4with a full set of extension tubes (my first time using all of them at the same time) all with SB800 flash.
    — Lord Byron
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2007
    Love your photos...would make a great story for a childrens book!

Patricia......:D